Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2015 12:09:03 PM EDT
I am looking at getting this one (see picture below), but I wanted your opinion on how well it works for flash suprression...

OR should I go with it or the newer one offered by Gemtech (below)

Anyone have an opinion one way or another?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about that bottom thing, but the twisted 3 or 4 prong design is typically pretty efficient.

The Smith Vortex is similar and one of the best.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't need the lugs on the gemtech fh for a gemtech can, just stick with the smith fh as they make the flash hiders for gemtech. Good luck
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input!  

I am going to buy a Gemtech Quicksand, so I wanted to know if the Vortex version (top one) works well, or did Gemtech replace it with a new one for some reason.

I will stick with the top one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Vortex style works fine for flash suppression.  I have the Quicksand.  I have both the Vortex and Phantom styles of mounts.  One of my bolt action 300 Blackouts does prefer the Vortex...with the Phantom, the group size is increased, but not with the Vortex.  However, on other rifles, the style of mount doesn't seem to effect the group size.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Gemtech probably doesn't want to keep paying Smith for the Vortex. Guessing. I would get the Vortex version if flash suppression is a primary concern.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm running Vortexes on 11.5" and 14.5" guns. They work great, and I wish I hadn't sold the spare I had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top