Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2015 11:59:08 PM EDT
I know I have seen people hollow out the recoil Lugs in a BCM KMR but has anyone filed them off? Just want to know it it has caused a strength issue or not. I only ask because other than the last inch or two for a front sight I don't have a use for them and it will give a cleaner look and feel to the hand guard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You want to mill off the rail at the top?

You could do it but I'd measure twice.   That metal is gonna be super thin.

I think it would be cool.

Check out Era three.  They make a hand guard like that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want to mill off the rail at the top?

You could do it but I'd measure twice.   That metal is gonna be super thin.

I think it would be cool.

Check out Era three.  They make a hand guard like that.
View Quote

I already have the KMR, just thinking of was to shave off an oz. and clean it up. I am surprised that BCM has not offered it as an option already. Especially if there were vents on the top say 2" from the upper in a 8" section. That way it leaves 3" up front for front sight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the lightweight thread, it's a guy in there that has already done what your thinking of doing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, he cut Mlok in the top and it only shaved .7oz
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If you cut a KMR you have to seal the exposed raw surface. It's a magnesium alloy and I believe will corrode otherwise.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top