Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2016 6:24:02 PM EDT
Just a heads up for anyone who may be thinking about purchasing a SOTA Arms Billet Lower Receiver.  DON'T!!!   Bought two of these recently, and quite honestly, they look to be very nice quality, but that's where it ends.  I own PMAGS gen 2 and gen 3, HexMags, and Troy Battlemags.  NONE FIT!!  Gen 2 pmags  and Battlemags, can be "beat in" but DO NOT DROP FREE at all.  They must be forcefully yanked out.  Gen 3 and Hexmags  are a total wash.  

I called SOTA in an attempt to find out whats going on.  When I got the customer service guy (can't remember his name) I started the conversation with "Hey, how you doing today?".  Crickets on the other end except for an audible "SIGH".  

I proceeded to tell him about the issue, and told him that a friend brought over a D&H USGI mag, and it was the only one of 5 mags that fit.  His answer was... "So, whats the problem?". Just go buy some USGI mags.  I explained that I own 70 mags and I'm not buying more to use ONLY on this lower. He then responded with..."Then file down your other mags to fit".  My response was..."really?  That's your solution?".  It got worse from there and I hung up.

I wrote to corporate at SOTA and a woman named Joann Trombley who claims to be "operations managenor" responded 4 DAYS LATER, that she would certainly look into it.  I replied, and here we are two days later with no response.

So, I got burned for $218.00, and I hope no one else gets took.  If you are so inclined, feel free to flood their e-mail / contact page and ask WHY these only fit USGI mags, and they have no disclaimer or notice stating this.  

http://sotaarms.com/contact-us
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut them up into peices and post a photo in this thread.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the only way to prove your right.

Also you have no GI mags?(of your own)
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The AR/M16 Platform is only spec'd out for the USGI mag, so I am not surprised when you run into a few brands that don't fit, I have been lucky all of my mags fit all of my guns, some are tight, but they fit and function, I can't ask for more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of a retarded response.  Even if I did, in a SHTF scenario, why would anyone want a rifle or pistol that only accepts one type of mag.  I've got 9 other brands of lowers on my rifles & pistols, and not a single issue with any mag I own.  With that said, I'm not against USGI mags.  In fact I've tried to buy the D&H from PSA multiple times, but keep missing them on sale because of my work schedule.  This is not a matter of mags being TIGHT.  HexMags and PMAG gen 3's will NOT insert in any way, shape or form.

I didn't start this thread to get into a pissing match.  Just to offer a heads up, so someone else doesn't get taken.  $109 for a billet lower was a good deal, or so I thought.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's kind of a retarded response.  Even if I did, in a SHTF scenario, why would anyone want a rifle or pistol that only accepts one type of mag.  I've got 9 other brands of lowers on my rifles & pistols, and not a single issue with any mag I own.  With that said, I'm not against USGI mags.  In fact I've tried to buy the D&H from PSA multiple times, but keep missing them on sale because of my work schedule.  This is not a matter of mags being TIGHT.  HexMags and PMAG gen 3's will NOT insert in any way, shape or form.

I didn't start this thread to get into a pissing match.  Just to offer a heads up, so someone else doesn't get taken.  $109 for a billet lower was a good deal, or so I thought.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should refund or replace your lowers.  They should not be that tight as to only accept USGI mags. Thank you for posting this and it will help others from wasting their money. You are a good American.

That said, a few years ago, a poster had a problem with their Spikes lower and before Spikes could make it right they cut up their lower and posted photos in his thread.  We all had a good laugh.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's kind of a retarded response.  Even if I did, in a SHTF scenario, why would anyone want a rifle or pistol that only accepts one type of mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of a retarded response.  Even if I did, in a SHTF scenario, why would anyone want a rifle or pistol that only accepts one type of mag.

In the almost 30 years I served, we only had one type of magazine, and we were actually in SHTF scenarios, you should contact your credit card company and let them know you are having a problem with a product you purchase, normally, the credit card companies will help when things like this.

You purchased from a virtually unknown small company and things didn't work out, you have options available to be made whole again.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Send another email to customer service, and point out you have documented all contact with them and you are filing with the BBB a complaint, and posting on the forum of the experience you had and that should get you what you seek. Also the credit card thing is a good avenue too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Well i have 2 of their billit lowers. I am planning to build a grendel and 6.8 spc on them.

Both mags for these calibers fit snug/tight and will not drop free. Ended up finding the anodizing is a little thick.. Since I will rarely look inside the mag well, I took some fine wet/dry sand paper and sanded. Test fir ten sanded more. Now both caliber mags drop free and there is still anodizing in the mag well.

Can not even tell the sanding was done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top