Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2016 9:27:12 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying a couple of stripped lowers and I've got it down to PSA or Aero Precision.  In both instances, it would be their basic base model stripped lower.

Cost wise, they are very similar - right around $100.

Does anyone have a strong opinion about one being better than the other?  I'm kinda new at this and any advice would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I have read they are pretty much about the same quality. So pick which ever you want.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Aero lowers.  They have the threaded rear take down detent hole and the upper tension screw (I have never used it but it's nice to have that option).  Not sure if the $100 price you listed is per lower or for two.  You should be able to get the Aero lowers for around $65-$75 per lower.  Aero has the blem lowers often for $63.  If you're active or ex military/ law, you get an additional 10% off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Aero makes PSA 5.56/.300/7.62x39 and .308 lowers so.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not recently... Most of their lowers now come from LW Schneider.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not recently... Most of there lowers now come from LW Schneider.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not recently... Most of there lowers now come from LW Schneider.

Not surprising the way the markets been.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm looking at buying a couple of stripped lowers and I've got it down to PSA or Aero Precision.  In both instances, it would be their basic base model stripped lower.

Cost wise, they are very similar - right around $100.

Does anyone have a strong opinion about one being better than the other?  I'm kinda new at this and any advice would be appreciated.

View Quote

In all honesty there's specs all lowers need to meet, so outside of you getting one that slipped through Quality Control (which can and does happen to anyone) either should be fine. That being said I'm an Aero Precision person.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the Aero lowers.  They have the threaded rear take down detent hole and the upper tension screw (I have never used it but it's nice to have that option).  Not sure if the $100 price you listed is per lower or for two.  You should be able to get the Aero lowers for around $65-$75 per lower.  Aero has the blem lowers often for $63.  If you're active or ex military/ law, you get an additional 10% off.
View Quote

Does anyone know anyplace that has Aero lowers in stock at $65 ~ $75 price mentioned above?

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does anyone know anyplace that has Aero lowers in stock at $65 ~ $75 price mentioned above?
View Quote

Good luck finding ANY in stock anywhere and any price.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've noticed.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#11]

"Please note: This product is currently backordered. The current backorder timeframe is 8 - 10 weeks from the date the order is placed. If you are purchasing other items and wish to have them shipped immediately, please place them on a separate order".

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer aero. The rollmark isn't obnoxious and the fit and finish is great. Around Christmas time I got a matched upper and lower set for $150 . Get on thier mailing list they offer specials every damn day. I ordered direct from them as my Ffl was already on file.

Edit: it's an election year, expect to see out of stock everywhere you go. Get on an email list and be patient
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#13]
DOA has them for $80 right now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
For what it may be worth I just picked up a new in box stripped Anderson lower for $50 plus a $10 fee for running the background check and doing the paper work, at a local gun shop.

I had heard that there might be some cosmetic issues with them but that otherwise they were good to go.  I inspected several of them in the store and found the finish to be extremely uniform and the attention to detail, absence of machine marks and such to be just as good as other lowers with which I am familiar.   I took a chance, bought it and have now just finished a simple carbine build around it.  Everything was fully in spec, it went together very simply, no hitches of any kind and it mates very tightly to two different complete uppers I have.

After that experience, I really don't see a need to pay more, especially if it is to be a basic build.  I was very pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
DOA has them for $80 right now.
View Quote

Not any more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I always get my Aero lowers from Old Dominion for $55 bucks, technically $160 for 3 plus $10 shipping. Then a local FFL who does $15 for the fist lower and $5 each after that. $195 shipped and transferred every 3 lower order. Done that a couple times already. Ends up $65 total for each. Best machining and finish on a forged lower I have seen. Plus it takes the threaded screw to hold the rear detent and has adjustable screw for wobble free upper to lower fit.

Problem I had was tolerances in the lower shelf. None would take a newest gen RRA 3.5 pound two stage trigger. The trigger would rock into the floor before the sear released. Newer lowers had more machining there. I bought so many I could see the changes they have made over multiple runs. Early and late Aero uppers and lowers don't fit seamlessly. If yoiu want perfect no lip fit you need same era Aero upper and lower.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Everybody is out of stock on Aero lowers now.
I have two complete Aero rifles, and want another lower.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Aero has them in stock for $90.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
DOA has them in stock for $79.99 and free shipping.  They ship VERY quickly too (yes, I ordered some)...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, this...Aero is about all I buy anymore.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#21]
IMO.....Aero is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#22]
If I had to pay $100 for a stripped lower, I'd buy one of PSA's complete MOE lowers for $170-$190, free shipping, plus transfer fee.  Complete lowers with PSA stocks have been cheaper, but not in stock right now.  Would be hard to save money building your own, unless your dealer charges an outrageous transfer fee.

That's me, but I can understand someone wanting another stock or to build a more customized rifle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got a Surplus Arms and Ammo (SAA) lower - they're made by Aero and stamped/branded SAA. Very nice quality. I don't think PSA makes their own stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I can see why one would prefer an Aero lower over PSA. However, it is very hard to turn down lowers like this when they only cost $140.

PSA Defender Lower
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy an artistic, aesthetic masterpiece. A matched Mega Billet set.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"Please note: This product is currently backordered. The current backorder timeframe is 8 - 10 weeks from the date the order is placed. If you are purchasing other items and wish to have them shipped immediately, please place them on a separate order".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow I just got 5 blems for $63 each a few weeks ago
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#27]
fatboy has Andersons 2 for $100
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Gen 2 Aero Precision stripped lowers in stock! $75+S&H

I used to buy PSA blem lowers, then tried some blem Andersons but will use Gen 2 APs (NIB - not blems) from this point forward. Love these lowers!

eta: limit 10
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a couple Ballistic Advantage receivers. They are the same as Aero's. Was told that Ballistic Advantage makes the receivers for Aero but the dealer could be wrong.
They are related companies so I was told.
http://ballisticadvantage.com/ar15-lower-receiver.html
Have the same nylon tipped upper tension screw. Looks to be in stock, at least when you add them to cart. $85
I like the logo better than Aero's, The A looks like a construction companies logo in Denver, prefer the double flame or double spade or what ever it is.

Per Aero site:
Aero Precision is pleased to announce a new partnership with Ballistic Advantage. As of December 5, 2014, Ballistic Advantage will operate as a majority owned subsidiary of Aero Precision.
This partnership is a key component to our future success and will allow us to provide competitive pricing on a premium selection of over 100 different barrels and firearm components! Our new sister company, Ballistic Advantage, will continue to operate from its facilities and maintain its brand while expanding alongside Aero Precision.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Aero makes the lowers for BA.  BA only makes barrels and gas blocks.

Quoted:
I have a couple Ballistic Advantage receivers. They are the same as Aero's. Was told that Ballistic Advantage makes the receivers for Aero but the dealer could be wrong.
They are related companies so I was told.
http://ballisticadvantage.com/ar15-lower-receiver.html
Have the same nylon tipped upper tension screw. Looks to be in stock, at least when you add them to cart. $85
I like the logo better than Aero's, The A looks like a construction companies logo in Denver, prefer the double flame or double spade or what ever it is.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/1d/e9/fd/1de9fdaef826c2a2a7a4bcdf986d44f4.jpg

Per Aero site:
Aero Precision is pleased to announce a new partnership with Ballistic Advantage. As of December 5, 2014, Ballistic Advantage will operate as a majority owned subsidiary of Aero Precision.
This partnership is a key component to our future success and will allow us to provide competitive pricing on a premium selection of over 100 different barrels and firearm components! Our new sister company, Ballistic Advantage, will continue to operate from its facilities and maintain its brand while expanding alongside Aero Precision.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#31]
FWIW, I just bought two Aero lowers at a LGS in Los Angeles ($174/pair).  Considering any lowers are hard to find in L.A. and will be non-existent come 2017, that's the price we pay for sunny weather, high taxes and a state that's anti-2A.

Quoted:
Gen 2 Aero Precision stripped lowers in stock! $75+S&H

I used to buy PSA blem lowers, then tried some blem Andersons but will use Gen 2 APs (NIB - not blems) from this point forward. Love these lowers!

eta: limit 10
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top