Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2016 3:04:35 PM EDT
I have been looking to replace my buffer extensions, they were bought Pre-Obama and mil-spec buffer extensions were hard to find back then. Now I have some ratty looking buffer extensions and I am very happy with my NEW stocks so I don't want to go mil-spec because i don't want to have to change my stocks.  Anyway back to the point is it me or are they slowly disappearing?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy on the EE.  Most swap them for Milspec  right away and sell off the comm. tubes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
We don't carry them in the store anymore, but will order one for you if you want it. To little call for them on a day to day basis to stock them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Rock River Arms still makes and sells the commercial extensions. Thats where I have gotten mine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Should have never been one to start with...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems you lack in historical knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?????
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

?????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?????

Commercial tubes came about because the information on mil spec was not available at the time these guns came to the public and they have held over.

When I was in the military, there was a lot of stuff we wished we had access to because the mil spec stuff was crap.

Historical knowledge is important when talking about arms we have used in the military.

mil spec is not always the best spec, despite what the government tells us.

Hey Tig, 1 more post and you will hit a 1000!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#10]
1K.
Morning Dave. Its been a wild ride. Great site tho.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1K.
Morning Dave. Its been a wild ride. Great site tho.
View Quote

Morning Tig, time for a cup of coffee!

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#12]
The fact that milspec tubes have rolled threads and comm.have cut threads(which are weaker) is enough reason for me to choose milspec.  That and , as far as I know,  not sure anyone makes a comm. tube outta 7075? I may be wrong.
Just a matter of personal preference, I suppose.

Pepsi here Dave
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The fact that milspec tubes have rolled threads and comm.have cut threads(which are weaker) is enough reason for me to choose milspec.  That and , as far as I know,  not sure anyone makes a comm. tube outta 7075? I may be wrong.
Just a matter of personal preference, I suppose.

Pepsi here Dave
View Quote

Hell, I have not gone to bed, so I am still drinking whiskey, but the coffee pot is brewing me a fresh cup of joe.

Unless you mortar your gun a lot, rolled or cut is not going to make a difference, I have never broke a tube and I hit a Iraqie in the head with my gun once, not a pretty picture.

I think I am going coyote hunting and get away from the computer for a while!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great ..another new guy who is going to school us all...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Guy?

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Commercial tubes came about because the information on mil spec was not available at the time these guns came to the public and they have held over.

When I was in the military, there was a lot of stuff we wished we had access to because the mil spec stuff was crap.

Historical knowledge is important when talking about arms we have used in the military.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?????

Because it could not be reverse engineered?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Basically it was reversed engineered from pictures and that is why the commercial tube is around.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Even if you buy a new DPMS?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Even if you buy a new DPMS?
View Quote

The last DPMS I purchase last Dec. had a commercial tube on it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

New Guy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Guy?

Try not to ASSume your the smartest guy in the room.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Guy?

Not me, I am probably the dumbest guy in the room, I know about some things, but can assure you I don't know about everything.

I ask questions all the time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is truth in this. It only cost me 5 years of my life to learn this (Navy). I got to fix so many pieces of junk (not gum related though) that met the "milspec" minimum but cost 5 times the price of a comparable commercial offering.

But I still have milspec tubes in my ARs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I just bought one. Apparently all the buttstocks I've been sitting on are not mil-spec. Collected a few over the years from one trade or another but never bothered to check them. And apparently there are more than two sizes of tubes floating around as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Just last month I changed out the very last of my Commercial Tubes for Milspec. Local pawn shop that swaps stocks all the time has a whole drawer full of commercial tubes they have pulled off guns. Nobody wants them anymore. Having said that, there are some commercial tubes that are probably better than "Milspec Diameter" tubes which could be made of cheaper aluminum and have cut threads anyway..... Gotta be careful when buying stuff....
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I read somewhere once that the commercial tubes were stronger. That most likely isn't true. It's most likely true that they are equally strong. Like mentioned before, it's more about manufacturing costs that dictate why there is a difference. Here is an interesting article about mil-spec and what it means. It reminds me of my buddy who was in the army who said that when ever you see "mil-spec" replace it with minimum spec. I believe the article backs up that point. None the less, in the last ten years commercial tubes are being used less and mil-spec tubes are being used more, at least, that's my observation. However, I fear when you see the word "mil-spec" in an items description when it is being sold, it is more referring to the size of tube and not how it's actually made or with what material. Mil-spec is no longer mil-spec in a lot of cases. To avoid this, buy from a reputable dealer or manufacturer, but you should always do it that way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?????

Or its because they are cheaper to produce since they can be extruded vs forged and the threads are cheaper because they are cut vs rolled. OMG I just realized the the com tube outer diameter is the same as the thread peaks which is why the tube has a larger OD than the milspec tube
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#27]
All I know is that it is a pain in the ass.
I have one commercial tube left with a beautiful CAR stock, it functions great, just a pain to use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All I know is that it is a pain in the ass.
I have one commercial tube left with a beautiful CAR stock, it functions great, just a pain to use.
View Quote

If you have a nice stock that fits it, why is it a pain to use?  Just curious.

I don't notices any difference between my commercial and my .mil spec stocks in actual use.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I think part of the trend toward milspec sized REs is due to companies who only make stocks to fit milspec REs (receiver extensions).

When B5 hit the market with their SOPMOD, people started seeing a very comfortable and highly cost effective offering to LMT and KAC variant SOPMOD stocks.

The fact that B5 did not create an option for commercial REs says a lot, and they believe their product would sell very well.

It has.

In recent years, I worked at a fairly large FFL and I began seeing rifles from a lot of MFGs come with B5 SOPMOD enhanced stocks, and very few with the Bravos.  Sometimes a customer would want to take their S&W Sport 2 or an Anderson carbine and put a B5 on it.  If they bought a BM or a DPMS from me, I'd tell them they had to change the buffer tube to a milspec and they'd be surprised that their new gun had a commercial tube on it.

I also think the fact that S&W was putting milspec tubes on their $600 Sport rifles said they were willing to step up a little bit.

I personally am glad the industry is moving toward using the correct diameter RE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top