Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2016 3:57:34 PM EDT
A few days ago, in another thread, I mentioned that I was getting a Ballistic Advantage .300blk Barrel.  There are a lot of good reviews of Ballistic Advantage, there are very few that actually show groups, especially beyond 3-shot groups.  I mentioned that I would do a range trip, and get some actual results.

My setup isn't nearly as refined as Molon's, unfortunately.  But here are the results.

First of all, the rifle.

image by

I purchased the Ballistic Advantage 10.3" Performance Series while it was the barrel of the week.  The barrel came with a pinned low-pro gas block.  I was replacing another barrel on this build (10.5" KAK) due to the oversized gas port.  Accuracy was ok with the KAK barrel, but not spectacular.  110gr Blacktips were averaging about 2 1/4" groups for 5-shots @ 100 yards.  110 VMAX was a bit better @ ~1.5" for 5 shots.  Reliability was an issue though, with some loads due to the overgassed situation.  The gas port on the KAK measured .125". The gas port on the Ballistic Advantage measures around .078"-.080".  If that barrel wasn't overgassed, I likely wouldn't have purchased this one.

I mounted the barrel and attached an ALG EMR 10" rail and put on an A2 flash hider.  The upper was mounted to my one registered SBR (waiting for a second).  The trigger is an ALG ACT.  While I prefer to do accuracy testing with a better trigger, my SSA-E is in my precision AR (Larue Stealth), and that lower is not SBR'd.  Also, this isn't meant as a precision rifle, so the ACT fits it's purpose.  

The scope is a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 mounted in a Larue QD mount.  The bipod is an Atlas, and I had a sandbag under the rear stock, and a heavier sandbag in front of the bipod as something to load the bipod against.  

The ammo I chose was Hornady factory 110gr VMAX and Barnes 110gr Vor-TX Blacktips.  I chose these specific rounds as they are the rounds I intend on using for this rifle.  Both exhibit good expansion and penetration for defensive purposes.  The blacktip penetrates a bit much, but better than too little.  Additionally, I have had good luck previously with light VMAX loads.  53gr VMAX over H322 are one of the most consistent loads for my 16" Larue Stealth, with 5-shot groups usually in the .8-1.1" range @ 100 yards.  I have other loads that print smaller groups, but they aren't as consistent.

I didn't want to add in any variability in the test that wasn't needed, so I zero'd the VMAX to be a little low and left, since previous experience showed the blacktips to hit slight high and right.  That way I wouldn't have to spin the turrets during the test.  I shot 7-shots to get my rough zero.  

Ballistic Advantage guarantees sub-MOA accuracy with 3-shot groups, so that's what I started with.  

image by

The group measured .852" center to center, so within the guarantee that Ballistic Advantage offers.

However, as anyone who has paid attention to Molon and his fantastic tests can tell you, 3-shot groups mean very, very little.  

So I shot 10-shot groups of the Vmax load.  

First:

image by

Measured 2.283 center to center

You will notice this group is higher up than the other groups.  I originally intended to zero a bit low, and then use the -1mil mark on the reticle.  I realized after shooting the first group, that it was going to put the group too high on some of the other targets.  So for the rest of the groups, I used the reticle center as the aiming point.  

Second:

110 Vmax #2 by

Measured 2.172 center to center

Third:

Vmax 110 #3 by

Measured 2.160 center to center

Obviously, this group showed some improvement, and as this is a new barrel, and I would expect groups to shrink a bit as I go along, I decided to add a 4th 10-shot group.  

image by

Measured 1.698 center to center

Next I moved on to the 110gr Blacktips.  Now, I would have like to do 10-shot groups with this as well, I don't have a huge supply of Blacktips right now, and at more than $1.50 per round, it was going to be a bit expensive.  I brought one magazine (loaded to 28-rounds) with me as a sacrifice to the test, and to establish a zero with the optic that is actually going on this upper (Aimpoint ML3).  

Instead, I shot 4 5-shot groups.  

First:

110 Blacktip #1 by

Measured 1.787" center to center

Second:

110 Blacktip #2 by

Measured 2.43" center to center

Third:

110 Blacktip #3 by

Measured 2.098" center to center

Fourth:

110 Blacktip #4 by

Measured 1.452" center to center

So for the test, the average group size for the 10-shot groups of 110gr Vmax was 2.078" center to center.  The average for the 5-shot groups of 110gr Blacktips was 1.941" center to center.  

After completing the accuracy test, I mounted my Aimpoint ML3, and an Eotech magnifier, and set out to get a working zero at 100 yards.  I zero'd the 110gr blacktips to be ~.5" high at 100 yards.  That puts the 110gr Vmax a touch low and left.  I then confirmed that by shooting 5-headshots with the Vmax's on an IPSC target at 100 yards.  I to the upper right, and put 5 shots in a group in the center that measured 2.5" center to center (not pictured).  

One more interesting observation I had was that a couple weeks ago, I shot the previous barrel with the same loads as today and with the same scope as well.  The adjustment was virtually identical to the other barrel.  But it was a 3.5mil difference over it's zero setting for my Larue Stealth.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up!  I was looking into that same barrel, but didn't pull the trigger.  Went with a 16" Hanson profile one instead.  Glad to know it shoots pretty good.  Thanks, now on to my next build
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the testing.  Unsurprisingly, there is a big difference between 3 shot and 10 shot groups.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Great test and write up. Depending on the intended purpose (and being 300bo I'd imagine absolute precision is not the intended purpose), that's not bad.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Great test and write up. Depending on the intended purpose (and being 300bo I'd imagine absolute precision is not the intended purpose), that's not bad.
View Quote

Thanks.

Absolute precision isn't the end goal.  Precision is only a means to the end; that is, a set accuracy standard for a given purpose.  In this case, the accuracy standard I have set out when I spec'ed out this carbine is, when scoped (and with the above two types of ammo), to be able to hit an 8" circle on demand at 300 yards.  

To me that is just about ideal for a civilian rifle.  

So, I am not disappointed in the level of precision it has shown.  It should meat it's accuracy standard I've set without much issue.  And 90% of time it will have an Aimpoint and relegated to a more close in role.  I just want the ability to longer.  Additionally, the groups are clearly getting smaller as I go, or trending that way at least.  I expect once it's a bit more worn in, it will be a bit more accurate.   We will see.

On the flip side, I am spec'cing out 2 more carbine uppers.  Another .300blk (7.5-8.5") and a mid-weight precision upper.  Had this particular barrel been a bit more precise, I would have more likely to get another BA barrel for those projects.  I still might.  I am happy with the performance, but not to the point I'm not considering other options.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be interested to see similar tests from higher end barrels. IIRC LaRue has been so slow in releasing a 300BLK because they weren't happy with the accuracy they were getting out of it.

I've got a BA Performance series barrel on my 10.5'' 5.56 gun and 16'' modern series. I wanted to move my scope over from my 308 bolt gun to do a similar test, but the rings were too low and I didn't have a riser
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I would be interested to see similar tests from higher end barrels. IIRC LaRue has been so slow in releasing a 300BLK because they weren't happy with the accuracy they were getting out of it.

I've got a BA Performance series barrel on my 10.5'' 5.56 gun and 16'' modern series. I wanted to move my scope over from my 308 bolt gun to do a similar test, but the rings were too low and I didn't have a riser
View Quote

I'm thinking of either trying out a V7 or Faxon as money permits, and a friend of mine is planning on picking up a Rainier soon as well.  I'm going to try to borrow it an evaluate it as well.  Priority is to replenish my depleted ammo stocks first, then I will focus on the next project.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
That was me with the other thread.  I was shooting 5 shot groups around 2" with factory loaded 110 VMAX with a 10x scope.  Those are my best groups. Wish it were better but in the end most of its use with be with subs under 50 yards.  Will consider rebarreling in the future though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Out-frackin-standing!  Thanks for your efforts and for sharing your data.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Out-frackin-standing!  Thanks for your efforts and for sharing your data.
View Quote

Thanks! And thanks for pushing to get data like this out there.  

Hoping next time to refine it a bit more.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for posting that. Leagues above the usual I just received a xyz barrel today, it looks great, hope to shoot it this weekend review.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top