Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out why "quad" rails are now bad and these are now "good".
View Quote

Very few people shoot guns enough to wear them out or break them. If you want to sell more product, you have to come up with the new "must have" product. Not only do most people not shoot their guns enough to break them, most don't even shoot them enough to ever really figure out what setup is really optimal for their individual tastes and needs, so they listen to the advice of experts (many of whom will happily endorse the latest thing for a paycheck).

Since using a rifle equipped with a quad rail is now apparently akin to trying to hold onto a lead filled cactus, and is best left to the masochistic, I also think the logical alternative is sections of bolt-on rail attached to a smooth tube. You have a stronger attachment method than either M Lok or Keymod, and you don't needlessly deviate from an industry standard which had been a real point of progress in the black rifle world, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Its a joke, they were playing around with new ways to cut the ports and lightening cuts, they arent actually usable since the barrel sits too close to the cut outs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Played this game reciently myself and went with the MLOK and that was for mostly looks. The KeyMod looks terrible to me, too much like shelving hardware.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Its a joke, they were playing around with new ways to cut the ports and lightening cuts, they arent actually usable since the barrel sits too close to the cut outs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I knew that. It was the fact that they went to this extreme to do it so their operator pistol would match their operator rifle is seriously dumb, hence my reactions.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Very few people shoot guns enough to wear them out or break them. If you want to sell more product, you have to come up with the new "must have" product. Not only do most people not shoot their guns enough to break them, most don't even shoot them enough to ever really figure out what setup is really optimal for their individual tastes and needs, so they listen to the advice of experts (many of whom will happily endorse the latest thing for a paycheck).

Since using a rifle equipped with a quad rail is now apparently akin to trying to hold onto a lead filled cactus, and is best left to the masochistic, I also think the logical alternative is sections of bolt-on rail attached to a smooth tube. You have a stronger attachment method than either M Lok or Keymod, and you don't needlessly deviate from an industry standard which had been a real point of progress in the black rifle world, in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out why "quad" rails are now bad and these are now "good".

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
shooters who can't figure out what their personal preference will be
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I knew that. It was the fact that they went to this extreme to do it so their operator pistol would match their operator rifle is seriously dumb, hence my reactions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard it was so they could sell the male/male keymod adaptor so you can mount your pistol on the extra rail space on your rifle.  It saves time over holstering.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Have both, use both, both work. If I were absolutely forced to make a decision, it would probably be keymod:

- They seem to have a lower profile underneath the rail to not interfere with gas block.
- I have had a barricade stop mounted via keymod on two rifles and have leaned into those stops with my body weight on many occasions without them coming loose.
- Accessories seem easier to attach. It takes me forever to get the Mlok accessories in right
- My SLR keymod rail allow each rail keymod hole to be used as a QD sling mount
- I like looking at dicks

But one Mlok accessory may cause me to change my mind is the Kinetic QD Mlock rail. The ability to quickly move a rail section (and whatever is attached to the rail) from one place to another is huge. I could move my barricade stop from bottom to left to right very quickly depending on the scenario (stage) requirements.

I've ordered the rail section but have not gotten it in to test it. If it works as advertised, then I will probably switch my preference to Mlok.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I heard it was so they could sell the male/male keymod adaptor so you can mount your pistol on the extra rail space on your rifle.  It saves time over holstering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I laughed
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I chose m-lok because I moved from MOE grips and already had m-lok.  Key mod bothers me from an appearance stand point because of the penis shape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I chose m-lok because I moved from MOE grips and already had m-lok.  Key mod bothers me from an appearance stand point because of the penis shape.

Every time I see this mentioned, I can't help but to think the person is just immature. Look at your keys, more than likely they look like a penis too, do you not like using keys for the same reason?

Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with mlok.  I think it has greater staying power than keymod due to Magpul's backing.  Yep, I know KAC, BCM, and Noveske are keymod, but Magpul's become an industry goliath.

Yet their accessories are clunky as hell and they don't make a legit rail of their own.

I'm confused, who doesn't actually make a rail of their own?

Quoted:
The best solution might be "none of the above". Full cheese grater quad rail is bulky and has slots everywhere that no one will use.  Yet, 1913 remains universal, effective and requires no special purchases or risk of trendy obsolescence.   KeyMod and MLok are variations on a theme.
Ultimately, the ability to put a few accessories only where needed while leaving the remainder of the hand guard slim and smooth is a big improvement over cheese grater.
Why not keep the tried and true 1913 but place securely fastened 3" mini 1913 rail strips only where needed, even at 45 degrees?
The method of attachment is secondary, as long as they are secure.  The accessory remains 1913 compliant, so nothing to buy or replace.
Several manufacturers did this before the KeyMod and MLok fads, but gave way to the novelty to meet the artificially created demand for something new.  New is always better, right?  Humm.
One good example was Daniel Defense's Modular Float Rail (MFR).  I have one and still think its pure 1913 attachment is the best approach.  I expect that people are mostly mounting their 1913 accessories in a similar manner, anyway and not buying very much direct KeyMod or MLok acessories, anyway.  That will probably run its course.

Both M-Lok and Keymod have the ability to attach a 1913 spec rail section where ever the user desires, the appeal is in eliminating unnecessary "middle-man" attachment for quick direct mount. Take for example a Surefire scout light, it has a 1913 attachment screwed into the body (#1), then you attach it to a 1913 rail (#2) that is in turn attached to the rail (#3). Now take that scout light and attach it to say a BCM offset scout mount (since that is what I use) that light is directly mounted to the mount (#1) and then that mount is attached to the rail (#2). I prefer direct mount parts and will avoid having to attach a 1913 rail section to attach a part as best I can, less room for failure

I have nothing against M-Lok, I do not use it simply because I do not like the way all the rails I have looked at attach to the receiver. I much prefer the BCM cross-bolt at the top or the DD quad rail attachment method, and I have not really seen the M-Lok rail from DD available separately or just as an upper (I haven't looked super hard, but I also don't like the DD stock and pistol grip).
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
@DustinS

I believe he was referring to Magpul not making any of their own (aluminum) handguards.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Every time I see this mentioned, I can't help but to think the person is just immature. Look at your keys, more than likely they look like a penis too, do you not like using keys for the same reason?

Both M-Lok and Keymod have the ability to attach a 1913 spec rail section where ever the user desires, the appeal is in eliminating unnecessary "middle-man" attachment for quick direct mount. Take for example a Surefire scout light, it has a 1913 attachment screwed into the body (#1), then you attach it to a 1913 rail (#2) that is in turn attached to the rail (#3). Now take that scout light and attach it to say a BCM offset scout mount (since that is what I use) that light is directly mounted to the mount (#1) and then that mount is attached to the rail (#2). I prefer direct mount parts and will avoid having to attach a 1913 rail section to attach a part as best I can, less room for failure

I have nothing against M-Lok, I do not use it simply because I do not like the way all the rails I have looked at attach to the receiver. I much prefer the BCM cross-bolt at the top or the DD quad rail attachment method, and I have not really seen the M-Lok rail from DD available separately or just as an upper (I haven't looked super hard, but I also don't like the DD stock and pistol grip).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with mlok.  I think it has greater staying power than keymod due to Magpul's backing.  Yep, I know KAC, BCM, and Noveske are keymod, but Magpul's become an industry goliath.

Yet their accessories are clunky as hell and they don't make a legit rail of their own.

Quoted:
The best solution might be "none of the above". Full cheese grater quad rail is bulky and has slots everywhere that no one will use.  Yet, 1913 remains universal, effective and requires no special purchases or risk of trendy obsolescence.   KeyMod and MLok are variations on a theme.
Ultimately, the ability to put a few accessories only where needed while leaving the remainder of the hand guard slim and smooth is a big improvement over cheese grater.
Why not keep the tried and true 1913 but place securely fastened 3" mini 1913 rail strips only where needed, even at 45 degrees?
The method of attachment is secondary, as long as they are secure.  The accessory remains 1913 compliant, so nothing to buy or replace.
Several manufacturers did this before the KeyMod and MLok fads, but gave way to the novelty to meet the artificially created demand for something new.  New is always better, right?  Humm.
One good example was Daniel Defense's Modular Float Rail (MFR).  I have one and still think its pure 1913 attachment is the best approach.  I expect that people are mostly mounting their 1913 accessories in a similar manner, anyway and not buying very much direct KeyMod or MLok acessories, anyway.  That will probably run its course.

I appreciate your response. I see your point if you are starting from scratch.   I only run two accessories.  One is a Harris bipod with a permanently affixed 1913 adapter.  The other is an Insight/EOTech WL1AA weapon light.  The light is an all-in-one unit with an integral QD 1913 rail attachment built into the light.  It would make no sense for me to switch to KeyMod or M-Lok.  I don't use them simultaneously and thus need only one 3" 1913 at the bottom front.  It stays in place all the time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both and like both equally. Why limit yourself when you can have both?

Yg
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I like keymod. It feels sturdier. I am a bit of a BCM fanboy so when I have two around equal options, I go with them. I like the new design innovation and the way the pressure is spread equally around the handguard. Check them out if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#17]
quad rail
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#18]
The real question is who makes the lightest frefloat system?

The orginal KMRs are light and with a titainum barrel nut they are very light.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is not a requirement for me though, going for the direction of whichever is the most light. The lightest Mlok and not outrageously expensive best tubes for the money are being made by Midwest Industries right now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'd want to couple that question with a balance of durability
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you define durability though? Run a truck over it? Simulate bumps against objects you'd see in normal .mil/LE use?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I just upgraded from MOE to Quad Rail.  Daniel Defense Omega.  I have no idea what ya'll are on about.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just upgraded from MOE to Quad Rail.  Daniel Defense Omega.  I have no idea what ya'll are on about.
View Quote
I love mine

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:40:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Roaming the NRA show sunday I made an effort to compare the quad vs. m-loc and keymod when I was at a booth that had all 3.  Aero precision was a great comparison, they had the same length rail in all 3.  Noticeably ligher so I now get that.  Matter of fact, I purchased a magpul hunter for one of my R700's to test it out and I added a couple of m-lock's for bipod mount and qd sling.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How do you define durability though? Run a truck over it? Simulate bumps against objects you'd see in normal .mil/LE use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The KMRs have been known to be too malleable in the face of stress.  I'd personally go with the Alpha version - more weight at the gain of durability
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#26]
As long as Daniel Defense keeps making standard rails, I see no need to switch.

So far I prefer the RIS II to any KeyMod or Mlok handguard.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Glitch.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As long as Daniel Defense keeps making standard rails, I see no need to switch.

So far I prefer the RIS II to any KeyMod or Mlok handguard.
View Quote

I'm a FF RAS guy myself.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The KMRs have been known to be too malleable in the face of stress.  I'd personally go with the Alpha version - more weight at the gain of durability
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I got that. I was hoping for the KMR-A before they came out. But Either way, how do you define durability?

Personally, I do not think BCM will make the KMR again like before. The KMR-A is not that much heavier (2oz if I recall correctly) and cheaper to make. I love my KMR-A, though I'd love to get DD to make that new M-Lok rail available separately and try that on a new (re-build, different configuration) build I'm looking at doing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get both.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And I got that. I was hoping for the KMR-A before they came out. But Either way, how do you define durability?

Personally, I do not think BCM will make the KMR again like before. The KMR-A is not that much heavier (2oz if I recall correctly) and cheaper to make. I love my KMR-A, though I'd love to get DD to make that new M-Lok rail available separately and try that on a new (re-build, different configuration) build I'm looking at doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I want a google search to be tough to show results if I type in "KMR broken" or the likes.  And DD will definitely make the v7 rail as a separate buy...hang in for it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top