Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2016 11:58:50 AM EDT
Any other reason besides so that weight can be added or taken out?  Surely a solid buffer could be made in any weight desired.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Similar to a deadblow hammer.  It prevents bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The weights move so that it can buffer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Google how a deadblow hammer works and you'll see. The weights need to be able to reciprocate. You could have one solid piece with room for movement but then like you said, you could not adjust the total reciprocating mass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Because the bolt carrier group comes to a very sudden stop (think "slams shut") when the bolt locks into the barrel extension, it tends to bounce backward a bit (see "bolt carrier bounce") and the bolt unlocks a bit from the barrel extension.
This is undesirable, particularly in fully automatic fire (which the original AR-15 was capable of), because the hammer (which is falling for the next shot) might strike the firing pin while the bolt carrier group is still slightly to the rear and unlocked, which would result in a light or no primer strike and no ignition.
That would suck to get a "click" when you really needed a "bang".

As the buffer body moves forward, the loose weights tend to stay at the rear of the body due to inertia.  When the buffer body stops its forward motion because the bolt has locked into the barrel extension, the weights move toward the front of the buffer body due to inertia.
Because the loose buffer weights are still moving forward while the bolt carrier group has come to its forward stop, they meet the front of the buffer body about the time the bolt carrier group is trying to bounce back.  The force of the loose weights meeting the front of the buffer body causes the buffer body to nudge the bolt carrier group forward, helping to negate bolt carrier bounce and the possibility of the hammer hitting the firing pin while the bolt is slightly unlocked.

The sliding weights are meant to address bolt carrier bounce in automatic fire (although some have suggested that it also helps semiauto rifles that are heavily gunked up as well).
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not just full auto. There is very little overtravel in the BCG on an AR15, the buffering also reduces the bounce off the back of the buffer tube which controls the forward speed  of the BCG, and allows more time for the cartridges in the magazine to rise and settle against the feed lips before the bolt comes forward to start the feed cycle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Lets throw in Spikes tactical in how it works, I understand how the weights work, but the powder is kind of got me a bit confused.  The ST-1 and 2 have powder, the T3 has a solid weight(I understand it is just 1 weight, I may take mine apart for fun since I've tried it out in my blackout and it is too heavy and don't really plan on using it for much else at this time but it seems I can just pop the pin back in and it will be together again.)  I've read positive reviews of the Spikes buffers, I've just recently set my Blackout with a ST2 that works well, but I kind of wonder if it is actually any better, worse, or comparable to a H2.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lets throw in Spikes tactical in how it works, I understand how the weights work, but the powder is kind of got me a bit confused.  The ST-1 and 2 have powder, the T3 has a solid weight(I understand it is just 1 weight, I may take mine apart for fun since I've tried it out in my blackout and it is too heavy and don't really plan on using it for much else at this time but it seems I can just pop the pin back in and it will be together again.)  I've read positive reviews of the Spikes buffers, I've just recently set my Blackout with a ST2 that works well, but I kind of wonder if it is actually any better, worse, or comparable to a H2.
View Quote

Same concept, cooler marketing. Some dead blow hammers use powder, some use weights. Some battering rams have lead or steel shot in them, some don't.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Pellets function as a single mass, they don't have the staged effect of the multiple weights and rubber washers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]
In my 16" mid the H2 is comparable to the ST-T2 in felt recoil and ejection pattern. Not night and day or anything.  I think the Spikes is actually lighter than an H2.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pellets function as a single mass, they don't have the staged effect of the multiple weights and rubber washers.
View Quote

How do the Spike ST buffers work then?  The powder would act as the same single mass (I have not taken a Spikes buffer apart, have no idea if its just powder so maybe I'm wrong).  I doubt its the multiple staged weights that make the buffer work.  Its the fact that it has internal moving/ buffering parts.  As long as you left room in the buffer for the pellets to move back and forth, the pellets should work the same.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Inertia.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do the Spike ST buffers work then?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They work well at taking people's money.

Otherwise they're like a single sliding weight instead of 3 (or more) stages in regular buffers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Otherwise they're like a single sliding weight instead of 3 (or more) stages in regular buffers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the reason that there were separate weights in buffers is so that they can be tuned with tungsten pellets?

An H buffer being 1 tungsten pellet.

H2 being two tungsten pellets.

H3 being 3 tungsten pellets.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top