Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2015 8:44:22 AM EDT
In my quest to find an upper receiver that matches with my AXTS AX556 lower I went ahead and purchased an American Defense UIC upper to see what it looked like. I think that it matches well with the AX556 but the finish on it leaves a lot to be desired compared to the finish on the AX556 lower, anything CMT Tactical or pretty much any other billet upper receiver. I contacted ADM customer service about the poor finishing/anodizing and was told that this lack of finishing (in my opinion) is representative of all UIC upper receivers that are anodized. They even stated that cerakote would do a better job of hiding the machine marks. I might be a bit crazy but having to cerakote a brand new $200 receiver out of the box is unacceptable. I haven't decided if I'm going to return it or ask for a replacement but the finishing sucks and isn't what it should be for a billet upper. Anyway, here are the pictures:

UPDATE 7/14:

After a couple less than satisfying emails from ADM customer service I got one today that was very professional and informative from Sam C. They have been going thru a bit of growing pains in expanding into the AR market right now and the upper I received is not acceptable in their eyes. It was produced several months ago and slipped thru QC and they want it back. They are going to send out a replacement from a recent run and are positive it will meet current expectations as compared to others in the industry. Updated pictures to come once new UIC upper is received. I suspect it will be what I expected it to be when I placed my initial order a couple weeks ago.

UPDATE 10/14:

Sent another email to Sam C. on 10/5 to inquire the status of the new upper. I have not received a response yet. Not sure what to think at this point. 3 months and nothing.

UPDATE 10/23:

Replacement upper arrived out of the blue today. The finishing is much better and more inline with what a billet upper should be.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that sucks.  I just ordered one of these last week because they were on sale and the retail asking price of $265 is insane.

I am really disappointed to hear this.  For price they should be allot better.  I can not say that I am surprised though, ADM quality has always been second tier imo.

I was in the same boat as you.  The AX556 does not mate well with any upper available and the UIC looked like it was made to fill this roll.  I have not seen AXTS's equal when it comes to finish but I had hoped that the ADM UIC upper wouldn't be so far off that it looked out of place on the lower.

I also have a Geissele MK8 rail I was going to use with this build and the finish on that rail is about as good as they get as well.

I guess I will have to look into options to improve the ADM UIC upper's finish.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe you will get lucky and get one that's better than mine. Throw some pictures up once you get it if you don't mind.

The only solution is to have it cerakoted black but who in their right mind would do that? Might as well do a solid colored build and have the upper, lower and handguard all coated in something that isn't black or camo it.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#3]
its not a show piece....
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe you will get lucky and get one that's better than mine. Throw some pictures up once you get it if you don't mind.

The only solution is to have it cerakoted black but who in their right mind would do that? Might as well do a solid colored build and have the upper, lower and handguard all coated in something that isn't black or camo it.

View Quote

This may be the reason why 90% of the online photos of this rifle have custom camo.

Depending on how bad mine looks I might just have it cerakoted black.

Does anyone know what coating AXTS uses on the lower?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Chances of two pieces matching perfectly together is very slim unless they came from the same batch.
Factor in different manufacturers and forget about matching completely.

Get it cerakoted if you want them to batch.
Also that's some pretty shitty machining on that upper.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Chances of two pieces matching perfectly together is very slim unless they came from the same batch.
Factor in different manufacturers and forget about matching completely.

Get it cerakoted if you want them to batch.
Also that's some pretty shitty machining on that upper.
View Quote
I should clairify that the issue is with the machining underneath the anodizing rather than the anodizing itself. The color match is as good as it can get with parts from different manufacturers.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
How is the fit between the two?

I know the AX556 lower has that self tensioning piston but is there much of a gap or any other fit issues between the two?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know the AX556 lower has that self tensioning piston but is there much of a gap or any other fit issues between the two?
View Quote
I'm satisfied with the fit and dimensions between the two it's just the pathetic excuse for post-machining cleanup that takes away from it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm satisfied with the fit and dimensions between the two it's just the pathetic excuse for post-machining cleanup that takes away from it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, some of those pics look pretty disturbing for the price.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
its not a show piece....
View Quote

No kidding, just shoot it
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
its not a show piece....

To some people billet uppers and lowers are show pieces. I'm all for shooting the shit out of it but I want it to be right beforehand.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Machining looks like shit. Send it back and get a Vltor or a Mega billet. And for that price they should be ashamed of themselves #invisiblehand
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Throw it at some you will fill better
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I say for a $200 receiver ask for a better replacement, you did pay for a quality piece after all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#15]
OP is updated. ADM is going to attempt to rectify the issue.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is good news.

I will post some pics of mine when it arrives.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sam is a great guy. He'll take care of you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
its not a show piece....

This isn't a $40 upper from PSA.
I'd be pissed with the shitty machining too if I paid that amount.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my impression.

The upper is on its way back today.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#20]
The machining issues do not appear to be an isolated incident.

My iPhone doesn't show it as well as your beautiful pictures but the upper that ADM sent me looks exactly like yours.

I will be contacting them tomorrow about a return.

For contrast the picture below is of my Sun Devil billet upper.

Notice the lack of machining marks like most quality billet upper receivers in this price range.

I may wait on your replacement to see if the new one they send you is any better.  At this point i am extremely disappointed in ADM's quality control.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems like adm really shit the bed on this.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I purchased one of the Duty grade lowers and it's perfect. Looked at it at least 10 times and can't see a trace of a finish flaw anywhere. Machining is nice on it too. The other bronze colored upper/ lower set I also purchased ..... the lower is again perfect. The upper has a little questionable looking machining around that hump as pictured above but not nearly as bad as the pics posted. Cerakote may be helping  hide the most of it.  But, on my upper the ADM eagle stamp on rear top of receiver is so light and faint I didn't think it had one at first. You have to take it outside and angle it just right and even then there is only about 2/3 of that stamp faintly visible. Not very pleased with that stamp.  Hate to send the upper back because it does fit the lower perfectly, on the tight side actually. Beginning to think these are culls they are selling separately. They aren't priced like a second. I read somewhere that their complete guns are going to be "perfect". BTW .... anyone considering their bronze color be aware that it is MUCH darker than shown on their site. More like a dark LWRC MRE or that real dark earth color on a Elcan. Shadow bronze maybe. It's not even close to most burnt bronze you see but they don't don't call it "burnt" either.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I purchased one of the Duty grade lowers and it's perfect. Looked at it at least 10 times and can't see a trace of a finish flaw anywhere. Machining is nice on it too. The other bronze colored upper/ lower set I also purchased ..... the lower is again perfect. The upper has a little questionable looking machining around that hump as pictured above but not nearly as bad as the pics posted. Cerakote may be helping  hide the most of it.  But, on my upper the ADM eagle stamp on rear top of receiver is so light and faint I didn't think it had one at first. You have to take it outside and angle it just right and even then there is only about 2/3 of that stamp faintly visible. Not very pleased with that stamp.  Hate to send the upper back because it does fit the lower perfectly, on the tight side actually. Beginning to think these are culls they are selling separately. They aren't priced like a second. I read somewhere that their complete guns are going to be "perfect". BTW .... anyone considering their bronze color be aware that it is MUCH darker than shown on their site. More like a dark LWRC MRE or that real dark earth color on a Elcan. Shadow bronze maybe. It's not even close to most burnt bronze you see but they don't don't call it "burnt" either.

View Quote

I bet that if they don't correct the quality problem on these uppers real fast and make it right with those who received substandard pieces that they will not sell too many rifles at all.

The stamp on the top of mine is more visible than I care for.  I could do without it frankly and if I have to have this upper machined myself to correct the flaws then I will probably have it filled before re-coating.

The fit with my AX556 lower is beyond tight.  I had to bang the rear takedown out with a punch to remove the upper.

Of the 5 uppers that I have purchased this is by far the most disappointing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm still deciding what to do with the upper. Have not brought it to their attention yet.That stamp bugs me the way it is. Either stamp it or leave it off. Light ass partial stamp looks like some kind of flaw if you didn't know what it is supposed to be. Looking at the photos again I forgot that my upper also has that "router mark" groove thing on the left side on the angled flat. Looks like the cutter was set just a hair too low. Exactly like the one pictured. Not sure if that's supposed to be like that, I doubt it because why would they? My pins fit ok but I have to really push the rear of the upper to get it in the lower. Then it's stuck. Have to turn it upside down and beat the underside of the forward assist with my hand to get it back out. Won't be that hard when the gun is assembled but it's tight.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#25]
For those of you complaining about the quality on your uppers, have you contacted ADM about obtaining a replacement? I know Sam helped me out when I had an issue with one of their products a few months ago and was a real pleasure to deal with. His number one priority was to make the situation right (which he did).

Maybe try emailing him directly? His email is [email protected].

I'd also be curious to know what ADM has told the OP in relation to his email to them. These threads always bother me, as people rarely post the company's response thus leaving the rest of us in the dark as to whether they are being taken care of or not.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For those of you complaining about the quality on your uppers, have you contacted ADM about obtaining a replacement? I know Sam helped me out when I had an issue with one of their products a few months ago and was a real pleasure to deal with. His number one priority was to make the situation right (which he did).

I'd also be curious to know what ADM has told the OP in relation to his email to them. These threads always bother me, as people rarely post the company's response thus leaving the rest of us in the dark as to whether they are being taken care of or not.
View Quote

I emailed Sam today.  I will follow up on this thread with his response.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you'll notice in my OP I put an update up a couple days ago. Sam is taking care of me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you'll notice in my OP I put an update up a couple days ago. Sam is taking care of me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. Curious to know what others are experiencing. Thanks for updating the OP OPer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#30]
That is really disappointing, I have thier lower and it was perfect.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#31]
UPDATE

Sam from ADM emailed me back today.  He seems like a really good guy who intends to make things right.  I am going to return the upper I received from them and will report back on the quality of the replacement once it arrives.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Sam from ADM emailed me back today.  He seems like a really good guy who intends to make things right.  I am going to return the upper I received from them and will report back on the quality of the replacement once it arrives.
View Quote

Are they offering to replace it for you?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPDATE

I would say so since he says as much here.

I am also waiting on the new batch to get back from anodizing and will post new pictures of the new product once it arrives.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am also waiting on the new batch to get back from anodizing and will post new pictures of the new product once it arrives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPDATE

Yea, that was a silly question in retrospect.

I look forward to seeing the new pictures!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Been over a month now and still no replacement UIC upper receiver. Have almost all of the other parts for my first SBR build. Would be nice to assemble what I have so far.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Welp based on this thread I can scratch ADM off my list for anything other than mounts purchased through a 3rd party.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Got a quick response from Sam and he said that the new batch is due back from anodizing in 1-2 weeks. Hopefully this holds true.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Got a quick response from Sam and he said that the new batch is due back from anodizing in 1-2 weeks. Hopefully this holds true.
View Quote

I emailed Sam on 8/14 requesting an ETA on the replacement UIC upper and never got a response from him.  I will send another email today since I have gotten a few messages from members asking if this has been resolved yet.  Hopefully I get a response this time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well here we are 5+ weeks later and still nothing from ADM. Still have a box of parts awaiting an upper receiver to assemble for first SBR. :(
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#40]
That's really too bad. ADM seemed like a great company. Their scope mounts are certainly tier one and as good as my bobros. I love that upper reliever you've got, but the imperfections on it are a huge deal breaker. Not to mention awful CS.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I ordered one last month in grey and I got it pretty quick. I wonder what's going on with yours?

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I ordered one last month in grey and I got it pretty quick. I wonder what's going on with yours?

<a href="http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Lo_Die/media/ADM_Rifle_zpsex8zb0yr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s669/Lo_Die/ADM_Rifle_zpsex8zb0yr.jpg</a>
View Quote
Nice build you have there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Lo_Die/media/ADM_Rifle_zpsex8zb0yr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s669/Lo_Die/ADM_Rifle_zpsex8zb0yr.jpg</a>

Thanks! It's my Franken-build
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#44]
No response from Sam this time around after a week. Not sure what to think at this point. 3 months and nothing.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Since this got updated, I looked at the pictures again, I would have put that thing together and went and shot it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Since this got updated, I looked at the pictures again, I would have put that thing together and went and shot it.
View Quote
I hear you......but for the asking price one shouldn't have to settle for a poorly machined part. This upper is going on a AXTS Billet lower, not a forged lower.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Another week gone by for a total of two weeks since the last inquiry and still no response.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Another week gone by for a total of two weeks since the last inquiry and still no response.
View Quote
Chargeback

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Chargeback  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chargeback  
I already got a refund when I returned the OG one. Sam than told me that he would send me a new one once they got them in......that was in July.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Yesterday was the day... new upper arrived out of the blue and the machining and finish are perfect. It appears that ADM is starting to get things in line over there.

Pictures:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top