Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2016 10:34:28 PM EDT
Building my lightweight rifle. Was looking at these from brownellss. Was wondering if they are good and weight.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
For that price, I'd be looking at something different.  As for weight, that latch looks pretty big.  I'd imagine it weighs near as much if not more than a standard GI CH.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/charging-handles/ar-15-m16-para-trooper-charging-handle-prod41942.aspx
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks more like a gimmick than anything. Paratroopers (US .mil anyway) use the standard GI type on their weapons. The weapon goes in a case that gets dropped on a line 15 feet below, so unless you are an idiot and don't drop your gear (unless you do a tree landing) you should not be landing on your equipment.

My concern is how good are those pins that hold the latch to the main body of the CH?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Total gimmick
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Total gimmick
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok thanks for the info guys. Will.stick with a standard handle then.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok thanks for the info guys. Will.stick with a standard handle then.
View Quote

Good idea.

Because that is the
Real ParaTrooper charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks more like a gimmick than anything. Paratroopers (US .mil anyway) use the standard GI type on their weapons. The weapon goes in a case that gets dropped on a line 15 feet below, so unless you are an idiot and don't drop your gear (unless you do a tree landing) you should not be landing on your equipment.

My concern is how good are those pins that hold the latch to the main body of the CH?
View Quote

I rocked this on my M4 for every trip as a Paratrooper :
www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/latches/ar-15-m16-tactical-latch-prod1387.aspx

any time someone lists something meant to streamline a gun in conjunction with Airborne Operations is completely and utterly full of shit since Paratroopers always and only jump with their rifles ready to rock, stowed in one of these

and is secured to the Paratrooper's side thusly:

The ones the 82nd uses are modified to be able to accept anything from an M4 to a M240B, and there is a procedure to get weapons into action immediately upon hitting the ground. There is literally zero reason whatsoever a Paratrooper would put some bullshit like that on his rifle. It is more important that the rifle function efficiently and easily when on the ground.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I have found those extended replacement latches to dig into my chest when carrying the rifle and my back when in a two point sling.  I dont wear armor.

For me, it is either the standard M4 charge handle or the Raptor, which gives extra extended grip without discomfort.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/latches/ar-15-m16-tactical-latch-prod1387.aspx

any time someone lists something meant to streamline a gun in conjunction with Airborne Operations is completely and utterly full of shit since Paratroopers always and only jump with their rifles ready to rock, stowed in one of these
http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/v/vspfiles/photos/1345-4.jpg

http://www.aiirsource.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/airborne-operations-night-jump-8-1280x768.jpg

The ones the 82nd uses are modified to be able to accept anything from an M4 to a M240B, and there is a procedure to get weapons into action immediately upon hitting the ground. There is literally zero reason whatsoever a Paratrooper would put some bullshit like that on his rifle. It is more important that the rifle function efficiently and easily when on the ground.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.aiirsource.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/airborne-operations-night-jump-8-1280x768.jpg

Not sure if you're directing that at me, but yes I know how the whole thing goes. I jump myself.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not sure if you're directing that at me, but yes I know how the whole thing goes. I jump myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the first sentence. My experience has been that as long as you keep your GI charging handle (and put it back when you turn your gun back in), you can get away with swapping the entire thing out.

The rest was for General knowledge and wasn't intended to incite anything.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just the first sentence. My experience has been that as long as you keep your GI charging handle (and put it back when you turn your gun back in), you can get away with swapping the entire thing out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah gotcha. I'd prefer if they'd let me set it up my way. I'd change out the pistol grip (BCM Mod3) and receiver end plate (QD mount) to like I have on my personal rifle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#12]
No idea about current use but awhile back, pre 911, open weapons jumps were not uncommon in USASOC. Not saying it ever required a special CH but, iirc, it was one of the reasons for the A2 bbl profile..to reduce the number of bent bbls when jumping w/exposed weapons that occured with the A1 profile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top