Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2016 10:20:15 PM EDT
I'm looking for some help with a coating. Really will be to refinish a parkerized barrel but being able to use it on anodized aluminum would be an added bonus. I have some Duracoat air dry but not sure how durable it would be. I have a cerakote finish on a shotgun that was done by a gunsmith, it's performed well so far. I've read all of the specs for these two, not sure what else may be out there. I thought air cooling might work out better, I'm afraid of the chance of fumes in my wife's oven, like to stay out of Dutch. It that's not an issue I'm open to it. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it were one gun I'd bring it back to the professional but I plan on using the same finish on several guns and would really like to save the money. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, the best coating for a park barrel is Cerakote. H if you have the oven space. C if you don't. I've used AHII, Durakote, KG, Etc... Cerakote is WORLDS better than them. Hands down. The H is the best there is, bar none. However, if you don't have access to an oven large enough... I'd opt for the C (air cure) series. I despise park and eliminate it at all costs (it's ancient tech, and is garbage compared to todays tech. There is absolutely NO need to keep parts oiled (park) that could otherwise be coated with a barrier such as cerakote/AH, Durakote, etc. Shit... do you oil your car panels? No? Then stop oiling your exterior gun parts. Yes, it's that's stupid, this isn't WWII anymore). Park is an EXELLENT sponge for any type of coating (about the only thing that park crap is good for).
BTW, my favorite coatings are AHII (applied with "fine spray/mist nozzle) "matte black" and Cerakote C (air cure) "Glacier black".
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used Duracoat on parkerized barrels and anodized receivers with excellent results.  Mix it properly and even more importantly, prep it properly and Duracoat holds up extremely well IMO.  Prep work and following instructions are a must.  Don't do either and you will have problems.  Most wear problems I have seen on Duracoated firearms were what seemed to me were the result of a botched mix or prep job.  I've never had a wear problem with it but then again, I am not one to abuse my rifles either.  I range shoot them and hunt with them but I am not one to throw them down hills or drag them behind cars.  With normal use I have had zero problems with Duracoat.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both, I appreciate the insight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top