Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2015 6:02:26 AM EDT
I'm wanting to know if you are using either of these rails.  How are they?  

Have a G2 SS that has been good, but I do not like the mounting method and want to try something else.  The M-lok REV II looks great, but I'm worried about any rail that mounts to a stock barrel nut.  

I'm using a 15" rail now and like it, so the 14" versions are the ones I'm considering.

Oh yeah....same questions about the new Troy M-lok rails.  They don't give weight specs and not sure about how it mounts either.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
In for the replies on the Rev II. Seems to be a lot slimmer style than the Gen 1's 2x4 profile.

I have two Centurian Arms Rails that use the standard barrel nut. Never an issue with a solid lockup.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Watching this tread.  I still want to try a Rev2 myself.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like I may have to be the Guinea pig.

I'm actually looking hard at the Mega, MK8, and Rev II.

I like the MK8 because it's a beast.  I like the Wedge-Lock because it's innovative and 7075.

Both are heavy and more costly.  

I may get the RevII.  Silly as it may be I like it because Fortis uses a rich satin black and it matches my DPMS receivers.  I think it looks pretty good.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Installed the switch rail on my 5.56 AR. Love it so far but confess I haven't used it enough to generate any significant data on it. It feels great. It's very light weight.  It was extremely easy and quick to install. Torque the proprietary barrel nut that does not need to be indexed, line it up, close the latch, done. My original thinking was that it would be an option to lesson the cost of two uppers by moving the rail from one to the other according to which one I was using. May still do this, but I'm not sure what that will do to BUIS zero. Eventually I'm sure I'll just get two of them. I'm a fan but again I've not used it enough to generate a proper review.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Well guys. I ordered a 14" M-lok Rev2.

Bought it based on features, weight, price, and cool looks.  

I will update this thread for those interested.

If it sucks, I will be brutally honest.  Same as if it's great.

Quick footnote some may or may not be aware of:  The Fortis rails run long.
The 14" is actually 14.8" according to their website.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well guys. I ordered a 14" M-lok Rev2.

Bought it based on features, weight, price, and cool looks.  

I will update this thread for those interested.

If it sucks, I will be brutally honest.  Same as if it's great.

Quick footnote some may or may not be aware of:  The Fortis rails run long.
The 14" is actually 14.8" according to their website.
View Quote

Yea, that rail does run longer than 14"!!  Definitely post up, I havent bought anything yet and need a little persuasion.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used FORTIS REV rails on a few rifles.  Good rail, sturdy and comfortable.  Only issue I have seen is flex which can throw off front sight.

I have been switching out to the Midwest G2 M-LOK series for a slightly lighter rail that has less flex.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The Fortis RevII is impressive to me.  I think it's better in every single way compared to my MI SS G2 it's replacing.  

It's lighter, better looking, stronger, and I believe the mounting method to be far superior.  All of this is subjective and based on my opinion.  

The 14" model I just received is actually almost identical in overall length to my 15" MI.  

ETA:  Not looking too good.  I knew the barrel nut was actually a little tight last time I installed the G2.  Well.....I may or may not need a new upper when I get done.  Heat, chisels, punches, wrenches, all have been used.  Now I'm actually cutting little sections and breaking them off one by one.  It's very time consuming, and delicate....about as delicate as you can be with a cutoff wheel and hammers anyway....

ETA#2:  Well, it was a war of attrition.  But I'm like a bulldog, once I get my teeth into something I don't let go.  Be damned if a cheap ass barrel nut was whooping my ass.  Got the rail installed.  Man, the REVII is a really, really, nice piece.  It does have some quirks that make install a little challenging for a perfectionist like me.  

First and foremost, I cut, ground, and beat the MI barrel nut off with chisels, cutoff wheels, etc.  Problem is, my upper receiver vice block does not play well with the MI barrel nut, nor does it do well with the anti-rotation tabs of the RevII.  So I could only cut so far, before I would have to remove it from the vice block and put the upper back into the vice to enable me to cut further.  I was going slowly and alternating between bare upper in the vice using the cutoff wheel, and upper in vice block with hammer and chisel.

I forgot to reinstall it back into my vice block on a couple of occasions and hit it a time or two while it was loosely sitting in the vice.  I hit it and said "damn, look at my dumbass".  Worst thing that happened was I put a nick or two into my brass deflector.  At this point I'm just tickled I was able to get the barrel nut off without mangling the upper receiver, so I consider that a win in my book.

On to the install.  The install is straightforward and not difficult.  It is however, tedious.  The design is effective and innovative using the stock barrel nut and the small dovetailed lower portion of the rail that locks everything together.  I'm actually kind of amazed at the amount of precision they must make these things with in order to get that dovetail to fit so well on stock barrel nuts.  I mean there are slight variances from one to another.  Maybe only a few thousandths, but nevertheless you can bet they variances are there.

Mine fit well.  The tedious part is getting the rail perfectly straight and centered.  This has to do with two main issues.  Issue number one is me.  I'm pickier than all hell.  Nobody you've ever seen would be as anal about stupid shit as I am.  Number two:  The only way to get this thing as close to perfect as possible is through a lot of trial and error.  Naturally the gas block and tube need to be perfectly centered in the nuts teeth.  The teeth in turn, also have to be a perfect fit with the rails lockup slot.  If it's off even a fraction of a millimeter I can see it in the top rail alignment and the barrel center of the rail.  I probably installed and removed and installed again this whole rail, nut, gas tube setup at least 25 times before I considered it as close as I could get it.  You may get it on the first try.

Overall: Well, overall I'm ecstatic with it.  It is truly a nice piece.  The install is tedious, but I feel the end result is worth it.  The lockup method is far and away better than my previous MI rail in my opinion.  I believe it to be a little lighter, and possible stiffer as well.  It's still a very well finished piece, and as such is just as comfortable in the hand.  I really like the M-LOK capability as well as the built in rotation limited QD swivels.  One more "feature" or at least something I noticed is the anodizing.  This rail, and my aluminum Fortis QD receiver endplate are both anodized black. The anodizing is far, far, better to my eye than many other products out there.  The MI I had seemed durable enough.  But the anodizing looked kinda shitty.  It looked more like a chalkboard with a dry look.  This won't amount to a hill of beans to most of you.  But I'm running DPMS receivers and they have a rich, deep, satin black "sheen" if you will.  The Fortis products have this same look.  Instead of looking like pieces I added on, they look more like they were purpose built for my rifle.  It's a nice touch, even if it doesn't matter in use.

Guys, I'm sorry for writing this book.  I just got done and wanted to relay any and all pertinent information for those interested.  If you have any questions I will be more than happy to try and answer.  I WILL have some good pics up for you tomorrow.  The lighting in here sucks, and you wouldn't be able to really see any detail tonight.  I will go outside tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Overall Foursixty score..........8.5 out of a possible 10.  The RevII is fantastic overall and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  However, due to the stock barrel nut constraining design, it is slightly more tedious than some to install.  If it had a well thought out barrel nut that didn't need to be timed, and an octagonal design that incorporated M-LOK slots at the 2,4,7,10 o'clock portions of the rail I would have probably ranked it a 10.  Neither one of these are really "issues" and some will appreciate being able to use the stock barrel nut.  These are more my personal wishes.

Two thumbs up.  I hope this helps someone.

ETA#3:  By the way, I bought this from an online vendor and gave $210.  I feel like it offers a lot for that price.  It does however face stiff competition at this price with nearly every manufacturer having rails in the same range.  BCM, SLR, MI Gen3 (In my opinion the others in the MI family aren't close, only the Gen3 would be comparable), ALG, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Some pics.  I had to modify the Magpul M-LOK bipod attachment.  When fully tightened the little screw was too close for comfort with my gas block.  I simply ground some meat off of it as seen in the pics.  

ETA:  I really like the M-LOK system.  If you take 10 mins of your time and look at how things work in there, it becomes second nature to attach and remove things and the strength of attachment is phenomenal.  I also have a Ruger 10/22 with Magpul's Hunter X22 Stock and it is awesome.  Polymer M-LOK works well too, but not as well as when mounting to aluminum.  I installed their QD M-LOK swivel on my X22 and it works just fine, but it's a lot harder to get the initial install due to lack of visibility and the polymers thickness.  YMMV.

Details on rifle are as follows:

Started as a DPMS Oracle

Spikes FN-CHF 16" mid-length Barrel w/Troy gas block and WMD nitride gas tube
2a Armament T3 comp
AIM 9310 bolt
Mil-Spec tube w/B5 SOPMOD w/H-buffer
Spikes CS recoil spring
LaRue MBT-2S trigger w/KNS .155 pins (an astonishingly good combo I might add)
Fortis aluminum QD receiver endplate
Fortis 14" REV II M-LOK (actually almost 15")
Magpul M-LOK Bipod Mount
Magpul MOE+ Grip
VTAC Padded Sling
BCM Large latch charging handle (I think it's a Mod 3)
Harris leg notch bipod w/swivel
Vortex HS-LR 2.5-10x32 FFP scope w/ 30mm Nikon P mounts (mounts to replaced with either a Nightforce or LaRue mount, haven't decided yet)

Anyway here you go.....

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks sweet. Fortis does make some awesome parts and their fit and finish is top notch. I have their short angled foregrip and an F1 cantilevered mount under my Aimpoint micro.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like I'll be ditching my Rev for a Rev 2. My complaint on the Rev was that it was too tall. The lack of a bottom rail on version 2 looks like it'll fit the bill.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like I'll be ditching my Rev for a Rev 2. My complaint on the Rev was that it was too tall. The lack of a bottom rail on version 2 looks like it'll fit the bill.
View Quote

I never bought an original REV for that exact reason.  This new incarnation seems to have really nailed a great profile.  I really like the fit and feel in the hand.  Honestly, it's almost oval feeling in the hand, and it works for me.

Pretty cool you can get it in M-LOK or Keymod, for your preference too.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:03:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Very NICE! I really like it. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Very NICE! I really like it. Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

Thank you sir!  Much appreciated.  Just like all of us, I'm constantly changing and trying to improve these things for me.  They are never "finished" are they?.  Lol.

Hopefully my random sometimes long winded thoughts and opinions can help someone making a decision.  That's all I'm trying to do.

I like the rail quite a bit.  

Got a Gen2 Warne extended "xskel" mount coming.  Came down to it, the Nightforce, and the Larue.  All the other mounts just sit too high for my liking.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
That looks great.  For me, it is the Rev II or a BCM KMR Alpha.  I wonder which flexes less?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top