Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2015 5:34:37 PM EDT
I'm just curious why there are no free float handguard torture tests? I'm sure most of them bend fairly easily but would be nice to know that ones that are stronger than others...
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm just curious why there are no free float handguard torture tests? I'm sure most of them bend fairly easily but would be nice to know that ones that are stronger than others...
View Quote

The rails being used in combat would be a good place to start?  They seem to be holding up well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The Daniel Defense RIS II rail is a battle proven rail.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Larry Vickers beat the tar out of a BCM KMR in a video and then shot it, does that count?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I know non free float hg do well, I'm not looking for a shtf free float I just thought it would be a good thing to do to see what ones bend really easy as opposed to higher end durable ones

like what a free float would do if dropped from 5-10 feet.... etc.... ooh,, also maybe what temps they get to after firing x amount of rounds etc
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Larry Vickers beat the tar out of a BCM KMR in a video and then shot it, does that count?
View Quote

Post vid?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
do a search youtube search for Daniel Defense torture test, all of their rails are free floated.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
good info, keep it coming..
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Midwest Industries

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Centurion:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d0OVH2lSko[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I wanna see a bcm kmr torture test!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Here ya go bro!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQ9JK17zYk[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Centurion:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Centurion:

Haha Intacto just for funsies
Quoted:
Here ya go bro!

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not a KMR
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not a KMR

no it isn't.  what rail is it?  Is this supposed to be a KMR thread now?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Probably because they'd fail.

To my knowledge, there is only one design of free-float handguard currently being purchased in quantity by the US military, and it is a chunky beast compared to the slim and sexy rails released in the last few years.

I'd love one of the newer rails, but after reading long-term durability threads, watching vids like the above, and asking a similar question in regards to maintaining zero on a handguard mounted front BUIS, I've come to the sad conclusion that a lot (maybe even all) of the high-end light & sexy rails being sold still aren't ready for prime time. Granted, I've purchased items that I knew ahead of time might not be fully idiot proof, but it seems to me that we're putting a lot of eggs in one basket when it comes to extended FF rails, and I'm skeptical that many of them are really up to the job.

BUT I WOULD LOVE TO BE PROVEN WRONG.

What I'd personally like to see is a torture test where an extended FF setup is repeatedly dropped (5 or so minimum) onto a concrete driveway from multiple directions without significantly shifting the front BUIS zero as compared to a non-free float.

Give me that in a slim, light & sexy package, and you got my money. Give me that in a detachable format and I'll buy two.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#18]
The Army tested 7 in 2010.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's hard to test consistently, and also, fucking expensive.

Furthermore, got talking to a mechanical engineer at a defense contractor and he pointed out there were different things to test... elasticity, rigidity, sheer points etc etc.

The design of the test itself would be a PITA and the costs required to execute it are prohibitive.  As a result, the best you'll find a generally informal durability tests: smack it hit it drop it tannerite it etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's hard to test consistently, and also, fucking expensive.

Furthermore, got talking to a mechanical engineer at a defense contractor and he pointed out there were different things to test... elasticity, rigidity, sheer points etc etc.

The design of the test itself would be a PITA and the costs required to execute it are prohibitive.  As a result, the best you'll find a generally informal durability tests: smack it hit it drop it tannerite it etc.

Simple test.  Ask them all to donate one rail to prove how tough it is compared to every other one.  Those few that are actually confident enough to give you one are the winners.  

Quoted:
no it isn't.  what rail is it?  Is this supposed to be a KMR thread now?

No.  You just happened to post "here you go" right after someone said that they wanted to see one on a KMR.  Just bad timing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#20]
There was a guy on M4forums (IIRC) that did some testing on barrel deflection after hanging a steady increasingly amount of weight was attached to the rail.
It was very informative, you may, or may not, be surprised at some who refused to donate one of their rails for the test.

I wasn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top