Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 6:25:04 PM EDT
Im pretty set on a new rail system, and Ive decided that I'll probably be going M-LOK.  Im particularly interested in the Troy M-LOK system, but I have a couple of questions if you dont mind...I'll be coming from a Troy Alpha rail, so is there much of a weight difference between the two?  I'd really like to lighten up the rifle all I can, but Im not sure of the weight.  Related, what's the lightest weight M-LOK system right now in 15" sizes?

Or am I really off base here and should I be looking at Keymod stuff?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you need 15"? What do you need to mount on the rail?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I really don't need a 15" rail.  I like the look however, and it does give greater flexibility.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
15" M-Lok is winners.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.  3 oz. isn't all that much.  Thanks!

For you guys that have made the switch, has it been worth it?  I'm looking for something a bit slimmer and lighter than my current Alpha rail.  Not quite fair though as I currently have a 13" rail.  I do like the idea of mounting stuff directly to the rail rather that a separate rail section.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#7]

I have Troy Alpha rails and VTAC/Alpha rails. I just got my first M-Lok rail and went with Troy. The only real difference between the two are the M-Lok rails have 4 mounting screws for attaching to the barrel nut whereas the Alpha uses 3. Size and weight are pretty similar. All I've got mounted are an Arisaka light mount and finger stop. The biggest advantage is the direct mount capability rather than using the small rail sections on the Alpha. I have zero experience w/ Keymod, but I've been please with the Troy M-Lok rail so far.

ETA: if you want to go really lightweight, Troy offers their M-Lok rails in carbon fiber, but they are stupid expensive

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting.  3 oz. isn't all that much.  Thanks!

For you guys that have made the switch, has it been worth it?  I'm looking for something a bit slimmer and lighter than my current Alpha rail.  Not quite fair though as I currently have a 13" rail.  I do like the idea of mounting stuff directly to the rail rather that a separate rail section.
View Quote

I have a 13" Troy Alpha rail, a 15" Geissele Mk8 M-lok rail (not cheap, but excellent), and a 13" ALG Defense EMR V3 M-lok rail (wife's AR; the rail's price for what you get in quality is amazing).  

The diameter "feel" of the ALG rail is closer to the Alpha rail than the Mk8 is to the Alpha rail (smaller diameter ALG rail fits my wife's hand better).  That said, the Geissele Mk8 is pretty close in feel due to the elimination of the intermediate add-on 1913 rail sections.

The Troy Alpha rail came on our first AR15 (surprise -- a Troy rifle) and I still like it, but I doubt I'll ever install anything but an M-lok rail again -- definitely worth it for all the options made possible by the non-proprietary mount arrangement.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you guys.  I ended up buying a 15" Troy M-LOK rail on sale.  Should be here next week so I'm anxious to look at it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you guys.  I ended up buying a 15" Troy M-LOK rail on sale.  Should be here next week so I'm anxious to look at it.
View Quote

I have a 13" of their new mlok . Freakin love it!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
SLR may be an option, I know they use an Al barrel nut so the weight is low.  SLR Rifleworks HELIX 15" M-LOK Rail, as a bonus, I believe you do not have to time the barrel nut to either the gas tube or the rail itself.  Just tighten to what the directions say and that is it.  FWIW, the 15" one I linked to is 8.9oz w/ barrel nut.  Barrel nut is 7075-T6 Al, the rail is Melonite finished instead of anodize.  Plus some people are not a fan of TROY due to their hiring practices...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:28:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I ended up getting a Centurion Arms CMR 15" M Lok rail.  It was my first experience with M Lok.  It seems like it'll hold but it was a pain to get everything threaded and correct.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

SLR may be an option, I know they use an Al barrel nut so the weight is low.  SLR Rifleworks HELIX 15" M-LOK Rail, as a bonus, I believe you do not have to time the barrel nut to either the gas tube or the rail itself.  Just tighten to what the directions say and that is it.  FWIW, the 15" one I linked to is 8.9oz w/ barrel nut.  Barrel nut is 7075-T6 Al, the rail is Melonite finished instead of anodize.  Plus some people are not a fan of TROY due to their hiring practices...
View Quote

Melonite can be only be used on ferrous metals, i.e. not aluminum. The rail is hard coat anodized aluminum, but the hardware is Melonited.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I did not see the ALG options mentioned but maybe I missed it.  

The ALG Mlok rails are light weight and they have three different Mlok rail types in 15in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Melonite can be only be used on ferrous metals, i.e. not aluminum. The rail is hard coat anodized aluminum, but the hardware is Melonited.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, felt weird as I typed as I had never seen anything Al with a Melonite finish. So I guess the screws that hold the rail onto the barrel nut have a Melonite finish.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top