Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm finding out that the Expanse rifles are a mash up of parts. No 2 alike,  it seems.

If he pulled the bolt from a factory LE6920, it should be marked MP C. But you know that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I received the second bolt from this guy, and he swears up and down he pulled the bolt from a LE6920 himself.  The bolt is marked MP..   No C mark under the extractor, no enhanced copper color extractor spring.  It's definitely nicer than the Delton bolt he initially sent, but still not Colt as he claimed.  I figured he'd stiff me with an Expanse bolt but this thing isn't even Colt.  I don't know how I should proceed?  I already let him know it's not Colt, so I'll wait for his response.  He sent a cam pin and firing pin retaining pin this time and it's a decent bolt but it isn't Colt which is what I need.  I'm thinking about just giving him a bad review at this point, I've wasted enough of my time.  I've explained the details, he's using blunt force tactics trying to wear me down or hoping I'll believe his repeated lies.  I think I'll probably call Colt and let them know that he's selling Colt take off parts that aren't Colt if he gives me another line of bull...  
View Quote
I confirmed that Colt uses the MP mark but it's larger than the mark on this bolt.  The only other alternative I can find is earlier LMT bolt.  I believe it may be Colt, but the silver extractor spring and no C marking inside extractor is strange.  It also came with a viton oring which I don't recall any of my Colts having?  It looks like a good bolt.  So basically, I probably didn't get a Colt bolt, but I can't confirm it.  I sent and RFI to Colt asking if they have changed the bolts they are putting in 6920's waiting a response. 
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two factory 6920 OEM's with bolts with no markings.  Right from the factory...

Adding the Expanse is 
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have two factory 6920 OEM's with bolts with no markings.  Right from the factory...

Adding the Expanse is 
View Quote

I wouldn't pay the Colt price for unmarked parts.

May as well buy a DPMS Oracle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Adding the Expanse is 
View Quote
I bet your extractor is marked "C"  on the underside and has a copper colored enhanced spring.   It probably also has the Colt milspec distinctive coating.  

I can tell my bolt is good quality but it's  not Colt as advertised.  I'm  surprised a company that sells as much product as these people play these games. 
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
So the Expanse is basically a more expensive Anderson with different horse markings?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So the Expanse is basically a more expensive Anderson with different horse markings?
View Quote

Whoah.

IBTL.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:46:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Whoah.

IBTL.
View Quote

IIRC They did that with the Colt 9200
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IIRC They did that with the Colt 9200
View Quote

All I know is IF I purchased a 6920, and it had the budget parts like the Expanse, I'd be pissed off.
The components may be Colt branded, but I do not believe that we are comparing apples to apples.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:38:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All I know is IF I purchased a 6920, and it had the budget parts like the Expanse, I'd be pissed off.
The components may be Colt branded, but I do not believe that we are comparing apples to apples.
View Quote

Anyone would be pissed since its basically a bait and switch.

I would seriously love it if anyone with both an expanse and an anderson rifle or even bcg could compare the two.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#12]
6920 parts may show up in Expanses, no Expanse parts in 6920s.
Following is an email response that I recieved from Colt CS on my questions regarding the variance of components markings. Figured I would pass it on.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
^^^ Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd rather have that DTI bolt than an Expanse bolt.

And jeez, what is with messing with gas tube specs?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd rather have that DTI bolt than an Expanse bolt.

And jeez, what is with messing with gas tube specs?
View Quote
I know it's insanity! Someone must be clownin around..   I don't know which bolt I have now, it's better than a DTI bolt so I guess I could be worse off.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
6920 parts may show up in Expanses, no Expanse parts in 6920s.
Following is an email response that I recieved from Colt CS on my questions regarding the variance of components markings. Figured I would pass it on.
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/2683/JfzJXA.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/1176/2EQJRU.png
View Quote
Good info btw.  Beneficial for everyone to know this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:41:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good info btw.  Beneficial for everyone to know this stuff.
View Quote
This is awesome info.  Really clears things up.  I hate it when I get swindled.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought this rifle-

It's an expanse with what is supposedly a Colt produced SOCOM barrel. I'm deployed right now, but when I'm back in July, I'll take detailed pictures of the parts and markings and post.  

Here's what I'm tracking so far-

-the lower receiver itself is definitely colt
-the fire control group is colt, but odd colt parts and possible a strange notched hammer
-the receiver extension is 4-position mil spec diameter, with a P&S stock and pistol grip
-no h buffer
-the magazine catch is not standard colt
-the selector switch may or may not be colt
-the upper receiver itself is sub-contracted
-the barrel is colt socom 1/7 chrome lined 14.5" (with pinned fh)
-the bolt may or may not be colt
-the carrier is not colt, but is of high quality.

Am I correct so far?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Where'd you buy it?

14.5" SOCOM barreled uppers are out but I have not seen them around here. Colt overruns , I hear.
Definitely an improvement for the Expanse.

Appears to be a stock photo, in for pics of the one you bought.

Skinny handguards are throwing me though. ???

Eta: I was just at my lgs, skinny handguards all around in the Expanses here. Sale today @$750. $899 for 6920.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Are the skinny handguards double shielded?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Note to self: change out gas tube.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I may have missed it OP but who was the gunbroker seller that was trying to pass off Expanse parts as real Colt? I bid on a "Colt" upper last night and come to find out it's a SOCOM barreled Expanse, just wondering if it's the same guy.

You can PM me if you don't want to say publically.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want a Colt, with Colt marked components, then hold it in your hands and inspect it before purchasing.

Too many slapped together factory rifles and too much secondhand  swapping going on.

True Colts are assembled in CT.

Half breed "Colt"  rifles are assembled in TX.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They have to do something to get out from under the thumb oh the union.
View Quote
Colt could have a workforce made up of loyal oompa loompas that live in the factory and work 80 hours a week for $5 an hour, not sure it would make much difference with all their boneheaded management decisions.

BTW, are they still making Expanses now that the Texas operation has gone belly up?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What makes it a "bad" product? It's an entry-level gun priced a little higher than others. Other than the Colt Competition hammer, and standard buffer the lower is identical  to my 6920.

While Colt probably should have offered a nitride barrel, the upper is serviceable for the average shooter.
View Quote
The use of the term "entry level" here is what is at issue.

The USGI specs do not necessarily call for the best parts in many cases, not by a long shot, but there are rifles that deliberately cut corners to be cheap.   This is one of them.

There are better options for something that retails for less than the already low 6920 street price.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Okay. I'm going to avoid this thing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I hear that Colts TX based "Colt Competition" operation is shitcanned?

If so, (and all reports seem legit), where will the Expanse line be assembled?

Colt has always been adamant about "no Expanse/6920 parts can ever be intermingled due to one being assembled in CT, the other in TX".

Shit will get real squirrely now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chris Bartocci did a review of the Expanse on youtube, and basically the only thing Colt on it is the lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUnGhScNX24
View Quote
Chris Bartocci, is AR God!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Colt 1/7 14.5" (P&W)

Expanse HB

Unboxing HB
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top