Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2016 9:33:14 PM EDT
I recently acquired a complete upper through a trade.  The barrel is on a Larue Tactical upper with a Larue 9.0 hand guard.  Its 14.5 inches with a pinned flash hider and appears to have a carbine length gas system.  I found markings on the barrel that are as follows:  CLE 1-7 11-03.  Am I correct in assuming its made by Compass Lake Barrel? If so does anyone have experience with these barrels?  Are they accurate?  Trying to decide if I should hang on to this upper or if I should sell it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That is typical of how Compass Lake Engineering stamps their barrels. 1-7 for the twist rate and 11-03 is the date.

CLE doesn't make blanks, they are a custom barrelsmith that finish machines blanks into finished barrels. Accuracy is going to depend somewhat on what blank was used but they don't generally use poor quality blanks and the machine work, crown, chambering etc is almost certain to be immaculately done.

It's been around a while so who knows how many rounds it's fired.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Many of the Mk12 clone guys use CLE for barrels and they've reported good things. Your only problem is how much the barrel has been shot beforehand.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the feedback!  Any reliable way to assess barrel wear (other than looking at accuracy)?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Borescope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top