Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 6:48:36 PM EDT
I have a 16 inch rifle and an 11.5 pistol that I'm looking to switch up the rails on. I'm debating on getting an 11" rail or 9.5" rail for the 11.5 pistol as well as a 15" rail for the 16 inch rifle. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Faxon 11.5 with a Kinetic DG rail. The rail is 11.6" total and has an awesome profile.. it covers the barrel threads about 1/2". Once you get a muzzle devices on there it looks nice, since it peeks out the end of the rail... if you plan on using a silencer or blast diverter then it won't fit under the rail.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm keeping the same old A2 flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm keeping the same old A2 flash hider.
View Quote

That'll would be a bit too shallow for that particular rail.... 11" rail would be perfect for the A2.

I think the SLR rails would be more comfortable in the hand. You can't go wrong with both really. Solid designs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm nearly finished with my pistol. It's an 11.5" DD barrel with a 9.5" Mk4. The pic cuts off near the muzzle's thread protector, and it doesn't have a flash hider yet, but it should give you an idea.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Any chance I could get a few more pictures of that? Maybe with a standard a2 on the end? I have been searching for that for two weeks with no success
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I plan to put an A2 on it, but I probably won't get around to it for a while.

Eh, if you're willing to wait until the weekend, I might mock one from another rifle onto it for pics.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The only problem with that is that I need to decide before tomorrow night 9:00PM Pacific standard time. If I'm going to get in on the Geissele sale, I have to pretty much order it at 9:01PM. No worries though, don't feel obligated. I'm going to spend a lot of time tonight trying to figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:32:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I just picked up a SLR Solo and I'm totally impressed by it. Love the fact that the supplied barrel nut can be installed with a standard wrench and not need some wonkey adapter, it doesn't need to be lined up to let the gas tube go thru and it looks damn cool to boot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I decided on getting the Slr Solo Series of hand guards, one 11" and one 15.5" but they are sold out as of now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Go with the G
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I decided on getting the Slr Solo Series of hand guards, one 11" and one 15.5" but they are sold out as of now.
View Quote

I was going to mock up a build for you and then realized I only have extra 13in Geissel rails, no 15in rails.  I like the Geissele rails much better than the SLR Solo rails.  The fit and finish on the Geiselle rails is outstanding and their mounting system is very solid.  I don't like the clamp design myself.  I have only used one SLR rail and I prefer the Geissele rails.  SLR does well with all the different sizes they offer.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You won't regret it. FYI, the Larue Stealth barrel is a hybrid bull barrel and I can't use the rear QD attachments on my pistol build because there's not enough room.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
My concern with the Geiselle rail is that it's gonna have a feel similar to a large diameter hand guard. The Slr seems thinner. Anyone with the Geissele rail notice that they are large?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My concern with the Geiselle rail is that it's gonna have a feel similar to a large diameter hand guard. The Slr seems thinner. Anyone with the Geissele rail notice that they are large?
View Quote

Not even close. Geissele rails don't feel like a large diameter rail at all
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're not large at all.  I have three Geisseles and an SLR and they fit my hand the same.  Go with the Geissele rail, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was concerned with the Geissele rails being large as well and went in blind.  I was very pleased once they arrived.  The Geissele and SLR rails are very similar in size.  You would not be able to tell unless you measured them in my opinion.

If you are concerned about the size of the rail, get a ALG rail.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Theres only ever 1 rail and its  the Geiselle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm leaning towards the Slr rails because I can get the length that I want (flash hider just poking out of the end). Is there any reason to go specifically with the mk4 as opposed to the Slr?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards the Slr rails because I can get the length that I want (flash hider just poking out of the end). Is there any reason to go specifically with the mk4 as opposed to the Slr?
View Quote

IMO, the attachment/lockup system is 100 times better on the G rail, it's simply bombproof.  I've never been a fan of the "clamp-on" style rails.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I feel particularly qualified here as I have a 16in rifle with an MK8 and an 11.5in pistol with an SLR ion light. The ion is 10.7in and the fit is perfect. The SLR is more comfortable in the hand, the G rail is stronger. The SLR is a lot slimmer in the hand and the G rail does feel bigger comparatively, but it still fits the hand nicely.

Ask away if you've got any particular q's. You can't go wrong with either company. They're both manned by fantastic people that make awesome gear.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a Mk4 for a bit, I felt it was a little chunky for a streamlined handguard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ask away if you've got any particular q's. You can't go wrong with either company. They're both manned by fantastic people that make awesome gear.
View Quote

Yep. I think that at the end of the day, both are good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Geissele is the Mercedes of rails...material,workmanship and engineering...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I like the look and sizing of the Slr rails on the barrels I'll be putting them on. The only thing that is holding me back at this point is everyone saying to get Geiselle rail. The only thing that irks me about the Slr rails are the anti-rotation things that hold onto the gas tube. Any thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've never been a fan of the "clamp-on" style rails.
View Quote

SLR isn't using a clamp on anymore.  They've switched to a wedge type lockup.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the lockup style of it sufficient in your guy's eyes?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, thanks for the info (although I'm not entirely sure how their new lockup system works).  

I still vote G rail.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I like the look and sizing of the Slr rails on the barrels I'll be putting them on. The only thing that is holding me back at this point is everyone saying to get Geiselle rail. The only thing that irks me about the Slr rails are the anti-rotation things that hold onto the gas tube. Any thoughts on that?
View Quote

The rail is solid. The pinch type clamp system with the gas tube spacer will keep it straight.  SLR uses a solid design with being overbuilt.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Will the anti rotation insert mess at all with the free floating aspect of the guard?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Will the anti rotation insert mess at all with the free floating aspect of the guard?
View Quote

No ultimately it's secured to the barrel nut; keeping the barrel free to float as intended.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I have seen some installs that even bother with the antirotation insert. If the barrel nut is properly torqued I don't see it as a problem. This is just a mock up but so far I am thrilled with my SLR Ion Lite.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still a clamp style, correct?  It just uses a wedge to create force or am I not understanding the install video?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#34]
The newest SLR rails use a wedge locking system rather than the clamping system they used to use. I can't speak to the differences from an engineering standpoint. However, with only one wedge set installed with only a few inch pounds of pressure, it was difficult to move the rail at all. With both wedge sets installed and torqued to the 35 in/lb spec, they are not going anywhere. It is solid!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#35]
You honestly can't go wrong with either choice.

Both make an outstanding product, both provide excellent CS.

IMO, pick the one that has the look/features you want.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a 13" Mk4 on a 16" barrel and it is great.  Light and comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top