Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 7:46:24 PM EDT
I'm looking to update two spikes magpul handguard dissipators and a 13" troy alpha rail on my scoped rifle with MLOK rails. I'm looking for light weight and the 12"  ALG EMR MLOK and MWI 12" lightweight MLOK handguard has come into my radar for replacements. Both are inexpensive and light but both have a proprietary barrel nut. I don't need a top rail for my dissipator uppers. The ALG is way cheaper and a bit heavier.

Does anybody have any experience with these rails or any other MLOK rails? I'm interested on which has a robust anti rotation to prevent the handguard from moving.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking to update two spikes magpul handguard dissipators and a 13" troy alpha rail on my scoped rifle with MLOK rails. I'm looking for light weight and the 12"  ALG EMR MLOK and MWI 12" lightweight MLOK handguard has come into my radar for replacements. Both are inexpensive and light but both have a proprietary barrel nut. I don't need a top rail for my dissipator uppers. The ALG is way cheaper and a bit heavier.

Does anybody have any experience with these rails or any other MLOK rails? I'm interested on which has a robust anti rotation to prevent the handguard from moving.
View Quote

I love my Guntec rails. I have one on my 4.5" suppressed .22 and 14.5" AR-15. That's a 7" rail and 15" rail

They're super thin and light at an excellent price. They're as thin as you're gonna get. 1.49" OD and 1.375 ID.

9.1oz for a 12"
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The AGL has tabs that extend out on both sides of the upper that would prevent rotation.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love my Guntec rails. I have one on my 4.5" suppressed .22 and 14.5" AR-15. That's a 7" rail and 15" rail

They're super thin and light at an excellent price. They're as thin as you're gonna get. 1.49" OD and 1.375 ID.

9.1oz for a 12"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9.1oz for a 12"

Man those are dirt cheap. Almost too good to be true kind of pricing. I'll probably just get the ALG but the MWI looks a little better.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Man those are dirt cheap. Almost too good to be true kind of pricing. I'll probably just get the ALG but the MWI looks a little better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9.1oz for a 12"

Here is my mini review

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/676235_Guntec_UAG_7_M_LOK_Rail_mini_review___80_.html
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody try the fortis rev 12" mlok?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got my eye on a Fortis Rev 2 for my next build.  I like the looks, lightweight,  and the fact it uses a regular mil spec barrel nut.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got my eye on a Fortis Rev 2 for my next build.  I like the looks, lightweight,  and the fact it uses a regular mil spec barrel nut.
View Quote

Why does having a milspec barrel nut matter?  Just curious.  The typical proprietary nut from most manufacturers is larger, more robust, and provides a much more rigid and strong way to mount the rail.  All, to my knowledge, come with a special wrench at no ectra cost for attachment.   Why use something that is a compromise?  The standard barrel nut was not designed to support a rail.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 15" Emr v2 and love it. Feels great in hand, not heavy at all. The barrel nut is solid and installation was easy. Highly recommend one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#9]
We went with the MI lightweight on my son's 20" PSA build.  I love it, light, solid, priced right.  The kid, not so much, because he want's an A4 clone.  I liked it so much, I put a regular MI on a 16" mid length I built up.  I even replaced the RISII on my DD MK18 upper, with an MI.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why does having a milspec barrel nut matter?  Just curious.  The typical proprietary nut from most manufacturers is larger, more robust, and provides a much more rigid and strong way to mount the rail.  All, to my knowledge, come with a special wrench at no ectra cost for attachment.   Why use something that is a compromise?  The standard barrel nut was not designed to support a rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reasons I like the standard barrel nut rails, is due to a 14.5 pinned. I'm limited with one upper I have due to that.

But I got it before the proprietary rails became so popular.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top