Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2016 9:12:36 PM EDT
Through Marks astoundingly generous barrel give away, I have the joy to build a rifle around a 20" Stealth barrel.
Unfortunately, I do not have unlimited funds so I am trying to make every dollar work to its fullest potential in this build, which brings me to the current dilemma of gas block choices.

This rifle will never be suppressed, so do I need adjustable gas?

If no adjustable gas is needed, what blocks besides the Larue will line up with at least the first and the last dimples?

I have read some people have used the Odin Works blocks but I am unsure if that was the adjustable block or the non adjustable that is half the price of the Larue.

I am open to suggestions with the goal of a quality built upper with enough left in the budget for a sweet trigger like the MBT.

will be running a 15" handguard if that makes any difference to the blocks you would recommend.  

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
SLR makes one that lines up the two outer dimples, .450 spacing.  I went with the SLR myself.  They are a little pricey with shipping unless you can get in on one of the sales.

The three below will all line up with the two outer dimples.  Larue uses .450 spacing between the two outer dimples.

SLR Micro Non Adjustable .625 & .750 = .450
Quentin Defense lo pro .750 & .625 = .450
Odin works lo pro .750 = .450
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SLR makes one that lines up the two outer dimples, .450 spacing.  I went with the SLR myself.  They are a little pricey with shipping unless you can get in on one of the sales.

The three below will all line up with the two outer dimples.  Larue uses .450 spacing between the two outer dimples.

View Quote

of the non adjustable, is there one that you would recommend over the others?

edit, I read your post with the assumption that you went with the SLR adjustable
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You could just order the gas block off of Larues site also.

http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-low-profile-gas-block-lt-202

ETA: Sorry, missed the part in the OP where you were looking at other options as well
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Through Marks astoundingly generous barrel give away, I have the joy to build a rifle around a 20" Stealth barrel.

Unfortunately, I do not have unlimited funds so I am trying to make every dollar work to its fullest potential in this build, which brings me to the current dilemma of gas block choices.

This rifle will never be suppressed, so do I need adjustable gas?

If no adjustable gas is needed, what blocks besides the Larue will line up with at least the first and the last dimples?

I have read some people have used the Odin Works blocks but I am unsure if that was the adjustable block or the non adjustable that is half the price of the Larue.

I am open to suggestions with the goal of a quality built upper with enough left in the budget for a sweet trigger like the MBT.

will be running a 15" handguard if that makes any difference to the blocks you would recommend.  

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.
View Quote
I like Geissele Super Gas Blocks, followed cloesly by BCM's gas blocks.

Both are affordable, yet high-quality.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

edit, I read your post with the assumption that you went with the SLR adjustable
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went with the non adjustable SLR on both my 20in Stealth and 16in PredatAR barrels.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought an Odin gas block for my Stealth barrel. It slipped on the barrel wayyy too easy. I could spin that gas block around without much effort. I went with the SLR gas block, and it was a perfect fit. Others may have different experiences with the Odin block on a LaRue barrel. As for me, I won't be making that mistake again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I know they are pricey vs. other options, but that LaRue barrel should get a LaRue gas block.

It's the nicest gas block I've ever used and you already know it will fit perfectly.

I've used several others.  They work fine too.  But the LaRue is simply "better".  That's my completely subjective opinion.  They are machined beautifully and fit and seal perfectly.  The 3 setscrew mounting makes it rock solid.  And since the barrel is a LaRue, the block takes all of about 1min to have installed and lined up perfectly.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know they are pricey vs. other options, but that LaRue barrel should get a LaRue gas block.

It's the nicest gas block I've ever used and you already know it will fit perfectly.

I've used several others.  They work fine too.  But the LaRue is simply "better".  That's my completely subjective opinion.  They are machined beautifully and fit and seal perfectly.  The 3 setscrew mounting makes it rock solid.  And since the barrel is a LaRue, the block takes all of about 1min to have installed and lined up perfectly.

View Quote

I was torn between LT and "other"
I know LT will fit perfect, but if a SLR or something else fits perfect, and costs $30 less, that puts an MBT in the rifle that much sooner.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I would use the LaRue since the barrel is already dimpled for that gas block.  They are made for each other
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Go Larue. I know it's mostly a sales technique, but LT say something to the effect that the barrels are designed to be used with their gas block, and cannot guarantee function/accuracy with other brands. either way, I try to match components whenever possible.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone tried a Faxon 3 screw loghtweight gas block?

With my first LaRue barrel I went with the LaRue block but cut off the collar.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Faxon confirmed that only one of the three holes in their GB will line up (one opposite of gas port).
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Id go SLR, I went adjustable but their non adjustables are nice and economical.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Faxon confirmed that only one of the three holes in their GB will line up (one opposite of gas port).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One set screw has been plenty sufficient for my uses.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Id go SLR, I went adjustable but their non adjustables are nice and economical.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I ended up ordering Larue, figured he gave me a barrel, least I could do is buy small parts from him.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I ended up ordering Larue, figured he gave me a barrel, least I could do is buy small parts from him.
View Quote

Best option right here. No other will match up and align to Larue's spec
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top