Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2015 5:45:09 PM EDT
So I'm planning out a rifle-length 6.8 SPC build, and been cruising MidwayUSA to get a feel for what parts are out there and what they cost. And I see a lot of the same names over most categories: DPMS, Colt, Yankee Hill Machine, Del-Ton, Wilson Combat, etc. How important is the manufacturer of these parts? Stuff like springs, detents, roll pins, bolt carrier, forward assist, selectors, barrel nut, etc. Sometimes there is a pretty major price difference but DPMS is almost universally the cheapest.

Are they all good to go? What are the differences? Any brands I should avoid?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
.....Stuff like springs, detents, roll pins, bolt carrier, forward assist, selectors, barrel nut, etc. Sometimes there is a pretty major price difference but .
View Quote

springs, detents, roll pins, are not a big deal.

...but

The heart of an AR rifle is the barrel, and bolt/carrier.

I don't skimp on those.

nor the trigger.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen several examples of springs and detents that were not spec, but they came in kits so I don’t know the actual source.
The bad ones were relatively easy to spot especially alongside good parts.
I would never argue against sticking with the good names.
From personal experience I can tell you Midway’s product descriptions are not always correct and their shipping department does not know the difference either.
Brownell’s recently shipped me a mislabeled FF Rail, but they immediately cross shipped the correct part.
The moral of the story is anyone can screw up so know what you are buying and check it out to be sure as you can it is in spec.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I would feel comfortable using DPMS parts in any build- the small parts, that is, pins, springs, etc. I've used a bunch of their small parts; Yankee Hill small parts are good to go as well, and are sometimes the same or cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
How are PSA parts?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Short answer to OP title question:  Yes, there are differences in quality on component parts.

As to which ones, comparisons of particular manufacturers and vendors for specific parts must be made.  There is no general rule.  In some instances there is no quality difference,  In others, it can be quite dramatic.

DPMS is now out of business and vendors are dumping their inventory.  Even so, for small parts they are of decent quality.  But if you have a problem, DPMS is not there to honor a claim and I doubt that Freedom Group, which acquired it and then shut it down, will offer any support.   That would probably not stop me on small parts, though.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, if DPMS is going under I guess I shouldn't buy one of their bolt carriers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
DPMS had bad bolt catches a few years ago...too short to lock open with an empty pmag

...first I've heard of them going out of business

I've always thought of DPMS as the crysler k-car of AR15's
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny, their web site appears to have them relocated but operating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top