Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 11:28:12 PM EDT
I have a JP brake.  It is loud.  I was thinking about having a blast shield machined for it.  My thought was a two inch diameter tube with small holes drilled in it.

The question I have is will the shield negate the brake's effect on muzzle rise and recoil.  I would appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a JP brake.  It is loud.  I was thinking about having a blast shield machined for it.  My thought was a two inch diameter tube with small holes drilled in it.

The question I have is will the shield negate the brake's effect on muzzle rise and recoil.  I would appreciate your input.
View Quote

I would imagine so. Wish I had proof/further information but my (very lacking) knowledge of physics would incline me to believe so.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would imagine so. Wish I had proof/further information but my (very lacking) knowledge of physics would incline me to believe so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My college physics classes were a long time ago, so I no confidence in my analysis.  My initial thought would be that the brake would offset recoil and rise as normal.  Then as the gas hits the shield it would be cooler and have an increase in volume.  The shield would allow part of the gas to go through the holes, and would direct some of the gas forward.  

The gas that passes through the holes should not have an effect, since they are equal on each side.  The gas going forward will cause the rifle to move back.  My thinking is that since the gas has expanded, the force to the rear would be negligible.  

Another potential issue would be the gas moving forward would have effect the bullet leaving the barrel.  My guess is that the bullet would be down range, before the gas would get to the front of the barrel.  However, I have no scientific basis for this belief.

Maybe the answer is, don't worry about it.  5.56 doesn't recoil enough to matter.  lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I am having one made.  I will report back on my impressions.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:47:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry that you didn't get a ton of feedback. I'm not sure anyone really has a solid answer to give you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#5]
There are quite a few blast shields on the market...why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are quite a few blast shields on the market...why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
View Quote

First, they are expensive.  Two they require a specific brake.  I want to stick with what I have.  I can also have it made for a bottle of wine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

First, they are expensive.  Two they require a specific brake.  I want to stick with what I have.  I can also have it made for a bottle of wine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Griffin QD blast shield and vg6 cage can be used on a2 and brakes/comps/hiders that use the same profile used at the "two notched" part of the device.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
If cost is your limiting factor, use an old mag light  Cut the barrel of the light to whatever length, drill hole in back end cap and install it like an oversized washer behind the flash hider (can even reinstall crush washer over it).  Then you can screw on and off a shroud over the brake whenever you want.  As long as you don't close off the front end that reduces sound, you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If cost is your limiting factor, use an old mag light  Cut the barrel of the light to whatever length, drill hole in back end cap and install it like an oversized washer behind the flash hider (can even reinstall crush washer over it).  Then you can screw on and off a shroud over the brake whenever you want.  As long as you don't close off the front end that reduces sound, you'll be fine.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/vrplzc.jpg
View Quote

I don't get how that would stay on
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The mag light end cap is held in place by the flash hider.  Like a giant washer with threads at the rim.  Then the mag light body is slipped over everything and threaded on to the end cap.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes blast shields ruin the brake/comp effectiveness. The amount it is ruined is directly proportional to the effectiveness of the blast shield. That is why a silencer gets increased recoil vs the bare muzzle brake attachment. Also a silencer over a very effective flash hider  gives increased flash over the flash hider alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top