Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2015 10:44:13 AM EDT
I currently have a 13in troy vtac alpha and was looking for a change. I've only read maybe 3 reviews of these rails online. not many pics of them actually installed on a gun.
Anyone one have some solid experience with these rails and have actually put some rounds through their guns with them on?
The price points for the "made in the USA" rails are between $50-$80 for the 3 different models in different lengths.
These good to go or should I just stick with the alpha?
CHARLIE
FOXTROT
VICTOR
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive read that they make OEM parts for Rugers AR platform, but I cannot vouch personally for their quality.  Hell, give em a whirl and tell us what you think.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah for that price it's worth it to take a chance. I was just wondering if I could find someone with first hand knowledge that they weren't even worth the $50. If that were the case I'd know not to waste my time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
A few people and I have some experience with this hand guard. I have a Matrix Arms 15" Charlie hand guard on my pistol build w/ an ARP 12.5" 6.8SPC barrel and it seems like a really nice hand guard.
I also purchased a Matrix 15" Foxtrot hand guard for one of my rifles I am converting to DI from an Adams Arms piston system but the gas block was too big to fit under the Matrix handguard so I ordered an ALG EMR. The gas block was a Paralax Tactical Titanuim Low profile .750 gas block.

Link to Thread: http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?57305-Matrix-Keymod-Handguards

I think these Matrix Hand-guards are very nice, "especially for the money",  just remember they have a small inner diameter when ordering a gas block. (Reported Inner diameter is 1.3")

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I currently have a 13in troy vtac alpha and was looking for a change. I've only read maybe 3 reviews of these rails online. not many pics of them actually installed on a gun.
Anyone one have some solid experience with these rails and have actually put some rounds through their guns with them on?
The price points for the "made in the USA" rails are between $50-$80 for the 3 different models in different lengths.
CHARLIE
FOXTROT
VICTOR
View Quote

I'm in the process of building a .40 carbine and decided to try out one of the Matrix 13" Charlie Keymod hand guards.  See pics below.  Not to bad for the amount I paid.  

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet since I just got my bolt today.  The guard is very light and slim, about 1.3" ID.  The barrel nut is small and has flats for tightening with a crescent wrench or ?size crows foot if you want to use a torque wrench.  If you put this on a gas tube gun, there's no need for timing the barrel nut.  There are no anti-rotation tabs to speak of with the hand guard being held in place with (3) hex screws.  I put a little blue locktite on the inside of the guard and on the screw threads just prior to tightening up the screws to provide some "insurance that it won't come loose (hopefully).  

Gonna put on a red dot or some Magpul BUIS to get out on Monday to shoot it.  Note the top rail.  I could not get the "gap" to close up any tighter.  Hopefully it won't affect the BUIS zero.  Sorry if the pics don't display well...forgive the dust...camera picks up EVERYTHING.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm in the process of building a .40 carbine and decided to try out one of the Matrix 13" Charlie Keymod hand guards.  See pics below.  Not to bad for the amount I paid.  

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet since I just got my bolt today.  The guard is very light and slim, about 1.3" ID.  The barrel nut is small and has flats for tightening with a crescent wrench or ?size crows foot if you want to use a torque wrench.  If you put this on a gas tube gun, there's no need for timing the barrel nut.  There are no anti-rotation tabs to speak of with the hand guard being held in place with (3) hex screws.  I put a little blue locktite on the inside of the guard and on the screw threads just prior to tightening up the screws to provide some "insurance that it won't come loose (hopefully).  

Gonna put on a red dot or some Magpul BUIS to get out on Monday to shoot it.  Note the top rail.  I could not get the "gap" to close up any tighter.  Hopefully it won't affect the BUIS zero.  Sorry if the pics don't display well...forgive the dust...camera picks up EVERYTHING.  

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz119/andywoj00/.40_zpspes2plnk.jpg
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz119/andywoj00/top%20rail_zpsc0uxlp9e.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CHARLIE
FOXTROT
VICTOR

I've never seen a rail of any kind fit "perfectly".  There are just far too many minor deviations with uppers for them to be 100% perfect.  Part of the beauty of the AR platform, the modularity.  Hell, mine don't fit that tight.  It's an MI rail.  Looks good to me.  I know it won't affect zero in the slightest.

I never heard of these rails until I clicked this thread.  They don't look half-bad.  Let us know.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I was eyeballing one of the Foxtrot rails for a cheap truck/trunk rifle build, but I'm not to sure about them not having any anti rotation tabs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was eyeballing one of the Foxtrot rails for a cheap truck/trunk rifle build, but I'm not to sure about them not having any anti rotation tabs.
View Quote

I questioned MA on this issue.  Got an email s follows :
"Andrew,
Have you tested this design? If the screws are tight you cannot rotate the Handguard with any reason able force. This was actually tested at a show today where someone used all their force trying to twist the Handguard.

Regards,

Colby Santaw
Manufacturing Engineer
Marketing & Sales Director
Matrix Arms/Matrix Aerospace

I responded and got this back:

" I'm sure you will not have any problems. We supply about a 1000 rails a week to Matrix customers and about 10,000 to contract customers. I have not had a complaint yet about rotation on the Handguard. I hope this is true in your experience as well.

Best regards,

Colby Santaw
Manufacturing Engineer
Marketing & Sales Director"

We'll see how it goes tomorrow when I shoot it.  I'm not foreseeing any issues.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"Andrew,
Have you tested this design? If the screws are tight you cannot rotate the Handguard with any reason able force. This was actually tested at a show today where someone used all their force trying to twist the Handguard.

Regards,

Colby Santaw
Manufacturing Engineer

" I'm sure you will not have any problems. We supply about a 1000 rails a week to Matrix customers and about 10,000 to contract customers. I have not had a complaint yet about rotation on the Handguard. I hope this is true in your experience as well.

Best regards,

Colby Santaw
Manufacturing Engineer

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Andrew,

Regards,

Colby Santaw
Manufacturing Engineer

Best regards,

Colby Santaw
Manufacturing Engineer

Went out today and shot the .40 carbine, about 150 rounds.  QC10 barrel was accurate, ragged hole at 50yds.  
The Matrix Arms hand guard held up and did not come loose.  I have another gun that's a bit heavy due to a 15" PA Seekins hand guard, diameter is huge.  I may pick up another one of the Matrix Arms to replace it.  $120 lesson learned.....stick with the slim hand guards.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the update. I'm about to pick up another ar (probably m&p sport) for budget and this rail may fit the bill for my budget.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CHARLIE
FOXTROT
VICTOR

I just noticed your barrel is not centered in the handguard, looks way low to me. Can you tell what's causing it? I seen that joebob's had the 13" foxtrot back in stock so I pulled the trigger on one to try out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#11]
It may be the way it was leaning on the wall when I snapped the pic.  If you look down the barrel, it's pretty well centered.   ID is about 1.3" and has good room for gas tube.  
When I shot it for the first time, windage/elevation adjustments were minimal.  Using mbus bus the sights are not locating extreme L/R or U/D.  Plus, I lapped the receiver a bit for piece of mind that all was as square as  possible.   Pic below at 50 yds with PA red dot shooting fairly fast.  I could probably tighten  it up if I slow down.  Opens up if pushed out to 100yds, drops quite a bit.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got my 13.5'' Foxtrot hand guard and I'm impressed with how solid it's feels and how well it's machined, for the cost I half expected something of chicom quality for the price, I'm glad I was wrong. The anodizing on it is very flat and matches the finish of my Anderson receivers perfectly, I do wish the wrench flats for tightening the barrel nut were a little longer though. I going to Cerakote it burnt bronze with the receivers and run it, if I experience any rotation I may drill and tap the rail at 3 and 9 o'clock just past the Matrix engraving and add set screws that will tighten against the barrel nut.

ETA: this rail is VERY slim matrix says 1.3 but my calipers say 1.28''
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got a matrix arms 9 inch Foxtrot on my AR Pistol.   I purchased based on being Made in USA and the low price point..... I was considering UTG Pro, but ended up going this route largely due to price.

I'm very impressed with the rail. As mentioned above, I was very concerned about the "twist" since there's nothing other than tension holding the rail in place.  I have tried with all my might to turn the hand guard on the barrel nut and cannot do it.  

I'll also add that this is SUPER slim.  you will need an incredibly low profile gas block to fit in there.   Next time i'm in the market for a handguard, it will be another Matrix Arms.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#14]
It appears that there is a slight color difference in the anodizing. Is it bad, not noticeable or easily fixed with a little rem oil?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It appears that there is a slight color difference in the anodizing. Is it bad, not noticeable or easily fixed with a little rem oil?
View Quote

The difference is negligible.   I don't think I've ever had any anodized aftermarket parts ever match perfectly.    When I  first started building AR's, that bugged me as well.....not any more.  I concern myself now more with perfect function and less on cosmetics.  My guns to me are tools, need to be taken out alot and shot/enjoyed.  A nick, blem or slight color difference doesn't bother me anymore.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The difference is negligible.   I don't think I've ever had any anodized aftermarket parts ever match perfectly.    When I  first started building AR's, that bugged me as well.....not any more.  I concern myself now more with perfect function and less on cosmetics.  My guns to me are tools, need to be taken out alot and shot/enjoyed.  A nick, blem or slight color difference doesn't bother me anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chalky look should go away with some clp or other oil on it, didn't matter much to me as I Cerakoted everything anyways. I will say the anodizing is tough, I was able to etch it without blowing through it when prepping for cerakote. I've prepped rails that were a lot more expensive that the anodizing blew right off as soon as the media hit it, no matter how far away I had the nozzle.
ETA: I meant to just quote Dan
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Excellent rails for the price. Got 2 for myself. Cheaper than 2 UTG pro rails I have, and much better quality. 15" Matrix weighs in at 12.8 with their barrel nut, and it's way stiffer than UTG Pro. Wish I found out about these earlier to get the Foxtrot in 15". The cheapest I'm seeing online now is around $100. The other 2 cost me less than $150 shipped for both.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Well I'm done with the Matrix handguards. I ordered a 15" Matrix handguard that looked like a Foxtrot from Chandler Hardwoods and the keymod slots were backwards. Chandler contacted Matrix about this and Matrix said they were the LAVI handguards that I purchased. The keymod slots were engineered reversed for sniper applications on the LAVI handguards.

Well I went on the Matrix site and looked at the LAVI handguards and they are only for 7.62 applications which require a bigger handguard and barrel nut than for 5.56 applications which I purchased the handguard for(6.8 really). On Chandler Hardwoods web site they did not have LAVI in the description at all. I questioned Chandler and Matrix about the LAVI being for 7.52 only and never received any reply except that I bought a LAVI Hand-guard and the keymod slots are suppose to be reversed.
Just FYI, The so-called LAVI handguard w/ reversed keymod slots fit perfectly on my 5.56,(Really 6.8), application which should not fit 5.56.

I now have a 15" piece of aluminum scrap that I cannot use!

I really wanted to get this problem addressed with Chandlerhardwoods & Matrix because there are so many people on a budget that these handguards would benefit but it did not happen. I think Chandler Hardwoods is caught in the middle of this and Matrix just is not fully understanding the problem. I hope they get this figured out!

Anyone in the Jacksonville, Florida area that would like to have this LAVI/Foxtrot Hybrid 5.56 reversed keymod slot handguard for free is welcome to it! Email me at [email protected].

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well I'm done with the Matrix handguards. I ordered a 15" Matrix handguard that looked like a Foxtrot from Chandler Hardwoods and the keymod slots were backwards. Chandler contacted Matrix about this and Matrix said they were the LAVI handguards that I purchased. The keymod slots were engineered reversed for sniper applications on the LAVI handguards. Well I went on the Matrix site and looked at the LAVI handguards and they are only for 7.62 applications which require a bigger handguard and barrel nut than for 5.56 applications which I purchased the handguard for(6.8 really). On Chandler Hardwoods web site they did not have LAVI in the description at all. I questioned Chandler and Matrix about the LAVI being for 7.52 only and never received any reply except that I bought a LAVI Hand-guard and the keymod slots are suppose to be reversed.Just FYI, The so-called LAVI handguard w/ reversed keymod slots fit perfectly on my 5.56,(Really 6.8), application which should not fit 5.56.

I really wanted to get this problem addressed with Chandlerhardwoods & Matrix because there are so many people on a budget that these handguards would benefit but it did not happen. I think Chandler Hardwoods is caught in the middle of this and Matrix just is not fully understanding the problem. I hope they get this figured out!

Anyone in the Jacksonville, Florida area that would like to have this LAVI/Foxtrot Hybrid 5.56 reversed keymod slot handguard for free is welcome to it! Email me at [email protected].

View Quote

Perhaps Chandler has updated their website due to your issue, but they note the direction of the keymod slots as well as the fact that Matrix refers to this handguard as the LAVI. FWIW, the LAVI is made in both 5.56 and 7.62 configurations according to Matrix's website.

From what I can discern, Chandler is not actually selling the Foxtrot model, which from Matrix's website has the keymod going the typical direction, but the LAVI model. Matrix's website and Joebob Outfitters both show the actual foxtrot model with the keymod slots the typical direction.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I'm done with the Matrix handguards. I ordered a 15" Matrix handguard that looked like a Foxtrot from Chandler Hardwoods and the keymod slots were backwards. Chandler contacted Matrix about this and Matrix said they were the LAVI handguards that I purchased. The keymod slots were engineered reversed for sniper applications on the LAVI handguards. Well I went on the Matrix site and looked at the LAVI handguards and they are only for 7.62 applications which require a bigger handguard and barrel nut than for 5.56 applications which I purchased the handguard for(6.8 really). On Chandler Hardwoods web site they did not have LAVI in the description at all. I questioned Chandler and Matrix about the LAVI being for 7.52 only and never received any reply except that I bought a LAVI Hand-guard and the keymod slots are suppose to be reversed.Just FYI, The so-called LAVI handguard w/ reversed keymod slots fit perfectly on my 5.56,(Really 6.8), application which should not fit 5.56.

View Quote

5.56 Lavi Handguard if the barrel nut threads on your 5.56 upper, then you got the 5.56 version.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Perhaps Chandler has updated their website due to your issue, but they note the direction of the keymod slots as well as the fact that Matrix refers to this handguard as the LAVI. FWIW, the LAVI is made in both 5.56 and 7.62 configurations according to Matrix's website.

From what I can discern, Chandler is not actually selling the Foxtrot model, which from Matrix's website has the keymod going the typical direction, but the LAVI model. Matrix's website and Joebob Outfitters both show the actual foxtrot model with the keymod slots the typical direction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The LAVI handguards were described as only made for 7.62 on the Matrix web site when I purchased the handguard and Chandler had no indication in their description that the handguard was a LAVI handguard. I went on both websites several times to make sure.

I am glad that both companies have included the information to truly describe the Handguards now as like I said before, these handguards fill a roll for people on a budget. I still will not purchase them anymore and as I said before, Anyone in the Jacksonville, Florida area that wants the handguard can have it if they come and get it!

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I just installed a Matrix Arms 308 Lavi 11.5" Hanguard for my 12.5" AR 308 Pistol Budget build.  Fits tight and top rail lines up perfectly with the Aero Precision M5 Upper.  $140 shipped is an excellent price for a well built handguard.  Not as nice as the SLR but damn close.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer using Joebob's > Chandler

Once you spend more than $90 the shipping is free, and they have a better selection of parts as well.

Just ordered my 2nd Matrix Aerospace rail.

For the cost these things are excellent and light weight. Not sure how long low prices on these will last. People complain about the finish being chalky, there is an easy fix.

Wipe it down with a lint free rag with some CLP/Hoppes.

Use another lint free rag with some rubbing alcohol. The finish will now match most uppers/lowers.

The wrench size is a bit funky for the barrel nut. It is 1 3/16" I found a Williams brand wrench on ebay for 25 bucks shipped. Made in the USA as well.

Awesome seller btw.

No need to index with shims, just torque it down, slide the rail on, use blue loctite on the screws, and torque as needed.

It makes me wonder, why the hell are free float rails so expensive these days. I only paid $65 for the 13" rail and it compliments my pinned 14.5" barrel well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It makes me wonder, why the hell are free float rails so expensive these days. I only paid $65 for the 13" rail and it compliments my pinned 14.5" barrel well.
View Quote

Because people pay the asking price? Besides, I think these might be fuckups. Those big round holes on both ends were probably supposed to be QD attachment slots. They got screwed up in production, so Matrix turned them into a "decorative design feature" and pawned the rails off for 1/3rd the price. Just spitballing here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because people pay the asking price? Besides, I think these might be fuckups. Those big round holes on both ends were probably supposed to be QD attachment slots. They got screwed up in production, so Matrix turned them into a "decorative design feature" and pawned the rails off for 1/3rd the price. Just spitballing here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen a handguard with QD mounts in the 45* section, most will have a couple at 3 & 9 o'clock like my Fortis rev, so I doubt they're fuck ups. I got my barrel back from the smith so I'll add a pic to this thread(I'll get better ones tomorrow).
ETA: I guess you're talking about the large hole right behind the front most keymod slot, I still doubt that it was a qd socket. if you look at different rails with the qd sockets built into them, the area where the sockets would be are thicker than the rest of the rail. There's no evidence of that here.
13.5'' Foxtrot
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#26]
My question would be why put a QD look a like in the position the QD would be in and then not supply a QD?  Not a make or break but seems stupid to me?  Not above trying a rail at that price, but not in need of one now, so I will continue to watch the thread.  You usually get what you pay for at these price points.  Occasionally you are pleasantly surprised.  And occasionally you get in on the ground floor of something real good then prices head north.  We will see where this goes, jury still out from my perspective.  Will know more with time as with all things.  

Hard to beat Midwest for price, precision, and quality....oh and don't forget customer service.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Does the jury say I need a super low profile gas block for these to work???  Something out of the ordinary?  Putting together  a beater and might try one out

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does the jury say I need a super low profile gas block for these to work???  Something out of the ordinary?  Putting together  a beater and might try one out

View Quote

I used a Faxon low pro gas block. the bottom of the gas block needs to be pretty slim, no clamp on types.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I am looking at getting the matrix arms foxtrot rail for my sons build.  I noticed the inner diameter is 1.3".  I was wondering if anyone would know if the KAK flash can slim would fit in the rail being it is 1.2" outer diameter?  I can see it being a tight fit if at all.  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am looking at getting the matrix arms foxtrot rail for my sons build.  I noticed the inner diameter is 1.3".  I was wondering if anyone would know if the KAK flash can slim would fit in the rail being it is 1.2" outer diameter?  I can see it being a tight fit if at all.  Any help is appreciated.
View Quote

Get an exact outside diameter measurement of the KAK can and I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes the KAK slimline flash cans will work. i have it on a charlie keymod rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top