Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2015 6:49:02 PM EDT
Tried searching and all I found was about just lowers.

I have an opportunity to get a great deal on a complete Anderson rifle. I've copied the owner's description (from elsewhere) below. But I don't know much nor have I heard much about the company.

Some brief research has me concerned about the fact the barrels aren't chrome lined per their website (though he states it is, I haven't gotten confirmation from him if the barrel is original or another manufacturer). I own an ACR, so I know there's other options for barrel linings.

I find their RF85 no lube thing interesting, but really, I've never felt a need to NOT use lube on my rifles either, so it's not a HUGE selling point. I am also interested in the 1/8 twist thing. I use my 12 ga. for home defense so I don't really need the 1/7 for heavy rounds, but I do dislike the 1/9 in my ACR.

So I guess my main questions are how durable/reliable are they? What's the quality of the barrel like? I've read the lowers are good to go so not concerned about that. Mostly just wondering about the barrel, upper, etc.

Here's his description: (pics are included in the ad but I'll just leave it at this for now) His price and such are omitted but if you guys can help me decide I will disclose the deal we are talking about more. For now I just want to know basically if Anderson rifles are good to go.

"Excellent condition Anderson Manufacturing AR15 up for sale or trade. Under 100 rounds through the rifle and special features include a 16" chrome lined 1/8 twist 5.56 barrel with M4 feed ramps, forged aluminum lower, Omega 15" keymod rail system with two removable 4" picatinny rail sections, Odin Works low pro gas block, Hogue pistol grip, Magpul trigger guard, Magpul collapsible buttstock, extended charging handle latch, Yankee Hill flash hider and full auto bolt carrier group."
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an Andy Upper receiver that's real picky on what kind of barrel  extension get's shoved in it. To the point a BCG won't fully close.
Finally I found a PSA Premium 16" carbine barrel that agrees with it.
I have 2 Andy lowers that don't like to drop free PMags
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Well one would imagine the Anderson barrels/uppers are matched up and checked somewhat thoroughly.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well one would imagine the Anderson barrels/uppers are matched up and checked somewhat thoroughly.....
View Quote

Well you asked , I told.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have an Andy Upper receiver that's real picky on what kind of barrel  extension get's shoved in it. To the point a BCG won't fully close.

View Quote
I have 2 in the safe I can't bring myself to build on them, neither will drop a pmag free, and  the roll mark is hideous

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Sandpaper will fix the PMag issue and the rollmark doesn't bother me. yet anyway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
So far, I've used 4 Anderson lowers and 3 of their (stripped) uppers with zero issues. All the builds came out beautiful. I can't comment on their barrels as I've never used one. The RF85 only comes on their complete rifles, so I have no experience with that treatment either.
All my Anderson lowers drop Pmags (gen 2 and 3) without issue.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, the guy tells me the barrel IS chromed, but Anderson's website states they aren't. Guy tells me maybe in the early days of the company they were sourcing their barrels from elsewhere but he isn't sure. Peculiar. I will have to take a look at it I suppose since no one yet has any experience to share with their barrels but the rest sounds decent enough...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
i got an Anderson lower and GI mags drop with no issues but when i use a PMAG gen 2 and i have to pull it out wont drop even if i shake it pretty hard.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Chrome lining is rapidly becoming less of an issue on my list of preferred barrel options.

Cute pictures on the side of the receiver have never entered into the equation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies gents, dude backed out of the deal this morning. The search continues.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
PSA has free shipping this weekend but little selection at the moment
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I've worked on several Anderson products, uppers and lowers. Only one had a problem. The flat side of a pivot pin interfered with the detent rib on the lower when in the closed position. A few swipes of a file on the lower and the problem solved.

I just purchased another Anderson upper for a 14.5", 300 BLK build.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My first build was with an Anderson stripped lower and that worked out perfectly.  I have about 1500 rds through that rifle now and no issues.  No problems dropping any mags free(Pmag  Gen II & III, Lancers, d&h, Okay).
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i got an Anderson lower and GI mags drop with no issues but when i use a PMAG gen 2 and i have to pull it out wont drop even if i shake it pretty hard.
View Quote

+1 (also my lancers drop with zero problem)
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+2 (D+H, Pmag 2/3, Lancer L5AWM, ETS, ALL drop free in ALL of my, now 6, Anderson lowers).
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are looking for a screaming deal on a rifle, you can build a complete rifle for under $500 shipped.  I have yet to see a used rifle sell for less than what I can build one for.  It has come to the point for me that if I want another AR, I just build it, as the used rifle prices are above retail of the parts.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have 2 in the safe I can't bring myself to build on them, neither will drop a pmag free, and  the roll mark is hideous  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

With all the memorial day sales, I did order parts for a pistol build so I guess we will see how one of them works

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#18]
AIM Surplus has an Anderson matched upper/lower set for $80 right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top