Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2016 10:35:10 AM EDT
I've been collecting the parts to build a precision build, and I'm considering going with an upper without a forward assist.  Since it's a precision build, it's diet will be composed of match grade ammo and reloads that have been checked with a chamber gauge.  If it doesn't fit, I ain't shooting it.

Anyone see any reasons I should stick to having  an f/a?  Anyone suggest an f/a lower?

Any choices for a receiver without an f/a?

While I have been considering going billet, I don't mind going forged to save money for other features.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been very happy with my Anderson receivers for 18" rifles, but you may want something a bit beefier if you put a heavier barrel on the gun.

The CMT UPUR receivers can come without a F/A, and some do have a shell deflector and some do not.

Aero Precision also makes some forged uppers with M4 ramps that incorporate dust cover provisions, shell deflectors, and won't need a F/A installed.

In a situation where a round does not chamber, you still have a functional forward assist in the bolt carrier group that can be depressed if something goes awry.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been collecting the parts to build a precision build, and I'm considering going with an upper without a forward assist.  Since it's a precision build, it's diet will be composed of match grade ammo and reloads that have been checked with a chamber gauge.  If it doesn't fit, I ain't shooting it.

Anyone see any reasons I should stick to having  an f/a?  Anyone suggest an f/a lower?

Any choices for a receiver without an f/a?

While I have been considering going billet, I don't mind going forged to save money for other features.
View Quote

Can't beat a VLTOR upper. With or without forward assist, have it your way.

Rainier also has a couple without f/a. Bootleg Inc. has a new one out too. Just got mine from AIM Surplus last week.

Check them out. All of the above are of high quality.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
My VLTOR MUR is the nicest of the few (Colt, BCM, LWRC, DD, Anderson) that I have tried.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Aero Precision also makes some forged uppers with M4 ramps that incorporate dust cover provisions, shell deflectors, and won't need a F/A installed.
View Quote

The Aero non-f/a upper is what got me thinking about going non-f/a.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Better to have and not need, then to need and not have. IMHO
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used the FA several times doing a "stealthy" load. Ease the bolt carrier forward, then FA in place.  

I wouldn't be caught without one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
So, this is a precision build. What type of barrel and what barrel length do you plan to use?

If medium or heavy, you will want a stiff upper receiver that will help support the weight the best possible, right?

VLTOR MUR is what you seek. Widely available and with / without the f/a.

The Noveske VLTOR MUR has a little more added "beef" at the end of the receiver before the threads are cut for the barrel nut. But be careful, not all handgaurds will fit because of the added dimension in that area. These are now difficult to find.

The Noveske Gen 3 upper is available, but it is more expensive and now a billet type.

You can't go wrong with any of these. I hope you do some research on these upper receivers so you can get an idea of what the difference is, and what sets them apart from "standard" type upper receivers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
One more thing, you do not need a forward assist on a precision build. But, that is my opinion.

Hope you take the time to do some research and enjoy the your final decision!

Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, this is a precision build. What type of barrel and what barrel length do you plan to use?

If medium or heavy, you will want a stiff upper receiver that will help support the weight the best possible, right?

VLTOR MUR is what you seek. Widely available and with / without the f/a.

The Noveske VLTOR MUR has a little more added "beef" at the end of the receiver before the threads are cut for the barrel nut. But be careful, not all handgaurds will fit because of the added dimension in that area. These are now difficult to find.

The Noveske Gen 3 upper is available, but it is more expensive and now a billet type.

You can't go wrong with any of these. I hope you do some research on these upper receivers so you can get an idea of what the difference is, and what sets them apart from "standard" type upper receivers.
View Quote

I bought an 18" LaRue Stealth for this build.  I am also have a BCI Defense 15" Rail.

Regarding the VLTOR MUR, does it fit in a standard clamshell upper receiver block, or will I have to use an action rod or barrel vise blocks?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I never tried to install a barrel with a clamshell in a MUR variant.  My guess is it wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
F/A for hunting, so you can ease the bolt forward, then click it into lockup.

Other wise, no reason for it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Moving forward, the VLTOR upper will not work with a clam shell block as others have said.

I do not know if your BCI rail will fit the VLTOR MUR upper either. Do you have a pic that you can post or a link to the manufacture? Most rails will fit the VLTOR upper that follow the mil-spec dimensions, but it may not fit the Noveske VLTOR MUR versions.

One more thing, the VLTOR is modular, if you buy the non f/a and then decide that you want f/a later, you can change it out, or have VLTOR change it out.

Forward Controls forward assist is a simple, brilliant design, I really like it for a fighting rifle.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Love me some Aero upper with no forward assist, but with dust cover.

It's fucking terrible that they cost more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I do not know if your BCI rail will fit the VLTOR MUR upper either. Do you have a pic that you can post or a link to the manufacture?
View Quote

LINK

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LINK

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I do not know if your BCI rail will fit the VLTOR MUR upper either. Do you have a pic that you can post or a link to the manufacture?

LINK

Going by the pic in the link above, it will fit all known upper receivers.

No anti-rotation/index tabs to interfere with the upper receiver to rail fitment. Looks good to go.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Better to have and not need, then to need and not have. IMHO
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Love me some Aero upper with no forward assist, but with dust cover.

It's fucking terrible that they cost more.
View Quote

Exactly this, besides you can finger push the bolt closed through the ejection port.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#22]
While the rifle has become so efficient it does not need a FA.
it just looks naked without one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top