Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2016 1:01:28 AM EDT
I bought a Troy PDW stock for my next build, which will be a .300BO, 8" barrel, pistol length gas tube and will be running subs and a suppressor.  My BIL is also thinking about a similar build.  He researched the Internet for hours and claims to have come across one post about a "gen one" vs "gen 2" Troy PDW, and the Gen one had an "F" marked on the BCG and it supposedly has all kinds of issues.  I can't find anything anywhere on the WWW that suggests this.  So what says the experts on here?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The only thing I've run across was in a review of the Troy kit on Primary Arms.

http://www.primaryarms.com/sbut-pdw-f0bt-00/p/sbut-pdw-f0bt-00/

F marked bolt carriers are the improved model according to the review.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
You could try and call Troy and ask them. They should know the answer, if its true or not. I don't really know much about the Troy PDW stocks. I looked into buying one when they were the only PDW stock beside the NEA. All I can tell you is troys PDW Stock is outdated tech compared to the others like MVB industries and battle arms development avert PDW stocks which let you use any BCG you want. That imo would be a better choice for blackout if you want to run a lighter carrier.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could try and call Troy and ask them. They should know the answer, if its true or not. I don't really know much about the Troy PDW stocks. I looked into buying one when they were the only PDW stock beside the NEA. All I can tell you is troys PDW Stock is outdated tech compared to the others like MVB industries and battle arms development avert PDW stocks which let you use any BCG you want. That imo would be a better choice for blackout if you want to run a lighter carrier.
View Quote

The Troy is slightly shorter than the MVB arc. I'v never seen the BAD one, though it looks good enough as long as its less than or equal to in length of the Troy.  The trade off on the small size is the proprietary bolt carrier, which isn't a huge problem unless you're set on a specific kind of BCG.  Other than that I think the Troy stock is pretty solid.  I can't imagine troy making a bad BCG and you don't hear a lot about BCGs being worn out either way, with the exception of that one bad review from PA.  That guys problem could have been any number of things and there is no follow up on whether swaping BCGs help the situation or not.  Like any piece of novelty or proprietary gear you take a risk of not being able to easily fix it when it breaks, but thats no different if you had just bought a scorpion evo, ACR, or other such rifle.  The AR is capable of swapping out all kinds of parts when they break to keep the gun running and I think that's spoiled a lot of us.  Still it's no reason to stay away from the Troy stock.  If it ever breaks or wears out there will be something new for you to drop your money on anyway.  I mean isn't that what BRD is all about.

Oh I'd like to add that I would probably stay away from the BAD monolithic receiver though.  I'd have to assume anyone buying a pdw stock is building an SBR, and I'd feel hesitant to put that kind of investment into a proprietary lower knowing I'd have to deal with it forever basically.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Troy is slightly shorter than the MVB arc. I'v never seen the BAD one, though it looks good enough as long as its less than or equal to in length of the Troy.  The trade off on the small size is the proprietary bolt carrier, which isn't a huge problem unless you're set on a specific kind of BCG.  Other than that I think the Troy stock is pretty solid.  I can't imagine troy making a bad BCG and you don't hear a lot about BCGs being worn out either way, with the exception of that one bad review from PA.  That guys problem could have been any number of things and there is no follow up on whether swaping BCGs help the situation or not.  Like any piece of novelty or proprietary gear you take a risk of not being able to easily fix it when it breaks, but thats no different if you had just bought a scorpion evo, ACR, or other such rifle.  The AR is capable of swapping out all kinds of parts when they break to keep the gun running and I think that's spoiled a lot of us.  Still it's no reason to stay away from the Troy stock.  If it ever breaks or wears out there will be something new for you to drop your money on anyway.  I mean isn't that what BRD is all about.

Oh I'd like to add that I would probably stay away from the BAD monolithic receiver though.  I'd have to assume anyone buying a pdw stock is building an SBR, and I'd feel hesitant to put that kind of investment into a proprietary lower knowing I'd have to deal with it forever basically.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the length difference between the MVB arc stock and the Troy? It can't be much. The proprietary carrier was the big turn off for me on the Troy and to me its first gen technology. Troy makes good products but I passed on their stock. I have the MVB Arc stock on my 300 blackout build and it works great. The only thing that I had issue with was getting cheek weld but I solved that with pushing the red dot forward a little. I think the troy stock would be the same way. The battle arm development stock has solved that problem with  a piece of fiber over the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What is the length difference between the MVB arc stock and the Troy? It can't be much. The proprietary carrier was the big turn off for me on the Troy and to me its first gen technology. Troy makes good products but I passed on their stock. I have the MVB Arc stock on my 300 blackout build and it works great. The only thing that I had issue with was getting cheek weld but I solved that with pushing the red dot forward a little. I think the troy stock would be the same way. The battle arm development stock has solved that problem with  a piece of fiber over the buffer tube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the difference is 125 mils, which is why I said it is slightly shorter.  So no it's not much.  I can see the proprietary carrier being a turn off for some folk.  I don't ask for the same reliability from this stock and the rifle it's attached to as I would another simpler one I would put my life's hands in.  I also would not really call it first gen technology.  I believe they licensed the design from NEA?  So it IS an improvement on the NEA which includes any updates NEA did beforehand.   The Troy cheek weld is not great either.  It functions but I don't think any of these stock really had cheek weld in mind when they were designed.  We traded a lot for the compactness of these stocks and rifles anyway.  The Troy does tend to pull my beard hairs out from time to time which is easily the most annoying part.

And finally I think the carbon fiber bit is ugly, I read they'll have replacements in different colors and patterns so that's great I do like their idea.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Troy/NEA are 3/4" shorter collapsed.

Honestly, the UCIW is a better option, even if it's a touch longer collapsed than the MVB/BAD/Troy etc.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you seen the Maxim defense stock?

I'm really glad so many of these are being developed because it really opens up the options on building a PDW AR. When it first started the only option was NEA then Troy and now all the others. The UCIW is great option too. What it all comes down to is what works best for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top