Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2015 1:38:48 AM EDT
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZOQNyqi3hQOK3mNcTxoNFsHY9_42man44XdebTaPQ9Q/pubhtml

Rifle weight:

8.25lb

Rifle weight, just Troy tritium BUIS, no scope:

7lb, about the weight of a stock 6920 (where I have a CTR, 12" Mlok rail, TLR2 light, AFG, Trifecta muzzle brake)

Adjustable gas block added:

Able to remove buffer weights
3.05oz
Voodoo Low mass BCG
2.37oz

5.42oz reciprocating mass removed

Scope mount

Bobro 30mm mount to Aero Ultralight 30mm:

4.23oz Removed

Magpul MS4 Sling vs MS2 + 3x QD Swivles (And BCM QDSM)

3.5oz savings

Streamlight TLR-2s to Streamlight TLR4

Was able to buy the TLR4 + pocket $120 from selling the 2s. I liked the strobe function, but prefer the weight savings. Yes.. I love lasers on my guns.

Saved 1.91oz at the end of my gun

Some other stuff on my list I should have not gotten in the first place, like:

Voodoo 16" barrel (38oz, they told me it was 32oz..). Saved 7oz
Magpul ACS-L (Got it 3 years ago when I didn't worry about weight) Saved 3.7oz

After these weight savings, my rifle feels so much better. It makes me want to move forward in saving more weight where I can. But I don't think I will for a while, I feel like i'm at the point of diminishing returns (titanium small parts, fluted aluminium, etc).

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditch the CTR. It's useless weight. That's costing you big time. Get yourself a MFT minimalist stock. As far as the rest.. it's by no means a light weight set up. That's an average (if not on the heavier side) AR 15. There are better options out there for saving weight.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:44:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is not a good place to be removing weight unless you aren't concerned at all about reliability in adverse conditions.

That's fine if you are doing 3 gun stuff with it but there is no free lunch when you are screwing with the reciprocating mass, that mass helps the action overcome internal and external fouling and gummed lubricants. ESPECIALLY IF YOU PLAN ON RUNNING THIS RIFLE SUPPRESSED!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adjustable gas block added:

Able to remove buffer weights
3.05oz
Voodoo Low mass BCG
2.37oz

5.42oz reciprocating mass removed

That is not a good place to be removing weight unless you aren't concerned at all about reliability in adverse conditions.

That's fine if you are doing 3 gun stuff with it but there is no free lunch when you are screwing with the reciprocating mass, that mass helps the action overcome internal and external fouling and gummed lubricants. ESPECIALLY IF YOU PLAN ON RUNNING THIS RIFLE SUPPRESSED!!!!

I have the Govnah set for suppressed and suppressed with the rifle being really dirty. In 3000 rounds, I've never had an issue at all. I clean about every 700-1k rounds, as I always have before.

Quoted:
Ditch the CTR. It's useless weight. That's costing you big time. Get yourself a MFT minimalist stock. As far as the rest.. it's by no means a light weight set up. That's an average (if not on the heavier side) AR 15. There are better options out there for saving weight.

Yep, I'm not going to a super lightweight setup. Just posting how I saved weight. If I was a fat dude and said I lost weight, I'm not saying I'm skinny lol.

Didn't want a thin barrel or anything. Something accurate and can take strings of fire. I do 3gun every now and then.

Ehh, 2oz costing me big time on the stock? I'll keep the CTR. I love it. Nice OD green blend.

I'm not going for one of those sub 5lb AR's. Also, before anyone asks: I have an astigmatism. Red dots look like comets some times. If I didn't, I would lower 1/3 co-witness a red dot with a light weight mount on this really quick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top