Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 11:03:30 AM EDT
Hi guys,
im looking to buy my first AR. Been training with my brothers for a few years now, and time to take the plunge. ~$1500 budget or so

Ive been looking into:
-Daniel Defense
-LWRC
-Stag

Any reviews on these rifles? Positives, negatives?

I also considered building one. Is it better to build or buy
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Building is fun and a great way to learn about the inner works of the AR15 that could help you troubleshoot a problem.  If you are wanting non-standard parts it will be cheaper in the long run to build rather then buy a complete rifle and swap everything out anyway.

You can drop Anderson from the rifles listed below because they are not in the same league as the others listed.

Most quality rifle manufacturers will have zero functional issues or at least excellent customer service.  I usually like to suggest LMT or DD for complete rifles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi guys,
im looking to buy my first AR. Been training with my brothers for a few years now, and time to take the plunge. ~$1500 budget or so

Ive been looking into:
-Daniel Defense
-LWRC
-Stag
-Rainier
-Anderson
-CMMG

Any reviews on these rifles? Positives, negatives?

I also considered building one. Is it better to build or buy
View Quote

DD and Stag are great, Anderson will do just fine for a first AR as well.  Truthfully, most ARs will do just fine; you don't need to drop anywhere near $1500 to have a quality rifle.  

Normally I advise new buyers to get a cheap $500 entry rifle, play with it, and then build/buy a better model once you get a feel for your preferences in accessories, stocks, rails, optics, etc.  Since you said you've gotten good range time with your brothers rifle, I'll assume you know what you like/want and have a solid understanding of the platform.  Because of this, I'd recommend building your own.  Building isnt "better" per say, nor is it necessarily cheaper, but it does give you 100% control over what parts you use and how you apply your money.  You can get a really awesome rifle if you know which parts to buy cheap and which ones to pay out for (Ie:  a $15 charging handle works just as well as a $100 one).  If building is too daunting or you don't want to buy all the tools (it'll be about $100ish), check out Palmetto State Armory and pick out pre-built uppers and lowers.  There's enough variety that you can certainly find the right pieces to make the right gun for you.  Unless you're really picky about quality, I'd drop your budget down to around $800ish and use the rest of the cash on optics, accessories, and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#3]
ThePitt, Anderson is off the list. thanks buddy

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

DD and Stag are great, ...you don't need to drop anywhere near $1500 to have a quality rifle.  

Since you said you've gotten good range time with your brothers rifle, I'll assume you know what you like/want and have a solid understanding of the platform.  Because of this, I'd recommend building your own....100% control over what parts you use and how you apply your money....  Unless you're really picky about quality, I'd drop your budget down to around $800ish and use the rest of the cash on optics, accessories, and ammo.
View Quote

I have this blessing, or curse some might say, where when i buy things, i like to get something quality that will last rather than something cheap to start. you made some great points there and building ARs is one area where my knowledge lacks. Luckily my brother, and the men in his group build rifles regularly, so this may be a great option for me with their help.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not Colt?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why not Colt?
View Quote

just not into them, i do like Rugers though. but ive heard they are heavier than other manufacturers. i this true?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
always purchase your first AR.

if you want to build one then do it after shooting your 1st one for several months (years)..

IMO
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

just not into them, i do like Rugers though. but ive heard they are heavier than other manufacturers. i this true?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not Colt?

Out of all of those manufactures you listed, Colt has been doing it the longest. For the longest time, the LE6920 was the rifle to beat when making a M4 clone.

I hear Ruger is having issues with their handguard retaining ring melting to the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
always purchase your first AR.

if you want to build one then do it after shooting your 1st one for several months (years)..

IMO
View Quote

OP said that he's been shooting his brothers' for over a year and knows what he's looking for.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]

OP said that he's been shooting his brothers' for over a year and knows what he's looking for.
View Quote

true my friend. I do have a number of rifles in mind to buy...i guess my dilemma is, ive always shot custom guns, so i wasnt sure if buying was a good option or not. The manufacturers im interested in have been proven and are reliable, and Sure its faster to get on the range if i buy, but i dont think ill get the quality i could achieve with a build. Would you agree?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]
My younger brother was in basically the same boat as you, he decided he wanted his own when he turned 18 and we went to the LGS and left with a DD, It is an excellent gun. I think DD, BCM, and Spikes Tactical make the best for the money and I own BCM and Spikes and I am VERY impressed with his DD. If you have the money and want a great AR I would not hesitate for a second to recommend the DD. Another suggestion too is after you buy the DD purchase a stripped lower and LPK from somewhere less expensive and build a lower just to get to know the platform.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

true my friend. I do have a number of rifles in mind to buy...i guess my dilemma is, ive always shot custom guns, so i wasnt sure if buying was a good option or not. The manufacturers im interested in have been proven and are reliable, and Sure its faster to get on the range if i buy, but i dont think ill get the quality i could achieve with a build. Would you agree?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

With your budget, I totally think that you could buy as good of quality as if you built.  However, building will give you a lot of insight into the weapons' function and give you more freedom on parts selection.  Since you mentioned that you know people with the needed tools, I think you'd be better off financially, with the same quality, and get something that really fits what you want if you build.  Just IMO
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#12]
great info so far guys. hopefully the evening crowd can add to it!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#13]
BCM, Colt, LMT, or Daniel Defense. For the money the Colt LE6920 is hard to beat right now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#14]
narrowing the list down. keep the info coming!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#15]
FWIW - my first was a Colt 6920. Great rifle, still have it.

Of the ones you listed, I only have experience with DD. Mine is the M4V5LW - it is now my favorite and would highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
You can add rock river to the list as far as I'm concerned.
My first was a rock river and it's still my favorite...like your favorite
Pair of jeans.  Totally reliable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Daniel Defense is an excellent first rifle choice
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I have two DD so of course in gonna say go with them. Another route I'd would consider is a BCM on a PSA lower. It would put you just under a 1000 and the other 500 can go towards optic/ammo. If I were to recommend a new rifle to someone on a budget that's the route I'd go
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top