Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2016 5:14:57 PM EDT
I'm looking for a handguard/rail about the $100 range and came up with the UTG pro slim 13" at buds and the Matrix arms keymod 13" at chandler hardwoods. I know that ALG has a line of HGs that are similar priced but after adding the optional rails, they are around $150. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the UTG Pro Slim in 15", and I have Zero Complaints, Its Lightweight, easy to manage, and just works well.
There will be people chiming in, that these are cheap junk.. recommending high dollar "name Brand" stuff.. its whatever

I have no experience with the matrix one, but it does look inexpensive enough to try out...

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Deleted shill post.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the ALG were a good deal two years ago, but times have changed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, the ALG were a good deal two years ago, but times have changed.
View Quote

But for the price, I would buy alg over those others all day long, even more so because they do a tremendous amount for arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the Matrix 15" Victor handguard that came on an upper from a local builder rebranded with his name but it is a Matrix handguard. If you like your handguards small I don't think you will find one smaller. I measured mine @ 1.45" outside diameter. I really like the way it fits my hand and quality seems good to me. Just picked one up even cheaper, 15" at rouschsports dot com for $69.24 with free 2 day shipping but have not installed it yet. You will need a 29mm crowfoot wrench to put it on because it doesn't come with a wrench and the barrel nut surface is narrow. Anyway the quality of the handguard seems good and measures slightly bigger @ 1.54" but mileage may vary once I build my 6.5 Grendel as far as how much I like it. Figured I tried it if I do not like I will definitely get another Matrix. BTW the rousch rail comes with 6 keymod rails! As much as those damn things cost I really don't lose anything if I don't like it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Deleted shill post.
View Quote

Chinese airsoft knockoff crap.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The UTG slim rails are very well made. UTGs other rails are very "iffy" but the slim rails ( keymod and mlok) are grade A. I have a key mod slim utg on an SBR build and it is right there in quality imo with Fortis, noveske, yhm and others. I don't know anything about matrix arms handguards but they do look nice. I ordered an upper  from them a week or so ago. It's backordered so I will not know the quality until l get it. Several people like the uppers so I would think the handguards would be gtg too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Matrix rails are good to go. They are also rebranded as KG.

I've heard mostly good things about UTG Pro as well.

Both brands are pretty inexpensive, light weight, and quality.

The Rousch hand guards are decent but be aware they are made in china and kind of heavy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a handguard/rail about the $100 range and came up with the UTG pro slim 13" at buds and the Matrix arms keymod 13" at chandler hardwoods. I know that ALG has a line of HGs that are similar priced but after adding the optional rails, they are around $150. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
View Quote

ALG
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the suggestions, there's actually a lot of american made options in the $100 price range.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the UTG Pro 15" on my budget AR build. Highly recommended if at the right price. It is made in the USA. Interestingly, the UTG Pro has gotten compliments at the range while my KMR, URX and SLR handguards have not. Come on people...know your gear!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered the 15" victor Matrix hand guards from chandler hardwoods. They can't be beat for the price and quality.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have run the UTG Pro Keymod 13" and the BCM KMR-A 10" side by side on my latest builds.  At first I thought the UTG had a really great mounting system, with screws going straight into the barrel nut and anti-rotation ears wrapping around the upper, and even recommended them to others... but at one point all 4 mounting screws loosened up on me and the handguard got loose and started sliding forward.  I noticed it after I installed a muzzle device when I may have been torquing on the handguard some... either that or it just loosened up with normal use.  Then when I went to re-tighten the screws, the heads started stripping.  I wish they used a little better quality hardware.  I did do a 10K Run 'n Gun with the UTG rifle after that where it got beat around a little and it held up fine.  I probably just should have loc-tited the screws to begin with.

In any case, I trust my BCM handguard more.  I have decided to go with another KMR-A on my latest build even though it costs somewhat more.   The KMR is about $75 more than the UTG, but it does come with BCM's excellent sling mount, which is a $20 item and is something I would buy anyway for the other handguard, so it is really more like a $55 difference.  That is well worth it for the extra confidence I will have in it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have run the UTG Pro Keymod 13" and the BCM KMR-A 10" side by side on my latest builds.  At first I thought the UTG had a really great mounting system, with screws going straight into the barrel nut and anti-rotation ears wrapping around the upper, and even recommended them to others... but at one point all 4 mounting screws loosened up on me and the handguard got loose and started sliding forward.  I noticed it after I installed a muzzle device when I may have been torquing on the handguard some... either that or it just loosened up with normal use.  Then when I went to re-tighten the screws, the heads started stripping.  I wish they used a little better quality hardware.  I did do a 10K Run 'n Gun with the UTG rifle after that where it got beat around a little and it held up fine.  I probably just should have loc-tited the screws to begin with.

In any case, I trust my BCM handguard more.  I have decided to go with another KMR-A on my latest build even though it costs somewhat more.   The KMR is about $75 more than the UTG, but it does come with BCM's excellent sling mount, which is a $20 item and is something I would buy anyway for the other handguard, so it is really more like a $55 difference.  That is well worth it for the extra confidence I will have in it.
View Quote

yes loc-tite is the answer. I had screws eventually back out of all things that are not loc-titededed
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Those who have the Matrix, what does it use for anti rotation of the tube?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:23:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 13" model I have is just a clamp on no real anti rotation but a set screw can solve that without much hassle.  It's a phenomenal rail for the price I got it and goes well on a budget 14.5" upper.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I just got a pro mtu015 and it is very very well made. Anodizing is tough, nothing flexes, everything fits, accessories fit the rails.....and it was under $70 made in the usa.

What is to complain about that

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I went cheap on this smith and wesson. Thats a utg pro stock as well.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I am curious between these two rails as well. I just posted almost the same question in another thread which got moved to this subforum and I noticed someone asked my same question before I did. Good feedback on this thread. I'm still torn which rail to buy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am curious between these two rails as well. I just posted almost the same question in another thread which got moved to this subforum and I noticed someone asked my same question before I did. Good feedback on this thread. I'm still torn which rail to buy.
View Quote

I believe either pro model will be more than sufficient. I KNOW for a fact the china made utg stuff is generally crap, this usa produced stuff has been a surprise for me quality wise.

The stock is for a milspec tube and has no wobble without a tensioning system.........i was shocked.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I have to say that the UTG Pro is a very solid, and nice fitting handguard.
I installed it on a friends rifle.
Instillation was simple.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I think you'll be happy with either. I have both the 13" and 15" Victors.  Joe Bob's had all models in stock last I looked....pricing is a bit better than Chandler Hardwoods at this time.

I'm also interested in the New Frontier Armory rails for an inexpensive build: https://newfrontierarmory.com/product-category/ar-15-parts-upper/hand-guards-and-rails/
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I have that utg pro s1 stock on one of mine and like it much better than my Moe stock. I have a 9" utg pro model 4 handguard on the Moe stock ar and quality seems great although it's pre keymod.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have that utg pro s1 stock on one of mine and like it much better than my Moe stock. I have a 9" utg pro model 4 handguard on the Moe stock ar and quality seems great although it's pre keymod.
View Quote

I like the extra cheek weld without the whisker pulling of the add on types
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree on the cheek weld. I also like the way the stock fits with the receiver in the front fully collapsed and the storage capability. About the only thing I don't like about it is the hole at the very top of the stock but not really a big deal. A little longer than normal due to the thick pad.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I also have the UTG Pro Slim in 15" and really like it. it mounts solidly and looks good too, nothing wrong with it! being retired and on a fixxed income it works for me.

Bruce

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The 13" model I have is just a clamp on no real anti rotation but a set screw can solve that without much hassle.  It's a phenomenal rail for the price I got it and goes well on a budget 14.5" upper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, no anti-rotation feature, other than clamping force. It tightens up to the barrel nut with (3) machine screws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top