Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2016 2:20:06 PM EDT
Looking to do another lightweight build. Already have two 16 inch light weight rifles. Was looking at the 18 inch gunner since it has rifle lentgh gas system. What is your guys thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Faxon makes great barrels.  I say go for it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Been running one on my 3-Gun stick for 3-4 months now.  That rifle is damn near magic.  It's accurate, lightweight, and the groups don't open up after a mag dump like they did with Voodo pencil profile barrels.

Love that thing.  Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
do it and let us know. thats the exact barrel i want to replace my cut down BCM GI. i had my 20" GI cut to 18'. love the rifle length gas in 18's. just wanted a lighter profile and i am a believer in nitrided chambers and bores.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do it and let us know. thats the exact barrel i want to replace my cut down BCM GI. i had my 20" GI cut to 18'. love the rifle length gas in 18's. just wanted a lighter profile and i am a believer in nitrided chambers and bores.
View Quote

FYI, Faxon doesn't nitride the chamber/barrel extension. Just the barrel itself. The barrel extension is just black oxide.

This is what led me to get a Ballistic Advantage barrel and have it cut turned down instead, their chambers are nitrided.

I'm sure it's not a huge deal, but it was for my "shtf-super-smooth-kick-ass" build, so I didn't want a chamber with just black oxide. I really wish they would start nitriding the damned barrel extensions though, I want one of those 18 inch barrels.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Are.you guys running your barrel free floated? I am looking at the alg defense  12 inch rail.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I did not realize they didn't nitride the chamber, that might not work for me then.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did not realize they didn't nitride the chamber, that might not work for me then.
View Quote

Faxon, start nitriding the chamber extensions! We don't mind paying a little extra!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

FYI, Faxon doesn't nitride the chamber/barrel extension. Just the barrel itself. The barrel extension is just black oxide.

This is what led me to get a Ballistic Advantage barrel and have it cut turned down instead, their chambers are nitrided.

I'm sure it's not a huge deal, but it was for my "shtf-super-smooth-kick-ass" build, so I didn't want a chamber with just black oxide. I really wish they would start nitriding the damned barrel extensions though, I want one of those 18 inch barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oooh...thanks for that info, i missed that detail. non-nitrided chamber and bore is a deal killer for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are.you guys running your barrel free floated? I am looking at the alg defense  12 inch rail.
View Quote

Yes.. Free float Aero 15" with an SLR adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oooh...thanks for that info, i missed that detail. non-nitrided chamber and bore is a deal killer for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chamber and bore IS nitrided.  He's talking about the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#12]
The chamber is nitrided on Faxon barrels.  The barrel extension is not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chamber IS nitrided.  This is how bad information starts spreading around.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#14]
that makes more sense. didnt really see how that could be or why they would not nitrided a chamber. non-nitrided extension doesnt seem like a deal killer.

thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Faxon, start nitriding the chamber extensions! We don't mind paying a little extra!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First off, what is a "chamber extension?"    Secondly, Faxon does nitride their chambers (I'm not even sure how, or more importantly why, Faxon would go about nitriding the entire barrel minus the chamber).  Where the hell do you people come up with this shit?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my 18" Gunner.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We absolutely DO ensure the chamber and bore is nitrided with the barrel.

The barrel goes through the nitride process before an extension is attached. At that point, the entire barrel (inside and outside) is treated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The barrel goes through the nitride process before an extension is attached. At that point, the entire barrel (inside and outside) is treated.

glad you chimed in on this, along with the other guy to clear the air on your nitriding. i'll be getting a 18" gunner soon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

First off, what is a "chamber extension?"    Secondly, Faxon does nitride their chambers (I'm not even sure how, or more importantly why, Faxon would go about nitriding the entire barrel minus the chamber).  Where the hell do you people come up with this shit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I got the barrel extension but didn't believe for a second that the chamber wasn't nitrided. That would be impossible AFAIK
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like on BA premium barrels they nickel boron the extensions
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We're honored to be selected! Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

glad you chimed in on this, along with the other guy to clear the air on your nitriding. i'll be getting a 18" gunner soon.

We're honored to be selected! Thank you.

and with that said....now you're out of stock on the 18" gunner!  how long before restocked?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Call me personally. We have a few socked away for special customers.
View Quote

And folks, that right there is how you do customer service!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top