Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2015 7:23:34 PM EDT
I picked up a Wilson barrel from JSE for $210.  1:8 midlength. 18".  416ss heavy fluted .223 wylde.  I have tried multiple types of ammo, Partizan match 69 and 75, Hornady TAP, Winchester 69 match kings, hand loads.  Stuff that would normally yield some pretty tight groups.  I have heard great things about Wilson barrels.  I put a 6.5G JP supermatch on a buddies upper(made by Wilson, but certainly not their $210 model.  

So my point is off a bag, out of a lead sled, both me and my buddy are getting 1.5" groups at 100yds with 2 different optics at best so far.  Yes they(optics) were tight.  The better optic was a Nikon prostaff 5 4-14x?  We are not slouches behind the trigger.  Should I be happy?  Should I expect more?  I have no idea what to expect, my first venture with a Wilson SS barrel.  

We shot prone in an open field he has set up as an up to 300 range.  We were inches off the ground.  

Feedback from those with Wilson experience appreciated.  No gripe session here, just wondering if this is typical for this Wilson barrel, or should I drink the Wilson kool aid of sub MOA over the years posted in here.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi Lug1 i have a wilson barrel too its a 16" heavy profile midlength stainless 1:9 twist.  I am getting groups about 1" at 100 yards with XM193 however with XM855 ive shot they yeild around a 3" group on average i do realize yours is an 18" and a 1:8 twist but im a happy person with 3"under groups because of the human body size its sufficent for me
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hi Lug1 i have a wilson barrel too its a 16" heavy profile midlength stainless 1:9 twist.  I am getting groups about 1" at 100 yards with XM193 however with XM855 ive shot they yeild around a 3" group on average i do realize yours is an 18" and a 1:8 twist but im a happy person with 3"under groups because of the human body size its sufficent for me
View Quote
Crazy outstanding group with 193, what brand is the box under?   Lake city, other?  I've never gotten 1moa with 193. Again outstanding.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate to break it to you, but I think you got what you paid for.

Creating the blank is only one part of the barrel making process. You still have to contour it, chamber it, attach the barrel extension, and drill the gas port. Any one of those operations can cause a perfect blank to shoot worse than what you're seeing. Do you know if it was Wilson Arms or JSE or some third party that did the barrel work? I would venture to guess that WOA, CLE, JP rifles (all of which use Wilson blanks) may put a little more into effort an consistency into barrel turning/finishing operations than some other shops. Even though they start with the same blanks, their considerable upcharge is not just for their name.

It could be worse, I got a Lilja barrel that shot like horse shit. A borescope found no issues and the barrel actually put out extremely consistent velocities. Lilja and I both suspect there was an issue with the barrel extension, whether it was the extension itself or off-center installation I do not know. But the rifling and the barrel itself looked perfect. This is just an example of how important finish operations are to accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate to break it to you, but I think you got what you paid for.

Creating the blank is only one part of the barrel making process. You still have to contour it, chamber it, attach the barrel extension, and drill the gas port. Any one of those operations can cause a perfect blank to shoot worse than what you're seeing. Do you know if it was Wilson Arms or JSE or some third party that did the barrel work? I would venture to guess that WOA, CLE, JP rifles (all of which use Wilson blanks) may put a little more into effort an consistency into barrel turning/finishing operations than some other shops. Even though they start with the same blanks, their considerable upcharge is not just for their name.

It could be worse, I got a Lilja barrel that shot like horse shit. A borescope found no issues and the barrel actually put out extremely consistent velocities. Lilja and I both suspect there was an issue with the barrel extension, whether it was the extension itself or off-center installation I do not know. But the rifling and the barrel itself looked perfect. This is just an example of how important finish operations are to accuracy.
View Quote
Yea I know.  I was asking those with experience with these barrels specifically.  At least I thought I worded it that way. I am very much aware of the processes that go into barrel making.  I know the JP barrels are cryo'd. Don't know if that really helps or not.   I have heard Wilson's in general do very well. 1.5" ain't bad.  I was just curious.

Oh and it is stamped Wilson.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Try lighter bullets. Mine likes Black Hills blue box 55gr SP and Hornady of the same flavor. I get sub MOA. I tried black hills 68gr hollow points and the groups opened up to an inch and half or more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top