Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2016 9:30:54 PM EDT
So I bought one of the Aim surplus black nitride bcg's and I had an issue with it.  On its first trip to the range, after shot 59, the roll pin that holds the ejector in place came out and got mangled.

I am now in the market for a bcg that I can rely on.  It doesn't need to be anything too fancy.  I would prefer one that isnt NiB coated since I want one that will last and not have a coating that may flake off later.

Any recommendations?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace the pin or send it back to AIM and get a new one....
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Replace the pin or send it back to AIM and get a new one....
View Quote

Perhaps I just got a lemon but having this happen sorta makes me want to stay away from the brand.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an AIM V2 in one of my builds and it's g2g.....and you just got unlucky.  Nothing wrong with AIM!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
In the thousands of bolts that I've assembled, I don't think I've ever seen a ejector retaining pin work itself loose. Chances are it was a fluke.

Put in a new roll pin and keep shooting it would be my vote.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never had or heard of any issues with BCM. Have you explored the possibility of getting a refund from aim?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In the thousands of bolts that I've assembled, I don't think I've ever seen a ejector retaining pin work itself loose. Chances are it was a fluke.

View Quote

When I disassembled the bolt to check headspace, I was able to push the pin out easily with little hand pressure.  So I dont know if the hole in the bolt was drilled too wide or if the pin was bad.  I will attempt to exchange it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't want to send that one back to AIM for a replacement, get a Nib Toolcraft for $108.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't ever heard anything negative about the AIM V2s and plan to get a few myself.  Even if you do decide to go with a different BCG I would return that one to AIM and let them replace it.  If there is something wrong with it they will completely exchange your BCG for you - they are very good people and do right by their customers.  And then you can have a spare BCG that is probably just as good as whatever one you replace it with.  I understand your skepticism getting a lemon, but I think you are the only one I have ever heard of with this issue.  The chances of it happening again would be so slim I wouldn't much worry about it.  Just put a couple hundred rounds through the new bolt when you get it and break it in and test it for yourself.  

With that said, a couple other good options would be the ToolCraft from WCArmory, or the PSA Premium.  I would probably go with the Toolcraft and get the phosphated ones, I don't like the NIB finish either.  Also if you do decide to send that back to AIM, I would just send them the bolt if the carrier is ok - might save a couple dollars on shipping.  I would just want it replaced with the same C158 milspec bolt and not their 9310 bak-up bolt since I like mil-spec parts.  One other thing you could do if you want some top name brand bolt is instead of buying a whole BCG just get a bolt from a top manufacturer.  Keep the carrier you have, and buy a brand new BCM bolt for $80 if you don't care to spend the money.  Or you can often times find like new Colt or FN ones for much cheaper here on the EE.  Then keep the other replacement AIM bolt as a back up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#9]
AIM

I'm sure if you tell them the issue they'll make it right.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:09:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use an AIM V2 in one of my builds and it's g2g.....and you just got unlucky.  Nothing wrong with AIM!
View Quote

+1 for what he said. After good experiences with the AIM nitride BGC, I have great expectations for the V2 (at only ~$10 more).
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]
AIM is good stuff.  I would also highly recommend WMD's.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you ever been able to remove the ejector roll pin by merely using hand pressure with a punch?  They sent me a replacement roll pin and ejector but I was able to just push it through again, so I am guessing the hole is too wide.  I also want to note that I was able to use only my fingers to start the pin about one third of the way.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I just picked up a Cryptic Coatings phosphate coated BCG for $110.  Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  But the machining looks top notch.  Hard to find any tool marks.  No sharp or unfinished edges.  It comes with an MPI Carpenter 158 bolt.  The phosphate is even and some of the smoothest I've seen.  Plus it has a lifetime warranty.  
This is my first purchase with Cryptic or Toolcraft (their partner), but if this BCG performs as good as it looks, it surely won't be my last.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Barrels, triggers and BCGs are things I never go cheap on. If your budget allows, go BCM, LMT, Colt or DD.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#15]
You should have sent the whole BCG back and let them check it over to see what is going on, in the mean time, put up a new group and keep firing, they are a good company and take care of their customers if you give them the chance.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have you ever been able to remove the ejector roll pin by merely using hand pressure with a punch?  They sent me a replacement roll pin and ejector but I was able to just push it through again, so I am guessing the hole is too wide.  I also want to note that I was able to use only my fingers to start the pin about one third of the way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not. Seems a little odd that the hole is that loose, but when you produce a few thousand BCG's a month, there's bound to be one bad one here or there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Stag.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#18]
That certainly indicates the hole was drilled too large, or worse, the metal is too soft and it opened up with just one driving of a roll pin.  Another possibility is the roll pins they sourced are out of spec, or just too small.

Yet another possibility is you used a punch that is too large and you elongated or reamed the hole larger.

As soon as I found the roll pin basically falling in and out, I would have stopped to seek remediation, instead of running the rifle in that manner.  The whole bolt would have gone back instead of letting them send me parts that obviously wouldn't make a difference.  I know a lot of people love slobbing their knob, but in my experience, their customer service sucks.  Most people just don't have to deal with them,  or at least the person I dealt with, so they are not normally exposed to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top