Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2015 1:16:31 PM EDT
Has anyone ever attached enough numerous heavy (but still practical!) accessories to a slim keymod or modular rail (like Noveske, BCM, Midwest, etc.) to actually cause it to bend or deform?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What exactly would you think is going to bend? Having a light and a front grip of some kind should never cause a rail to bend, if it does you need to take it back. If this isn't what you are referring to maybe you can explain further in more detail.      

NCH
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Many times the slim rails are broken because someone inappropriately installed them.  Too much torque is common, parts crack, etc.

But on their own, they are very durable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't feed the troll.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
No.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
So rails won't sag under the weight of a 16oz bipod and mount, 9 oz IR light and mount, and 20oz scope and mount?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
A rail will flex under enough pressure. That's the point. It moves, the barrel doesn't.

If you put a scope on the rail, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]

BCM initially planned on using a truss design but didn't want to look too German.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A rail will flex under enough pressure. That's the point. It moves, the barrel doesn't.

If you put a scope on the rail, you're doing it wrong.
View Quote

I was thinking more for NODs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Due to the lack of positive responses, I'm fairly sure that rails will remain intact for regular use unless you plan on mounting a Spike's Tactical 37mm and a Picatinny chainsaw off to the side.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I mounted a barbell with 4 plates to the end of my KMR incase I ever need to hit some clean and press during a firefight.

WTF is up with these threads lately?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:11:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Light rails have less material. It seems reasonable to ask if they are just as strong, and if anyone has tested them to verify it. It's very unfortunate that there is so much negativity toward the OP for asking a reasonable question.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So rails won't sag under the weight of a 16oz bipod and mount, 9 oz IR light and mount, and 20oz scope and mount?
View Quote

Why do you have a 20oz. scope and mount on your handguard?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Reminds me of the broken Daniel defense lower rail from the RIS II and a bipod.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, the bipod won't cause you any issue.
That said you should mount the scope to the upper receiver. If you need more eye relief get the correct cantaliever scope mount.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I mounted a barbell with 4 plates to the end of my KMR incase I ever need to hit some clean and press during a firefight.

WTF is up with these threads lately?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I suspect that most quality modular free float rails, whether Keymod, M-Lok or proprietary, will hold up well.  My concern would be with the attachment mechanism, rather than the rail itself.  Large, longer proprietary barrel nuts with multiple attachment points make sense.  So do anti-rotation tabs.   I'd not be worrying about flex as much as rotation or separation from the receiver because of the attachment method.

Sure, a rail can be made too thin and would be subject to flex or bending if made too thin and light.  I would think that the market would separate those out pretty quickly, given the abuse that some of us put our equipment to.  The issue would be a rail mounted folded front sight no longer being sighted in if the rail shifts, for whatever reason.   Impact of the rail with an object under stress would bother me more that a few things hanging on it. Since I have such a front sight, and wanted a modular free float rail, I went for more sturdy construction, big fat, multi-attachment proprietary barrel nut and tight fitting anti rotation tabs.  That was more important than saving a couple ounces over some of the "lightweights", although it is still ligher and more silm by far than the typical quad rail of the same length.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why are you mounting your scope to your rail?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top