Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2016 3:49:50 PM EDT
Holy Smokes!

The amount of information available here is staggering!

I'm working on my 1st build and every question I could ever need answered has already been addressed countless times.  The search button really comes in handy.

I've already saved some $$$$ with the Equipment Exchange.  I'm really building a  truly custom quality rifle for the cheapest $$$$ available.

Thank you guys!
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Let's see the spec sheet on your elcheapo rifle
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanted to go CHEAP but you guys won't let me.  I wanted to go less than $500 for everything.................................................  No-Go  It's all your fault.

Now up to $350 and it's not even done yet.  I've got the lower done, but now I gotta go UP Top.  The really expensive sh!t is next.

Between YouTube & AR15.com I've been rather spoiled.  But I'm sure I'm missing something.

Now part of me just wants to go to PSA & be done with it............................. but I have a sneaking feeling I wouldn't be completely satisfied.  Realistically I'll never be satisfied.  This is my 1st build after all.

I'm just a Range plinker.  I bought my 1st gun less than 5 years ago.  The most fun I have is the reactive targets. Hikock45 is my hero.  I've looked into ammo loading but I found the ammo search engines here.  I want to do the Appleseed class next.

Help.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the disease. The web is your friend in re AR info, and AR15.com is the center of the universe. You will never be cured, only ease the symptoms with repeated applications of gun stuff.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are wanting to assemble your own M4 type upper, check out this deal on a decent barrel for a plinker...

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1503160.htm
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
...every question I could ever need answered has already been addressed countless times...
View Quote

Truly a person of quality!  He not only knows how to use a search feature but actually uses it.  Thank you!  It gets so tiring to see the same questions asked and answered over and over and personally, it makes me not want to answer a question that has been asked a half dozen times on the first two pages.  It is obvious that way too many people ask first, search later.  Actually, NEVER search at all.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow,

Now AR15 has added some nice responses & PM's while  Corporal_Chaos has also given me some TLC in the Equipment Exchange.

After having my lunch eaten more than once in different online forums..................... this is quite the reverse experience.

Other than the search issue, what special no-no's should I avoid.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Truly a person of quality!  He not only knows how to use a search feature but actually uses it.  Thank you!  It gets so tiring to see the same questions asked and answered over and over and personally, it makes me not want to answer a question that has been asked a half dozen times on the first two pages.  It is obvious that way too many people ask first, search later.  Actually, NEVER search at all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...every question I could ever need answered has already been addressed countless times...

Absolutely. I understand that searching may not be the easiest thing to do, but asking the same question when there are THREE threads on the first page alone... I just feel cynical about it.

Kudo's OP. If you have a question, don't be afraid to ask, but you learn so much more by reading and researching (and then of course by doing).
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Welcome to the disease. The web is your friend in re AR info, and AR15.com is the center of the universe. You will never be cured, only ease the symptoms with repeated applications of gun stuff.
View Quote

YUP THIS
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been having more fun in the past 4 months I've been building this baby................... and I'm just 1/2 way done.

Reading all the different opinions on what makes a good rifle is a blast, this & that.  I don't really know what makes it more of a hoot, the anticipation, the choosing,  the knowledge gained, or the bickering back & forth.

Give me another 4 months and I'll be completely happy.  Until something new comes out.

After all this is done, then I gotta choose the optics.  OMG!  I'll be doing this 1st rifle for a year or more.

The biggest ++++ has been combining trips to the range, shooting other folks rifles, hearing their stories, YouTube, and reading your posts!  I've learned so much.  I won't have to buy 3 or 4 rifles to get what I want.  I'm building this beast the right way the 1st time.  Sure it will cost more than buying the cheapo bargain off the shelf, but I'm going to be so much happier!

Thank you guys!

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the BRD madness.  First thing I recommend to new builders is to stick with the basics at first.  I see alot of threads where someone that is new to AR's is already asking about low mass bolt carriers and various buffer weights,  It reminds me of ordering a steak, then drowning it in steak sauce without tasting it first.  I guess  it's learning what is necessary versus what is personal preference.

It's good to see you use the search feature.  For awhile there would be a new "poly lower" thread posted every other day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#11]
It was late January and I was in the OP's exact spot, I had just bought my first AR15 stripped lower after never have owned an AR15 at all. I found this forum through a coworker and learned so much information just just going into the different sections and reading threads with titles that sounded interesting. Thanks to this forum and its wealth of information my first rifle build went from planning on spending around $500 on a budget first time build to dropping over $1200 on my rifle. I will say to the OP, check out the picture threads, I did this and found so many more options on what parts I liked and didn't like and got to see what some parts actually looked like on the rifle and it helped me decide what I wanted for a rail, grip, stock, etc.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Agreed.

My barrel choice has changed 2 times since I started and luckily I haven't bought anything yet.

I've been looking at different handguards for quite some time too.  Those are the 2 areas I'm planning on spending $$$$$.

Then there is the flash hider/muzzle brake issue.  The charging handle, the BCG, etc.

I was originally going with a completed upper, but nobody makes close to the combo I am interested in.  I'm so conflicted.   I'm a fit & function guy, save all the bells & streamers.

The very next thing I'm intending to buy is the upper.  Striped or Complete?  Is it the best to use the same ideas on the Upper as the Lower?  Are all the uppers the same? I'm thinking the Aero Precision receiver to save a buck!?

Back to the search button.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I tried to do a search, and I'm certain that my question had been answered before, but the search tool only let me search for a maximum of 1 month or newer posts. I've used many forums in the past, and this is the first time that the search function limited your search time frame. Did I miss something or is 30 days the max?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I tried to do a search, and I'm certain that my question had been answered before, but the search tool only let me search for a maximum of 1 month or newer posts. I've used many forums in the past, and this is the first time that the search function limited your search time frame. Did I miss something or is 30 days the max?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything costs.

By becoming a member here for $28 /yr, you get extra benefits, including respect.

Not beating you up, just suggesting - Team, BOTD, better search, archives, etc.

Jus' Sayin'.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Gotcha. I'm on my phone and new to the site, so navigation isn't the easiest. I didn't realize that the site required payment to receive total access.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I am in about the same boat as the OP. I have been building my first AR since November, when my new Son-in-law and I attended the http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/ and he bought me a lower parts kit from Tony's Custom Uppers.

I have been shooting for almost 50 years and usually shoot bolt rifles with custom barrels, but my Son-in-law comes from a military family and is a BIG AR fan.
Then in October my wife handed me a $100 bill and said "Happy birthday, go buy gun stuff!" , so I bought an Aero Precision stripped lower.
That has been the only thing so far that I have paid full price for. All other parts have been at least 10% off, I am not doing a bargain build but an accurate carbine build using sale parts.

Aero blem upper, the only flaw was one corner on the piccateny rail top was dinged.
Fit was so good on the lower, that I haven't bothered with the set screw to tension.

BCM charging handle

Palmetto State BCG

http://www.customar15.net/shop/ar-15-upper-receivers/barrels-ar-15-upper-receivers/lothar-walther-16in-223-wylde-match-grade-barrel-stainless-melonite/  because I missed the sale on Larue barrels.

A Larue MBT

SLR adjustable gas-block and melonited gas tube.

ACE skelaton stock assembly

next to purchase:

M-lock 15" free-float forend

Aero scope mount

AAC Brakeout 2.0 muzzle device

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343491/bushnell-ar-optics-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-illuminated-btr-1-reticle-matte  until I find an optic I like better.

Primary use will be coyote calling and general purpose hole punching.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow,

Now AR15 has added some nice responses & PM's while  Corporal_Chaos has also given me some TLC in the Equipment Exchange.

After having my lunch eaten more than once in different online forums..................... this is quite the reverse experience.

Other than the search issue, what special no-no's should I avoid.  
View Quote

Stay out of General Discussion and you'll be good.  Welcome aboard.  Send pics when you're all done.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#18]
You can also use Google to search the site.

Just type your search and add @ar15.com to the search.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#20]
OK,

I've got a confession to make.  When I 1st started I was looking at this https://www.rainierarms.com/rifle-rainier-arms-ructm-mod-2-16-concrete.  Rainier has a very good reputation.  It's fantastic that you guys are even here!

Like anything, I've changed my mind!    The basic look of the rifle is the same......................................... but.................................

It's just like a good beer.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
The best (worst) influence of this forum is how my definition of "acceptable" changes--usually towards more expensive
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The best (worst) influence of this forum is how my definition of "acceptable" changes--usually towards more expensive
View Quote

Molon's posts reinforced, for me, that I could get "acceptable" accuracy from an AR.
My last semi-auto was a Mini-14, and other than being good enough for "minute of coyote" at 50 yards, seemed to me to be created to miss faster and waste ammo.  
I was set on getting a CZ in .17 Remington, but they had quit producing them. Of course when I was half-way through my AR build they announced on their website that they were making them again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm running into that a lot!  Sold Out crap!  The minute I find something I've got to have............................... they're all sorry mister.

Luckily I'm just like you................................. no hurry.

We're in a buying craze.  I can't believe so many folks are buying individual parts.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Gotcha. I'm on my phone and new to the site, so navigation isn't the easiest. I didn't realize that the site required payment to receive total access.
View Quote

You still can get a ton of info without paying, but yeah paying members do get a couple nice perks. I'd go crazy without those little green arrows

But I still use the google trick when searching, put "site:ar15.com" in front of your google search. And it'll pull up the older stuff and archived stuff for you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to the site. You will find tons of great information and some amazing contributing members. I highly recommend a team membership to support the site and pick up some extra benefits. I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of the site.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you Gang!

I took advantage of the Easter Sales & have a very nice gun at $700.  I like it much better than the local gun shop sells $2200 off the shelf.  It's much lighter, shoots softer, is much more techy, and looks better.

The best part is.................................................................................. I built the entire thing myself with your help & YouTube.

Sure there are add-ons that will make the gun complete. Red dot optics being the biggest thing, but I'm very happy!

When the sales clerk pulled that tank off the shelf at $2200, I almost did a backflip.  

The only items I spared no expense was the barrel & the BCG.  The rest of the furniture was bargain basement, and it's still hella light, is very tight, & looks so techno-cool.  .

Thank you guys!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Plenty of info can be gained without membership. For me the $24 was money well spent and a small price to pay for the knowledge I've gained. The few bonus areas I can access don't hurt either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#28]
 I took it to the range today & broke it in.

It was very tight & unforgiving at first.  Buffer, spring, magazines, BFG, etc.  I was just patient & lubed it up with Ballistol repeatably.  It eventually loosened up & fed consistently.

I zero'ed the iron sites after it was broken in................... then blew up the entire range.  I installed a Compensator that is LOUD.  That is going to take some getting used to!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#29]
pics or it didnt happen
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
pics or it didnt happen
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I would go to Rainier buy a BCM lower BCM Lower Group w/ Mod 0 Stock Black ask Rainier to swap out an ALG combat trigger then go to BCM to buy a 16" upper (get the light wt standard barrel) magpul handguard
Get yourself an Aimpoint Pro
Magpul Mags
GI Ammo
Sling
Light
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#32]
It didn't happen.

This was the 1st time I just walked the range alone & just repeatably shot the place up.  It was a rush!!!!  Wow!

Now I can see what those fully automatic fellas are talking about.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#33]
2nd time out and I have an issue.  

The barrel nut keeps coming loose.  I've torqued it down twice now, 1st time 35 lbs. then 50 lbs and it still keeps coming loose.  Now it could be that my torque wrench is a POS.  It was a fancy one 15 years ago when I bought it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's no longer within spec.

Now I did put some fancy lube on the threads, but that has since been wiped clean.

This next time I'm going to 60 lbs but that's it.  If it comes loose again, I'm buying a new torque wrench........................ at Harbor Freight this time.

Ugh.

The gun itself is fantastic.  Shoots very soft & is incredibly accurate.  The enhanced trigger is great.  The compensator did take some getting used to.  It's very loud.

Please help.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
2nd time out and I have an issue.  

The barrel nut keeps coming loose.  I've torqued it down twice now, 1st time 35 lbs. then 50 lbs and it still keeps coming loose.  Now it could be that my torque wrench is a POS.  It was a fancy one 15 years ago when I bought it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's no longer within spec.

Now I did put some fancy lube on the threads, but that has since been wiped clean.

This next time I'm going to 60 lbs but that's it.  If it comes loose again, I'm buying a new torque wrench........................ at Harbor Freight this time.

Ugh.

The gun itself is fantastic.  Shoots very soft & is incredibly accurate.  The enhanced trigger is great.  The compensator did take some getting used to.  It's very loud.

Please help.
View Quote

Welcome to the club.  It is a disease as mentioned.

I have owned multiple AR15 rifles over the years but not even 2 months ago I was like I want to put together an AR15 pistol for as cheap as possible.  Put together the lower myself and stuck a PSA upper on it (hard to beat complete upper prices right now for a budget build).  Turned out really damn nice but I wanted then something a little longer than 8.5" for the barrel.  I decided this time to do another pistol but a 10.5" and decided to throw the budget build idea out the window.  I have a thread up in the AR pistol section on the 2nd build and have already $1900 into the build.

Check either here on AR15.com or Google to find out exactly what your barrel nut should be torqued to.  I have seen some styles of barrel nuts need to be torqued to 60 or slightly more to line everything up correctly.  I don't think though I have seen people usually have issues with it coming loose especially once you are getting near 50.  It is probably time for a new torque wrench I have a feeling that is your source of the issue.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Did you torque and loosen twice then do the final torque when installing? This will "pre stretch" the threads.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Excellent,

Yes, & yes.  We're thinking in the same direction.

It's a process.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Good thread and nice looking rifle.

Like you I am a newb on the site, well as a member, well not as a payed member, as I have just learned about this.

I too was having the frustration of using the search, but I just went back to searching on google and coming in the back door.  

I have learned a lot from this site, and spend hours researching prior to making a move.  It is nice being able to post now, so glad to be out of the shadows now and look forward to for ing new associations.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Had some quality 1 on 1 time at the range.  It really is a smooth operator.  Combine the rifle gas system with the compensator & it recoils so soft & light.

I had the opportunity to shoot a carbine gas system immediately afterwards and that baby was rather rough in comparison.

The Faxon barrel is really light & very accurate.  After I zeroed my sites, it was spot on.

Did some running & gunning and this AR can throw a lot of lead.

And yes, it was the fault of my torque wrench.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top