Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 4:45:49 PM EDT
Currently waiting on ATF so I finish a 300blk SBR build, and felt the need to move in a different direction while waiting. After all, this addiction aint going to fix itself.

So looking around at 18 inch barrels out there, it appears there are a lot of great options for SPR Profiles. WOA Krieger, Ranier, Douglas, BCM...  I mean the list goes on and on for budgets of all sizes. What I don't see are a lot of 18 in rifle length gas barrels with medium contours. Now, I'm not sure if this is due to people wanting to build clones, or because the slightly heavier option is just that much better. Personally, not fond of the SPR Profile, don't plan on building a clone, and don't need a barrel to fit the Ops Inc Brake. I just want a decent barrel that will keep the fps up over my 16in, and shoot better than my CL carbine barrels, while not being too heavy to want to go take a long walk with.

As far as 18 inch medium contours go, I know Noveske has one, I know V Seven Weapons Sys has one, but I have done a lot of looking and just haven't seen much else. I called up CLE (and I'm sure many smith's would offer the service) and they told me they could build one for me. Now before I go ahead and do that; I have to wonder if I'm looking for something that's not hugely available because it's not a great idea, or because the market is catering to the wants of the "SPR" crowd.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
More people are interested in the heavy SPR variants.  Have you looked at the DD S2W barrels?  Does Ranier offer their medcon profile in the 18" version?  Both of those seem like they would fit your needs/wants.

If medium profile is what you want, then get it.  As long as you get a high end barrel it should perform fairly well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look at this barrel.  

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatchtm-223-wylde-barrel-18-intermediate

I know it's not rifle gas, but your not building an SPR clone, so that shouldn't be a big deal.  The intermediate gas is an excellent fit for the 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatchtm-223-wylde-barrel-18-intermediate

I know it's not rifle gas, but your not building an SPR clone, so that shouldn't be a big deal.  The intermediate gas is an excellent fit for the 18" barrel.
View Quote

I haven't, but thanks! I will definitely take a look.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with this one for my in-laws 18" build. Haven't shot it yet cause the build isn't done but the barrel is a lot lighter than my 18" JP medium profile barrel.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m18-18-223-wylde-chamber/

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Green Mountain, AR15Perfomance, Faxon, VooDoo
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Still a pretty hefty barrel at 41 ounces.  A bit pricey as well.  OP, are you looking for something lighter in weight?  That fluted Green Mountain looks pretty good, nice price too.   Odin Works also makes 18" rifle gas barrels with a med profile, about 35oz.  

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Still a pretty hefty barrel at 41 ounces.  A bit pricey as well.  OP, are you looking for something lighter in weight?  That fluted Green Mountain looks pretty good, nice price too.   Odin Works also makes 18" rifle gas barrels with a med profile, about 35oz.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looking for something light in weight than the SPR's, but not pencil thin. Looking up that GM barrel, and it's a great price. Will also take a look at the Odin barrels. But more so than weight I was just wanting to know if all the SPR Profiles were so popular because they were so much better than the other profiles/contours, or because that's what most of the market wants to see for cosmetic or cool factor.

Thanks for all the quick replies, this place is a knowledge gold mine (well, as long you stay in the tech area )
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had pretty good results with my GM 18" barrel.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't know about it firsthand, but a look at their website had the Criterion Barrels Hybrid contour catching my eye.

Will probably never actually have one, but for that 18" upper that I keep contemplating idly, it's probably #2 or #3 on the wish list. DD S2W and now that Green Mountain are also looking really good though. Also looks like the Criterion Hybrid is actually a bit heavier than the Green Mountain in 18" and rifle gas. Green Mountain says 2.1lbs for the fluted, Criterion says 2.3lbs for the hybrid. If that's important to you, anyway.

Again, just based on a quick website skim. Never had one in my hands. My interest in the Criterion might be shifting to the Green Mountain after seeing this thread.

Damn it, Arfcom! I'm pre-spending money I don't even have yet, for a project I haven't even started!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Odin Works and Rise Armament both have "competition" profiles available for 18" barrels, but they might be a bit lighter than you're looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top