Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2016 7:44:47 PM EDT
I have a Stag 3GL that I use only at an indoor 50 yard range.  The muzzle break that came on it is loud and I'd like to replace it with a flash hider or maybe even just a thread protector.  This rifle has an 18" SS fluted barrel, rifle length gas system and is shot off a bipod.  Since shooting off a bipod I wouldn't think I'd have any reason to use a muzzle break (or even a flash hider).

My search queries didn't help me so I thought I'd ask:  What is the quietest set up I can get, a flash hider (and it so, what would you suggest) or does anyone just shoot with nothing on but a thread protector (not sure if that makes it any quieter or not).

I don't mind the loudness, I guess it's really the percussion, especially for those next to me.  But after awhile it even begins to bother me.  I'd also like my sister to enjoy shooting the rifle but right now the muzzle break makes it uncomfortable for her (yes, she is somewhat sensitive to percussion/loud noises....but is getting better).

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly for the price, you can't beat the old A1 or A2 FH.  That's what I would do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's only for use at an indoor range, check out a linear compensator which will direct much of the concussion forward and away from you and adjacent shooters.
Tomac
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From what I have heard, the noise and blast just bounces back from all the walls.

I would just get a flash hider. Phantom 5c2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's only for use at an indoor range, check out a linear compensator which will direct much of the concussion forward and away from you and adjacent shooters.
Tomac

From what I have heard, the noise and blast just bounces back from all the walls.

I would just get a flash hider. Phantom 5c2.

This, or the 5c1 if you want a more traditiona, less aggressivel look in the same basic FH.  Both are very effective as a FH, have some muzzle rise mitigation,and are inespensive, usually under $30 for either.

I got the 5c2 because my LGS had it in stock, it was priced right, and had done so well in comparison tests.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for a flash hider. There are many options/styles out there but the regular A2 works just fine. FYI: You'll need to buy a crush washer to install it.

Muzzle brakes are very loud (as you know) and most hybrid compensators aren't much better, meaning they're quieter than a brake but louder than an A2. Since an indoor range is full of hard surfaces it will probably reflect sound very well so a linear comp may not be much better. And dear lord please don't leave the muzzle bare; that produces a "point source" for the shockwave & sound that you will be able to feel in the range.

My aerospace/ fluids engineer explanation of why one is louder than another: a bare muzzle acts like a "point source" for the shockwave. It does nothing to break up the shock which makes it very loud and produces a pressure blast you can feel. Think of dropping a big rock into water; it makes a big splash and sends out waves. If you dropped the equivalent weight of smaller rocks into the water, the splashes would be smaller and some of the waves would cancel out, which leads us to: Flash hiders provide larger area for the shockwave and gasses to expand, lowering the average velocity, promoting mixing and lessening the noise somewhat (vs a bare muzzle). Compensators use ports to cancel recoil and muzzle rise. The flow area is less than a flash hider but by forcing the flow thru small holes you bleed off energy thru friction which makes turbulence which makes sound. There is also noise created by the "shear layer" which is the region at the boundary of the flow thru the small holes where the jet mixes with ambient air.

Muzzle brakes work by forcing the escaping gas to "impinge" onto baffles. (Like aiming a hose directly onto cement). Since the gasses are traveling VERY fast they are deflected which makes turbulence (& causes the metal to make noise like whacking it with a hammer) but don't lose much energy because the jet is only divided in half (one to each side) so they're still moving fast and form a long shear layer because it takes a long time for the viscosity to mix out the jet. Since the shear layer is long and has lots of area it produces a LOT of turbulence which makes a LOT of sound. Sound power scales with jet velocity to the 8th power (!!!) so fast jets of gas (like those from a muzzle brake) create a TON of acoustic energy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Phantom 5c2 or Phantom 5c1.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Krusty783 - thanks so much for the "point source" explanation!!!!  Fantastic ..........

Mrs_Esterhouse - I'll look into the Phantom 5C2 since it's been mentioned several times (and will research the difference in the c2 and c1)......

Thanks Everyone..........
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
The quietest setup u can get is a supressor... I always suggest a performance option with muzzles. The trade off with the sounds is easily remedied with ear pro. Just wear double ear pro or one set rated for higher decibels.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top