Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2016 11:32:48 AM EDT
They came on my PSA that I carry at work. I'm tempted to swap them out with another rifle b/c . Why exactly did they come out with these? Was it to accommodate pistons or something?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I try to like mine. I go back and forth.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
my first AR15 came with them.  I hated them on sight, that opinion was confirmed on shooting with them on, and I swapped them out before the 2nd range trip.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the original skinny carbine HG's a lot better

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They came on my PSA that I carry at work. I'm tempted to swap them out with another rifle b/c . Why exactly did they come out with these? Was it to accommodate pistons or something?
View Quote

I believe they are fatter for double heat shields vs the single heat shields in the thinner handguards. I hate them.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/skinny-m4-carbine-handguard-sku100004515-72635-53783.aspx

I picked up one of these, good quality and much skinnier than the fat oval ones
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I believe they are fatter for double heat shields vs the single heat shields in the thinner handguards. I hate them.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/skinny-m4-carbine-handguard-sku100004515-72635-53783.aspx

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure regular "skinny" handguards  can come wirh double heatshields also.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on what I am doing, I have fatties on a couple of my guns and like them, but I also like my skinnies as well as my free floats, like, just depends on what I am doing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm curious, what do you use each for? New to the AR platform and trying to pick up as much information as i can. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep telling myself I'm gonna do an M4 build and leave it. Now have 2 M4 sets of furniture I have replaced. I just like old school quadrail setup.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm curious, what do you use each for? New to the AR platform and trying to pick up as much information as i can. Thanks.
View Quote

Some competitive, some target, hunting, night time coyote hunting so I can mount lights, I actually have a predator call I made up that I can attach to a quad rail, lights, lasers, I don't know it is always changing, I get a whim and start playing, having a machine shop makes it nice, I can play with different ideas as my brain thinks of them, normally most of them end up in the scrap pile.  But it gives me something to do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What type of department are you on that issued you that weapon?  I don't mean to name your actual department, I mean city, county, state, small town, college etc..  

As a fellow LEO, I find that more than a little interesting.  Most of the time as an instructor I find it is individual officers who buy the cheapest thing possible, departments typically don't go any lower than S&W, who is actually putting out a very good weapon, especially at department pricing.  

The real wider handguards are the M4 series, which use dual heat shields.  Many of the cheap places use cheapo import single or even no heat shield in their M4 series handguards.  Some guys like the larger handguards, others like the thin style.  It really becomes a matter of preference.
View Quote

Our Department has an approved list but no restriction on replacing parts. Mine started out as a complete RRA I replaced the upper with a PSA upper, going from a 1:9 RRA barrel to a 1:7 PSA. No complaints, it rocks, just don't like the handguards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I've come full circle.  I still love the free float modular rail on my precision rifle, and enjoyed a quad rail I once ran oj a carbine.  But, I recently built an M4 type 16" carbine with FSB, delta ring and large two piece double shielded USGI type hand guards and regular M4 adjustable stock.

I found myself surprised that it is my new favorite for home defense.  Its shorter, lighter, easier handling.  Added a sling and weapon light.  Put a small duty grade red dot on it.  Leupold DeltaPoint Pro mini reflex.

Its so much fun.  Maybe old school handguard ain't so bad after all.  It just feels natural.  I would not expect it to compete for small groups with a precision build, and it doesnt have that level or accuracy.  At home defense distances it makes sense.  Not getting rid of the precision AR, just think the KISS carbine has its place, and for HD, it shines.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I am semi full circle. Want one all simple. A2 grip/carry handle sight/stock handguards. No upgrades, just simple. Next build. (So I keep saying)
Gotta have a sling/light tho
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've come full circle.  I still love the free float modular rail on my precision rifle, and enjoyed a quad rail I once ran oj a carbine.  But, I recently built an M4 type 16" carbine with FSB, delta ring and large two piece double shielded USGI type hand guards and regular M4 adjustable stock.

I found myself surprised that it is my new favorite for home defense.  Its shorter, lighter, easier handling.  Added a sling and weapon light.  Put a small duty grade red dot on it.  Leupold DeltaPoint Pro mini reflex.

Its so much fun.  Maybe old school handguard ain't so bad after all.  It just feels natural.  I would not expect it to compete for small groups with a precision build, and it doesnt have that level or accuracy.  At home defense distances it makes sense.  Not getting rid of the precision AR, just think the KISS carbine has its place, and for HD, it shines.
View Quote

I have a PSA midwest free float SPR. It is one of my favorite rifles, I carry it for hunting season. When I first bought it, I carried it for about a year at work. Fine at first but had issues with the rail canting, loss of accuracy...think it traced back to a loose barrel nut. Also noted that the lack of heat shields on the rail meant it got warm quick. I eventually decided it wasn't something that I wanted for work and I bought the PSA upper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wow, any change at all has to be noted on a form with ours in the event it is used in a shooting.  

Stay Safe.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What type of department are you on that issued you that weapon?  I don't mean to name your actual department, I mean city, county, state, small town, college etc..  

As a fellow LEO, I find that more than a little interesting.  Most of the time as an instructor I find it is individual officers who buy the cheapest thing possible, departments typically don't go any lower than S&W, who is actually putting out a very good weapon, especially at department pricing.  

The real wider handguards are the M4 series, which use dual heat shields.  Many of the cheap places use cheapo import single or even no heat shield in their M4 series handguards.  Some guys like the larger handguards, others like the thin style.  It really becomes a matter of preference.

Our Department has an approved list but no restriction on replacing parts. Mine started out as a complete RRA I replaced the upper with a PSA upper, going from a 1:9 RRA barrel to a 1:7 PSA. No complaints, it rocks, just don't like the handguards.

Wow, any change at all has to be noted on a form with ours in the event it is used in a shooting.  

Stay Safe.  

They have an approved listed of optics (with some people grandfathered with different brands prior to the "approved" list) with any magnifier if you choose. They acknowledge that there is a murky world of AR manufacturers that produce milspec parts under numerous names, so they inspect the rifles for function during quals with a note if you use an optic and that's it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:32:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't mind the fat hand guards.  It's been a long time since I held any of the skinnies.

It's been a long time since I used the fat ones, I have a KAC RAS, I'm all HSLD now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know where you're coming from. I've run the whole gamut and recently put together a 10.5" with standard HG and all. I didn't expect to leave it that way but that was the parts I had on hand. I was surprised just how much I like it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top