Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 12:13:38 AM EDT
I am looking into getting an 11.5" barrel.  I have checked out offerings from BCM and Spikes Tactical.  Both companies barrels are CHF made by FN.  Both are A2 "Government" profile, for whatever reason the BCM barrel weighs 3oz  more (Spikes is 17.5 oz, BCM's is 21oz).  I would like to hear from anyone who can tell me the differences between these two.  

SPIKES

BCM BFH

Also, the BCM std. barrel.  I dont know who makes these...They are not Cold Hammer Forged (FN process) so I am not sure who makes them for BCM.  Spec wise they are very similar to the BCM BFH and Spikes... a little more like the Spikes as the weight is 18oz.

BCM STD. LIGHT WEIGHT
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]

They are not the same profile, the spikes is .625, while the bcm is .750

Bcm doesn't share who their suppliers are, and most likely never will.

They don't make crap, so i wouldn't worry
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They are not the same profile, the spikes is .625, while the bcm is .750

Bcm doesn't share who their suppliers are, and most likely never will.

They don't make crap, so i wouldn't worry
View Quote

Thank you for pointing out the GB dia size.  In terms of the origin, while BCM does not share their supplier I am fairly sure that its a well-known fact that they come from FN.  That being said, I know that not all barrels sourced from the same mfg are the same.. different specs/quality control measures for different contracts.   I own a FN barrel that came from PSA  and could not be happier with it.  It shoots 1 MOA all day, sub MOA with good ammo.... so I am pretty comfortable with the product FN produces
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
FN making BCM's BFH barrels is nothing more well spread internet speculation.  

I've owned a few of them and if you can get 2moa with good ammo, you're doing about as good as it gets.   I have not been able to tell any difference between the standard and CHF BCM barrels and honestly have not been impressed with the accuracy of either.  

The absolute best chrome lined barrels I've used have been Colt.  

Flame suit on for the first faggot who calls me a fan boy.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally I like to buy from manufacturers of components instead of resellers. Something about not knowing where a bolt or barrel came from makes me feel some kind of way. Nothing against BCM, (disclaimer: I own multiple bcg's of theirs as well as a KMR that I love), but I wont buy any of their barrels or bcg's anymore for that reason.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've owned a few of them and if you can get 2moa with good ammo, you're doing about as good as it gets.   I have not been able to tell any difference between the standard and CHF BCM barrels and honestly have not been impressed with the accuracy of either.  

View Quote

Once upon a time a very good source at BCM told me their standard barrels were made by FN
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Your mileage may vary , but here is my experience with the Spikes/FN 11.5

We ordered a bunch for the shop back in 2011. They looked nice and we didn't notice any issue with them when installing. Shooting was a completely different story. When we took them out to zero, we ran out of windage. We pinned the rear sight all the way to the right and the gun was still shooting left at 25 yards. We thought it was a fluke and tried a different barrel. All 5 barrels we ordered had the same issue.

Fast forward to the end of 2014. I was looking for a new barrel for my SBR. I thought that maybe the last batch of Spikes/FN barrels were bad, so I decided to try them again. I picked up one from a distributor and installed it on my upper and took it out to the range. This time, I ended up pinning the rear sight all the way to the left and I was still hitting right at 25 yards. I ended up tossing the barrel and going with a Daniel Defense 11.5" barrel (1.28lbs)

I have used a 14.5" Spikes/FN barrel for over 4 years now and I haven't had any issues with it. But the Spikes/FN 11.5 barrels have been giving me problems.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

+100 I have arrived at the same conclusion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We ordered a bunch for the shop back in 2011. They looked nice and we didn't notice any issue with them when installing. Shooting was a completely different story. When we took them out to zero, we ran out of windage. We pinned the rear sight all the way to the right and the gun was still shooting left at 25 yards. We thought it was a fluke and tried a different barrel. All 5 barrels we ordered had the same issue.

Fast forward to the end of 2014. I was looking for a new barrel for my SBR. I thought that maybe the last batch of Spikes/FN barrels were bad, so I decided to try them again. I picked up one from a distributor and installed it on my upper and took it out to the range. This time, I ended up pinning the rear sight all the way to the left and I was still hitting right at 25 yards. I ended up tossing the barrel and going with a Daniel Defense 11.5" barrel (1.28lbs)

I have used a 14.5" Spikes/FN barrel for over 4 years now and I haven't had any issues with it. But the Spikes/FN 11.5 barrels have been giving me problems.

View Quote

Sounds like you have an out of whack upper.

To the OP

I like FN products.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

To the OP

I like FN products.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the OP

I like FN products.

Upper was fine back in 2011 as we tried other non/spikes barrels and the thing shot straight.

Most recently, in 2014, the upper previously had a 16" BCM SFW cut barrel and it shot straight. Then I put in the spikes 11.5 and it was off. Swapped in the DD 11.5 and it was dead on. So I am going to assume that it is the barrel and not the uppers.

There was never a point to complain to spikes since they would jump to the same conclusion that you did and say that since I built the gun, then something else must be wrong and it isn't the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting.

And I don't know Spikes seems to have a pretty good CS rep.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally I like to buy from manufacturers of components instead of resellers. Something about not knowing where a bolt or barrel came from makes me feel some kind of way. Nothing against BCM, (disclaimer: I own multiple bcg's of theirs as well as a KMR that I love), but I wont buy any of their barrels or bcg's anymore for that reason.
View Quote

Very few of the companies out there make their own bolt groups.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

With barrels I absolutely try to stick to that "rule" for myself. For bcg's I've recently been going with Daniel Defense and RCA.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#13]
If i were going to buy one of those barrels it would be the Spikes because of the profile.

I've been getting my fn brls from psa since i'm hooked on 10.5". The sales they have makes them impossible for me to pass up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Once upon a time a very good source at BCM told me their standard barrels were made by FN
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little birdie once told me that FN makes Colts' barrel's as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#15]
A few places sometimes make barrels for Colt, is FN one?  I dunno, don't care.  

Sample of one:  I built an upper for a friend a few years ago using a Spike's 16" Optimum profile and it was a good shooter.   I only ever saw it shoot M193 when I function checked/zerod it and was fine.   I actually really liked the profile.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wasn't Daniel Defense making Spikes CHF barrels in 2011?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats really extreme... I would think that if spikes was selling barrels that had such issues from 2011-2014 or just during 2011 and again in 2014 a large number of people would have received them and experienced that same problem...  If that was the case I would expect to see a lot of posts with people complaining about such a problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If i were going to buy one of those barrels it would be the Spikes because of the profile.
View Quote

Agreed.  I like the Spikes profile as well.  I found one for the same price as the BCM Std. I know FN makes good stuff but from what I am reading in this thread I am a little concerned with the quality control for their Spikes batches...  Obviously I would not be happy with a barrel that shoots way right/left.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if they were ''making them'', but Spikes was selling them on their uppers. I have one of the apparent rare Spike's uppers with the D.D melonite barrels and it is the real deal. They only offered them for a short while and I happened to hit the window.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Spikes typically has a larger gas port than BCM.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had extremely good luck with FN branded and Spikes/FN branded CHF barrels in the 14.5 and 16" range.  I have gotten great accuracy from them.  I suggest that if you surround them with in spec and good known parts you will have a great shooter.  

It is widely speculated that FN makes BFH BCM barrels.  I personally believe this speculation.  I know of no resources currently to confirm this though.  I have a buddy who has a BCM stainless rig.  One of the most accurate AR's I have seen or shot.  I cannot speak first hand to the BCM BFH accuracy.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Spikes 11.5"

Have had no accuracy issues (4 inch groupings at 100 yards with an EoTech and no magnification).
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, FN has been making the spikes double chrome barrels for as long as I can remember
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Get a PSA CHF and be done with it...FN made as well
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
No, FN has been making the spikes double chrome barrels for as long as I can remember
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FN does make the "EXTRA THICK" chrome lined barrels for Spikes.  But Spikes has/had a Compressor series that is CHF/Nitrided.  I do not know who makes that barrel.  It could very well be FN.  But the only companies I know dabbling in nitrided CHF barrels is LWRC and DD.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top