User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never noticed the whole keymod =dicks thing, but then I don't go around looking for things that look like dicks either.
View Quote

I didn't previously notice it either. But then someone mentioned it to me and now I can't unsee it.  Just like the Spikes Tactical spider/dueling penises.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I chose M-LOK for my 12 " rail. I just think its a cleaner look, and I like how it works. I'm not changing positions on my light of Vertical FG every other day, so that is not a selling point for me.
M-LOK does not have the cheese grader look/feel. I like a lot of the Magpul accessories like the Scout light mount and their Rail covers.

Plus my gut told me that in this "Beta vs. VHS" battle, M-LOK was going to come out on top. Don't know why, just a gut feel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I didn't previously notice it either. But then someone mentioned it to me and now I can't unsee it.  Just like the Spikes Tactical spider/dueling penises.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never noticed the whole keymod =dicks thing, but then I don't go around looking for things that look like dicks either.

I swear there are guys on this site who do nothing but sit around eating Doritos and drinking Mtn Dew while trying to find things that look like dicks, all while calling everyone else faggots.

Quoted:
I chose M-LOK for my 12 " rail. I just think its a cleaner look, and I like how it works. I'm not changing positions on my light of Vertical FG every other day, so that is not a selling point for me.
M-LOK does not have the cheese grader look/feel. I like a lot of the Magpul accessories like the Scout light mount and their Rail covers.

Plus my gut told me that in this "Beta vs. VHS" battle, M-LOK was going to come out on top. Don't know why, just a gut feel.

When was the last time Magpul released something that flat out tanked?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Magpul MASADA comes to mind, and the PTR(S) pocket pistol. While yes, the "Masada" is still around in the form of the Bushmaster ACR, you don't hear much about them or the folding pocket pistol. Not quite "tanking it" but also not "hit it big" products.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Magpul MASADA comes to mind, and the PTR(S) pocket pistol. While yes, the "Masada" is still around in the form of the Bushmaster ACR, you don't hear much about them or the folding pocket pistol. Not quite "tanking it" but also not "hit it big" products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two duds out of 100+ successful products isn't too bad
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I think their hand-guards need a little work though. IMO the ones I've seen still use the delta ring and I much prefer something like the DD lite rails or BCM KMR system.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I still don't really see how it's a contest. MLOK is superior in every measurable way.

-Offers QD
-Doesn't break as easily
-Offers easier/less machining

Colt CA and others have done their own testing and went with MLOK. New products coming out are 3:1 MLOK. All the companies that started out as Keymod only, even Noveske, are now scrambling to make MLOK. Except Bravo company, and that's just because Eric Kinsel is there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, I think their hand-guards need a little work though. IMO the ones I've seen still use the delta ring and I much prefer something like the DD lite rails or BCM KMR system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They own the polymer forend market. Why would they bother trying to compete with the bajillion other companies putting out rails? Instead they got all of those companies to adopt their own specifications with M-Lok
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both of those were Concept/Prototype pieces. Which is why you don't see them..

Remember the small case with a flashlight handle that opened into a pistol?? same thing.. Concept piece.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I still don't really see how it's a contest. MLOK is superior in every measurable way.

-Offers QD
-Doesn't break as easily

Colt CA and others have done their own testing and went with MLOK. New products coming out are 3:1 MLOK. All the companies that started out as Keymod only, even Noveske, are now scrambling to make MLOK. Except Bravo company, and that's just because Eric Kinsel is there.
View Quote

Wrong. MLOK is significantly heavier. The 'switch' to MLOK will increase weight. Guaranteed.

It may also force thicker width rails. All else being equal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

-Offers QD
-Doesn't break as easily

View Quote

Remember, we have gotten away from the "best equipment" era and are in the "lowest price" era of military acquisitions. The stuff they get is not always the best.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both and I'm currently switching to all mlok, that's just my personal opinion. That being said most of the debate on here is fanboys arguing. You have BCM fans and Magpul fans and each complains about the other. Eventually the market will dictate the winner, I predict mlok but I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, this is a way of promoting compatibility thorough a common TDP without an overbearing license agreement.

We ask for a no fee license agreement to be signed for a manufacture to use the M-LOK logo on the product. The only restriction to use the logo is they have to follow the published TDP for the product containing the logo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does magpul freely offer the TDP to manufacturers?

Yes but you need to sign a contract.

In other words they don't want someone building shoddy M-Lok rails and/or accessories correct?

Yes, this is a way of promoting compatibility thorough a common TDP without an overbearing license agreement.

We ask for a no fee license agreement to be signed for a manufacture to use the M-LOK logo on the product. The only restriction to use the logo is they have to follow the published TDP for the product containing the logo.

This solidifies my decision to go with M-Loc, thank you for posting.

I'd like to note again (for anyone who missed it) that I love BCM and swear by their uppers, parts and CS. I purchased a KMR as soon as they were released and loved it until my sling mount kept coming lose, one time causing my rifle to hit the ground. I triple checked the instructions to insure that I was installing it correctly, even putting blue thread locker on the screws. I inspected the rail and mount and both appeared to be undamaged. That experience left a bad taste in my mouth which resulted in the selling of my KMR.

I'm not a tier 1 badass space shuttle door gunner, I'm just a guy who enjoys training and hunting with my ARs. I still need things like sling mounts, lights, ect to stay put and not fall off during use though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

M-LOK and keymod both remove similar amount of material over a similar rails surface with similar thickness.

As such the weight differences between systems (as shown by those manufactures making both) in negligible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Offers QD
-Doesn't break as easily

Wrong. MLOK is significantly heavier. The 'switch' to MLOK will increase weight. Guaranteed.

M-LOK and keymod both remove similar amount of material over a similar rails surface with similar thickness.

As such the weight differences between systems (as shown by those manufactures making both) in negligible.

The words "Similar" and "Negligible".  Doesn't make it the same.  

Fact is, and the manufacturers specs don't lie (I've held and weighed the same exact rail in either format from multiple manufacturers), the KeyMod takes less metal while the MLOK takes more.  This can mean 1+-2+ ounces per rail, maybe more.  In the race for lightweight products (especially handguards) ounces matter.  MLOK is heavier.  That said, I own both.  Just making sure the FACTS get properly stated here vs. fanboi blanket statements that simply aren't true.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fact is, and the manufacturers specs don't lie (I've held and weighed the same exact rail in either format from multiple manufacturers), the KeyMod takes less metal while the MLOK takes more.  This can mean 1+-2+ ounces per rail, maybe more.  In the race for lightweight products (especially handguards) ounces matter.  MLOK is heavier.  That said, I own both.  Just making sure the FACTS get properly stated here vs. fanboi blanket statements that simply aren't true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Offers QD
-Doesn't break as easily

Magpul is correct.  It's splitting hairs.

Here's just one example.  They really aren't all that different in weight when compared apples to apples.

ETA- another thing to consider is that KM costs more to manufacture, hence the higher price tag.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This really depends on the manufacturer and how they mill the rail. Blanket statements can be pretty inaccurate.

Rainier lists the Seekins NOXs rails for MLOK and Keymod as 6.1, 8, and 9.2 ounces for both systems in the 9, 12, and 15" variations.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#20]
See?  Heavier.  I'm right.  

And MI is just one example.  Other rail manu's show a larger spread.  Every single one you'll find MLOK the heavier rail.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

By at most 0.5 oz between MI rails
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And MI is just one example.  Other rail manu's show a larger spread.  Every single one you'll find MLOK the heavier rail.
View Quote

We can very easily apply the word negligible, as in 0.1oz to 0.3oz over a 12-13" forend. That is by all means, negligible, when talking a base weight of 8-12oz.

As for the thicker thing.. I have no idea where you are pulling that from, I don't know a single company that uses two different extrusion profiles for Mlok and Keymod.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're kind of making mountains out of mole hills.

I will be picking up a G3 10.5" M-Lok rail for a 11.5" build.

It literally weighs ONLY 0.1oz more than the Keymod version.

0.1 ounce, or 1/10th of an ounce, or 2.8 grams more.  That's it.

Look at it this way....

Do I want to pay an additional $15 to save 2.8 grams?

No thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half an ounce for the longest rail... Obviously, M-Lok is a brick
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:31:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Just somethong to note that I think many overlooked...

the G3 M-Lok 9" rail weighs 0.4oz LESS THAN the G3 Keymod 9" rail

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#26]

ETA- another thing to consider is that KM costs more to manufacture, hence the higher price tag.

View Quote

This was stated early on by Magpul and has been repeated regularly by others. My experience has been that KM and M-LOK handguards aren't appreciably different in price for mid to high end examples. On the low end however, you can find KM rails for around $50-$70 (Matrix Arms in 13" to 15" for example). For M-LOK, the best budget pricing I've seen is around $85 to $90 (Guntec 12" to 15" for example).

Not a huge difference really, but for a budget build those few bucks count. Overall, I don't think the originally promised savings for M-LOK have materialized.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I like Keymod.  For one, because of the KMR-A.  Everything I want in a handguard for a good price.  I also like Keymod because the only accessory I mount to the side or bottom of my handguards is a QD cup for a sling swivel, and Keymod allows the swivel to sit inside the handguard and be very low profile.  Another great thing about the KMR-A is that it comes with BCM's excellent QD sling mount.  Aesthetics isn't a top concern for me, but I do think Keymod looks better.  Dicks?  Really?  What is this, third grade?  I guess I forget a lot of the membership here are in their teens-early 20s.  Y'all must not be able to make it through a trip to the supermarket without giggling yourselves silly.

The ALG EMR is the equivalent of the KMR in Mlok, and is actually cheaper, but I don't like it as well.  It has built-in sling mounts, and they're not where I want them.

Anyway I have 3 rifles and counting that are Keymod, so I won't be changing anytime soon.  Rifle handguards aren't like video cassettes or discs, where there has to be one standard that the whole market uses... as long as there is a significant enough segment of the market using something, manufacturers will continue to make accessories for it.  And with all the people using Keymod and all the big names turning out product with it, it certainly isn't going anywhere any time soon.  It had the advantage of being the first to market by a couple years.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This was stated early on by Magpul and has been repeated regularly by others. My experience has been that KM and M-LOK handguards aren't appreciably different in price for mid to high end examples. On the low end however, you can find KM rails for around $50-$70 (Matrix Arms in 13" to 15" for example). For M-LOK, the best budget pricing I've seen is around $85 to $90 (Guntec 12" to 15" for example).

Not a huge difference really, but for a budget build those few bucks count. Overall, I don't think the originally promised savings for M-LOK have materialized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's not entirely accurate.  MI rails are "middle of the road" price wise.

Look at the images of the MI rails I posted on the previous page.

The Keymod rails cost anywhere from ~10%-15% more than their M-Lok counterparts, and that's just that manufacturer.

I bet if one made a comprehensive list comparing apples to apples rail systems, the M-Lok would generally be less expensive across the board.

Is it a whole lot?  Not always, but the savings are still there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#29]
The manufacturing cost argument is mostly bullshit, the KeyMod slot can be machined just as cost effectivly as a MLok slot with the right tooling. Sure if your going to make it with a couple of endmills and 100° dovetail cutter, it's going to take more time than a MLok slot.

From manufacturing/design stand point MLok's back side flat requirement and hardware clearance can be a PITA, the KeyMod is much more self contained in this regard, one of the reasons(aside from the obvious) BCM won't make a MLok KMR, it would require a big design and total retool of the hand guard extrusion profile.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#30]
The KMR was designed exclusively for Keymod, which is apparent by it's extremely slim profile. I can completely understand BCM not wanting to spend the time, money and effort redesigning the KRM for M-Lok.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The KMR was designed exclusively for Keymod, which is apparent by it's extremely slim profile. I can completely understand BCM not wanting to spend the time, money and effort redesigning the KRM for M-Lok.
View Quote
MLok is hard to accomplish on any fore-end with a full round inner profile.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#32]
M-LOK is a superior mounting system.

I have 3 keymod rails and I'm saying that. I've had stuff properly attached that's come lose during carbine classes. M-LOKs cam system is really designed to ensure nothing moves off the gun unless you want it to.

The only reason I went with keymod is M-LOK wasn't around when I switched from quad rails to something slimmer. Which is one of the reasons people bought modular rails in the first place in addition to them being lighter. The ability to direct attach stuff was just an added bonus.

The only accessory I have mounted on any of my guns that is not on the picatinny rail on top is a GripStop or rail covers and the GripStop is mounted with the universal hardware to ensure it never comes off.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
M-LOK is a superior mounting system.

I have 3 keymod rails and I'm saying that. I've had stuff properly attached that's come lose during carbine classes. M-LOKs cam system is really designed to ensure nothing moves off the gun unless you want it to.

The only reason I went with keymod is M-LOK wasn't around when I switched from quad rails to something slimmer. Which is one of the reasons people bought modular rails in the first place in addition to them being lighter. The ability to direct attach stuff was just an added bonus.

The only accessory I have mounted on any of my guns that is not on the picatinny rail on top is a GripStop or rail covers and the GripStop is mounted with the universal hardware to ensure it never comes off.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12039311_709948222437981_2705921219252218338_n.jpg?oh=30e85ab9d523ad832f8691b3c5dde3d1&oe=57294214
View Quote

That camo job looks great!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Seems Magpul is enforcing their requirement to follow the TDP for M-Lok.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/684087_2A_Armament_10__9_6_Actual__BL_RAIL_M_Lok.html&page=1#i7015375
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Seems Magpul is enforcing their requirement to follow the TDP for M-Lok.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/684087_2A_Armament_10__9_6_Actual__BL_RAIL_M_Lok.html&page=1#i7015375
View Quote

They are. That's one of the reasons it's a superior system. And the guys at 2A don't fuck around. They make top notch stuff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#36]
The more I research the more I'm liking M-Lok.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:06:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I really dig my Midwest M-Lock handguard. I'll be completely honest, I really like the KMR and Slim rail but the keymod is so damn ugly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I really dig my Midwest M-Lock handguard. I'll be completely honest, I really like the KMR and Slim rail but the keymod is so damn ugly.
View Quote

I loved the way my KMR felt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Keymod rails cost anywhere from ~10%-15% more than their M-Lok counterparts, and that's just that manufacturer.

I bet if one made a comprehensive list comparing apples to apples rail systems, the M-Lok would generally be less expensive across the board.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you can get the big picture from looking at just one manufacturer. Look at SLR Rifleworks for example, their Keymod rails are slightly less expensive than their M-Lok offerings.

I was speaking more from an industry wide perspective...I don't think it can be denied that you can get a Keymod rail cheaper than the least expensive M-Lok offering.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:38:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I went with MLOK for my first departure from quad rails.  8" SLR Ion lite for a 7.5 barrel PDW.

Not gonna lie, it was mostly because it looks better than Keymod.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Just built a new rifle and had to pick a handguard.  Previously I'd used a Troy Alpha but won't use those again.  I decided on a MI G3 rail and after a lot of internal debate, I went with the MLok.  I'm happy with that choice.  My first accessory, an Arson Machine light mount, locks up tight and is quickly removable (which I wanted for this rifle).
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
To those of you that have personally used both both systems, which of the two did you prefer and why?
View Quote

MLOK.

Because no dicks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#43]
It's not about the aesthetics.  It's about function.

Too many reports of damage with keymod.  Other reports of shit coming loose.  Issues when it comes to polymer handguards.  

Magpul had the advantage of seeing the flaws of keymod, and making a system that is better.  

Even Bill Geisselle has stated that M-Lok is the best non-picattiny system.  

Add in KDG's kinnect qd adapters for M-Lok, and M-Lok just makes more sense.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Reading this thread is mind numbing ... Too much subjective opinion and dudes with penis envy, let's keep it technical. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested in the functional advantages/disadvantages of KeyMod vs. MLOK. IMO, cost and weight aren't deciding factors because it goes both ways. One advantage I see to MLOK is Magpul controls the TDP, which in theory, should result in better consistency regarding the platform and accessories made by other manufacturers. I personally run the BCM KMR-A and it does everything I need it to and is plenty durable for my needs as a LEO. I've only seen one instance where someone fucked up a KMR (correct me if I'm wrong) and was admittedly user error. Still, BCM took care of the customer and replaced the rail, even after it was beat to shit by the user. If other manufacturers were held more accountable to the KeyMod TDP, I think there would be less reports of issues with the platform. This is why I only run the KMR and buy KeyMod accessories from BCM, because I know they are made to the TDP. If I for some reason switched to MLOK down the road, I'd have more options considering all manufacturers have to follow the MLOK TDP. However, at this point, I see no reason to switch. Again, JMO...
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I only buy SLR rails and keymod is lighter
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top