Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2015 9:20:28 PM EDT

This used to be my old 7" rail on my 4.5" .22 AR with SilencerCo Spectre 2. It was big and heavy. I wanted to switch to M-LOK but didn't want to drop too much money on a .22..

A month ago, I was doing a budget build for my friend. I looked on Ebay and got him a 12" Keymod rail by UAG. When I got his in, I was surprised to see that it was the same thinness of my Strike Industries Mega fins Keymod and it was such a low price! I started seeing M-LOK versions pop up and did more research. They seem to be sold by Guntec and Ultimate Arms Gear. I bought a 7" for my .22 and a 15" for my rifle length AR-15.

I do not have pictures of packaging, but it came in a Medium flat rate box, when they could have shipped in a small box with USPS because it's so light. Guntec lists it as 6.5oz with barrel nut.

Uncluded were:

The rail
barrel nut in the rail
6 Torx screws
~5 thin barrel nut shims, same sizes

The barrel nut has flats for use of an crescent wrench. I like this a lot better than using a barrel nut tool because can get some good leverage on it and everyone has an adjustable crescent wrench

I had to dremel down the Magpul M-LOK AFG screws from .53" to .43" for use with the .22 suppressor. I guess they didn't plan on rails being this thin :P.

The rail is mounted by 6 screws at the 3, 6 and 9 o clock positions.

Specss:

1.35" internal diameter
6.5 oz with barrel nut
Black anodized, smooth finish
6 torx screws for mounting

Over all.. This is the closest to what I want in a rail:

Great price
M-LOK
Low weight
Good venting
Many sizes

If I could have asked the makers of the rail for some things, it would be:

-Have M-LOK on all 7 sides just like Strike Industries does it (with Keymod)
-Have lower profile screws/mounting

Honestly, I never use all 7 sizes, but I like the option/looks. Especially for light mounts for red dots at 45 degrees as well as M-LOK color covers to get the whole rail looking a different color.
As for the screws, they don't bother me that much.

Conclusion:

It's an awesome rail at a low price. They have 4, 7, 9, 10, 12 and 15" rails available now. Awesome rail to get into the M-LOK goodness while being very thin and very light.

ETA:

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I almost went with this rail on my latest build, found a site where the 15" was about 85 bucks.

What turned me away was the mounting nut to handguard interface. Read several places that the holes are oversized in the handguard to help with alignment ease, but then you are relying on only bolt torque to keep everything locked up, which I don't like.

I ended up going ALG, but still think this is otherwise a good setup.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I almost went with this rail on my latest build, found a site where the 15" was about 85 bucks.

What turned me away was the mounting nut to handguard interface. Read several places that the holes are oversized in the handguard to help with alignment ease, but then you are relying on only bolt torque to keep everything locked up, which I don't like.

I ended up going ALG, but still think this is otherwise a good setup.
View Quote

True that. I put some good torque on them plus locktite. I suppose rockset would be good too. They could have easily machined a better mounting solution but at that price, I'm happy :P.

Also, where did you find the 15" for $85? I paid $120 for my 15" :P
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Holy crap, I could have saved $45 on the 15" and 7" I bought!

That's an amazing price. I just installed the 15" on my 16" AR. It looks sick with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's an amazing price. I just installed the 15" on my 16" AR. It looks sick with a suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have the 7 in keymod rail. Looks good but it does not appear to have proper relief cuts to actually attach crap to it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have the 7 in keymod rail. Looks good but it does not appear to have proper relief cuts to actually attach crap to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MLOK version is G2G here. It fit everything I wanted.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting..
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a note to anyone installing, it is best to line up the bottoms rail holes with the screw holes underneath. Rather than trying to line up the left and right sides.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Somehow I don't think Guntec is made in USA
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Guntec rail I have on my 300 BLK pistol.  The finish is probably not as good as some other brands but the function is great.   So far, so good and I will buy more of these for the price.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Somehow I don't think Guntec is made in USA
View Quote

They say they make their stuff in Scottsdales, AZ
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:27:18 AM EDT
[#12]
They look very familiar to the Noveske NSR

As well as the new EraThr3 M-LOK Handguards

Very similar weights too. But all at under $100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top