Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2015 10:22:32 PM EDT
I think I am about to buy an 18" LaRue stealth barrel to put on a PSA stripped upper. Wanted to ask to make sure there wasn't something propierietary about LaRue that I missed that would be a problem before I order it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It will work just fine but that's like putting a fiero body on a Lotus.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Oddly enough the 1988 Fiero GT was on a lotus designed suspension or was that what you you were referring to?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
That PSA upper is just like any other normal upper.   The LaRue barrel will be right at home on it..
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Just make sure you match up the ramps.

You can choose standard or M4 for the Stealth barrel. Check your PSA upper. You don't want an upper with M4 ramps and a barrel extension with rifle.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I was going back and forth between barrels and decided on the 20" stealth from LaRue. I figured since I have a 16" with a carbine length, I might as well get a 20" with a rifle length to have something different (as their 18" barrel also has a carbine length system).

That sale was just too good to pass up
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No they aren't.  There are plenty of uppers that have play when you drop the barrel in, higher quality uppers don't.  I would guess that if you purchased a Larue upper, you wouldn't find any slop.  I know you wouldn't find any slop with Cross Machine and Tool or Vltor uppers either.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That PSA upper is just like any other normal upper.

No they aren't.  There are plenty of uppers that have play when you drop the barrel in, higher quality uppers don't.  I would guess that if you purchased a Larue upper, you wouldn't find any slop.  I know you wouldn't find any slop with Cross Machine and Tool or Vltor uppers either.  

I have purchased uppers from a pretty wide variety of re sellers
Psa, ap, bcm, ra, and never really had an issue with any of them

They were all the same....as is a FORGED laRue upper(if they even have one) with standerized parts like stripped uppers what you are getting is higher qc to check every part and ensure it passes there qc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#8]
"They were all the same....as is a FORGED laRue upper(if they even have one) with standerized parts like stripped uppers what you are getting is higher qc to check every part and ensure it passes there qc."

+1

I have Vltor MUR, BCM, Noveske, Mega, Spike, and several Anderson ($39) stripped uppers. My 18" heavy barrel was mounted on the cheap ass Anderson stripped upper and I was printing 1.5" @ 100 yds easily with shitty 55 grains 5.56 Independence ammo, 3.5 lbs drop-in trigger, and a Harris bipod.

Save your money on the stripped upper and invest in a good trigger, like a Geissele 2 Stage, Cyber Monday Sale, Geissele, $115+Free Shipping+Swag (I think)

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:14:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was going back and forth between barrels and decided on the 20" stealth from LaRue. I figured since I have a 16" with a carbine length, I might as well get a 20" with a rifle length to have something different (as their 18" barrel also has a carbine length system).

View Quote

No, the LaRue 18" barrel is NOT a carbine length gas system.  It is mid-length, as is their 16" as well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, the LaRue 18" barrel is NOT a carbine length gas system.  It is mid-length, as is their 16" as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right!

I meant to say that the 18" has a mid-length. I wanted to go with the biggest difference (rifle length)
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but why does is seem that the 18" Larue stealth barrel is more popular than the 20" barrel?  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but why does is seem that the 18" Larue stealth barrel is more popular than the 20" barrel?  
View Quote

A little lighter and handier, every bit as accurate with a very small velocity loss as the tradeoff.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know since I just bought an upper/lower receiver combo through the Apex program just for a Larue Stealth 18" barrel*. Sometimes life's choices are confirmed

* This is going to be a great build for the price.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm not sure where you are coming up with a forged Larue upper, but it doesn't change what I posted is correct.  I have a feeling you are operating from a significantly different knowledge base.  There is much more than just QC, there are critical dimensions involved.  Cheaper parts get a wider variance, which is why they are cheaper.  Machine time is part of the cost equation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were all the same....as is a FORGED laRue upper(if they even have one) with standerized parts like stripped uppers what you are getting is higher qc to check every part and ensure it passes there qc.

I'm not sure where you are coming up with a forged Larue upper, but it doesn't change what I posted is correct.  I have a feeling you are operating from a significantly different knowledge base.  There is much more than just QC, there are critical dimensions involved.  Cheaper parts get a wider variance, which is why they are cheaper.  Machine time is part of the cost equation.

I agree with Stickman 200%.  As for forged parts, all the forging of the upper provides is the rough shape of the part. The final shape is still machined out and the hole for the barrel extension bored out ect.... A thousandth or two here or there and you can end up with slop.  

Not a bad thing if all you care about is minute of bad guy at <200yrd.  But if you are going for a sub moa shooter and buying a barrel that should be capable, your accuracy can go to poop in a hurry if the barrel extension is not snug, the bore is not square to the frontt of the upper and the flange sitting flat all the way around..
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In general 18" barrels are more popular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK

Quoted:
Quoted:

A little lighter and handier, every bit as accurate with a very small velocity loss as the tradeoff.

O ok, i'm a noob and i was planning on picking up my first barrel in the TOT sale to build a precision AR and start learning to shoot a precision semi-auto. I was kind of confused which way to go because i read that the 20" is softer shooting etc, but if the trade off is very little i might go for the 18" with m4 feed ramps.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
OK
O ok, i'm a noob and i was planning on picking up my first barrel in the TOT sale to build a precision AR and start learning to shoot a precision semi-auto. I was kind of confused which way to go because i read that the 20" is softer shooting etc, but if the trade off is very little i might go for the 18" with m4 feed ramps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK

Quoted:

Quoted:

You won't notice much difference in recoil. A 16" or 18" does make a slightly handier rifle. I would go shorter if you plan to pack it around much. If your going to shoot prone all the time and want to stretch the distance I would get the 20" so your bullets will stay supersonic longer.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OK

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK

Quoted:
Quoted:

If 100% of your shooting is from a bench - or prone, AND you want faster follow-up shots - then a 20" with rifle length gas, will be slightly softer in the recoil department.... due to being heavier weight barrel (more stationary mass), and longer gas system.  This is a VERY small amount, however, so most consider the benefits of an 18" to be worth it.  I bought an 18" for my stealth for this reason.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the reply guys, i think i'm going to go with the 18" since this will be mostly a bench precision rig. Did i make a good decision with the m4 feed ramp choice?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I went with standard ramps with my 20" Larue because Mark Larue feels they are gentler to your match ammunition resulting in better accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply guys, i think i'm going to go with the 18" since this will be mostly a bench precision rig. Did i make a good decision with the m4 feed ramp choice?
View Quote

I would - only because MOST upper receivers you find are M4 cut already, and you can use M4 cut extensions in ANY receiver - so more options down the road.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may have just sold me on getting a Cross Machine and Tool or Rainer Arms billet set to use for my larue barrel vs my aero precision upper if it truly will be a snug fit. The larue barrel slides into the aero upper with zero resistance of any kind. Never thought about it before and my others run just fine but with CMT being on sale perhaps it's worth the bump up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Like Jaq, my 20" is standard feed ramped. I went with a matching Larue upper. Seemed like the natural choice as there's definitely an over abundance of M4 ramped uppers available on the market today.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I ordered the 18" m4 feedramp stealth barrel yesterday, the stealth upper looks really nice but i don't want to spend $250 on an upper. If the stealth upper fo on sale i will get one, i'm going to wait and see. This is a slow build.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:59:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I would face a cheap upper if installing a Larue barrel. There is a lapping tool specifically designed for this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would face a cheap upper if installing a Larue barrel. There is a lapping tool specifically designed for this.
View Quote

Made by wheeler.  I use it on ALL my builds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top