Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 11:58:45 AM EDT
Guys I am looking for a free float handguard that's uses the factory barrel nut covers a mid length gas block and is light weight. Who should I look at?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Sampson makes some. I have a take off one from a ruger RPR I would get rid of for cheap.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Full Pic, Keymod, or M-Lok.

The Centurion C4 rails are nice and lock up on the factory barrel nut. Daniel defense also makes the Omega rail which is pretty light
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Key mod or more lock. Thin and sleek.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy. Take your pic, quad rail, alpha rail, vtac alpha rail, mlok.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Guys I am looking for a free float handguard that's uses the factory barrel nut covers a mid length gas block and is light weight. Who should I look at?
View Quote

Fortis REV, Troy Alpha or Vtac or the MRF quad rails, I believe daniel defense makes a few FF quad rails that mount to the standard nut.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys didn't realize that so many were compatible.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Troy Alpha
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I know you said Keymod but nothing beats the DD Omega for a FF rail on standard barrel nut. Super light and looks good to boot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#11]
There are quite a few that are free float and use standard nut.  But there are more secure methods that use a proprietary barrel nut and don't require clocking or indexing for the gas tube.  I'm curious as to the reason for requiring use of the standard barrel nut.  Why?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are quite a few that are free float and use standard nut.  But there are more secure methods that use a proprietary barrel nut and don't require clocking or indexing for the gas tube.  I'm curious as to the reason for requiring use of the standard barrel nut.  Why?
View Quote

I would avoid any factory barrel nut design if building from scratch.  I can understand the appeal if you are going to replace a set of standard handguards on an existing rifle though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Fortis REV looks awesome, is very light weight, and very popular in builds here.  If you look in the pic sections you'll probably find tons of builds using it.  Rainier Evolution is very nice.  I installed one of those on my wife's and it was a breeze to install, looks great, is light, and it feels really good in the hand.  As was previously mentioned, if you are looking for a Quad-Rail the DD Omega is nice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Just replacing factory handguard.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The greatest concern I have using the standard barrel nut is the strength of the mounting system.  I have the Vtac Troy handguard to retrofit a BCM upper, but I'm not confident in the ruggedness of the attachment.
View Quote

That's my concern too.  The factory barrel nut was never intended to support the full weight and lever/fulcrum effect of a free float rail.  The efforts to use it to attach a rail are just a compromise at best.  Most aftermarket rails with proprietary barrel nuts come with the associated wrench at no extra cost and provide a stronger beefier multi point attachment and do not force you to clock it to pass the gas tube through.

I went with a Daniel Defense modular rail with proprietary nut for the added strength.  Install was very easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top