Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 9:37:00 PM EDT
Alright guys, I bought a receiver set well over a year ago and have been slowly but surely plugging away at parts. I didn't dive into building my lower myself because I was honestly a bit uneasy about doing it myself.

A few nights ago I decided, screw it, and went ahead and oh how easy it was!

Now that I have my lower completed, I am wondering what size barrel to go with. I really have no opinion on the matter either way, although I have just been leaning in the direction of 18". Im looking into 18" for my first build because I just figure its a nice medium between 16 and 20.

Any input would be great. Money really isn't an issue with the barrel, but i DO NOT want low end parts going into this build.

thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
what do you want to do with the rifle?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Mostly just a range rifle with my buddies.

Occasional varmint hunting when I get out of state... (In NJ... Brutal I know)

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
For your intended uses, an 18" barrel makes sense. Checking out the offerings from BCM, Daniel Defense, and Knights Armament Corp is a great starting point for high quality complete uppers. That leads me to recommend a complete assembled upper, because it requires more tools, fixtures, and gauges to do it justice.

Your mentioning the desire to avoid budget parts has me curious of the components you chose for the lower.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Of course, here's my list that I have so far:

Billet receiver set from Rowe Tactical
Red Barn Armory Lower Parts Kit
Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip
BAD-ASS AMBI Safety Selector
Battle Arms Enhanced Takedown Pin set
Geissele SSA-E Trigger
Rock River Arms Forward Assist Kit
Spikes Tactical Buffer Tube Kit with T2 Buffer
Raptor Ambi Charging Handle
B5 Sopmod Stock
FailZero NiB BCG
Midwest Industries Gen2 SS 15" hand-guard

Haven't decided on barrel obviously so I haven't made gas block or tube purchases. Looking into which optics to buy as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Rainier Ultramatch 18" with an intermediate length gas system (its halfway between a middy and a rifle len gas.  Tubes are available direct from Noveske.

16" would be lighter, more manuverable and just as accurate at 100y, but the 18" aint bad and is a lot more balanced than a 20" HBAR for example.  The 18" is a bit better for energy downrange and marginally better wind performance at distance.  

If you only have one AR an 18" is a good choice.  Not that you cant do most jobs with a 16" or even 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course, here's my list that I have so far:

Billet receiver set from Rowe Tactical
Red Barn Armory Lower Parts Kit
Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip
BAD-ASS AMBI Safety Selector
Battle Arms Enhanced Takedown Pin set
Geissele SSA-E Trigger
Rock River Arms Forward Assist Kit
Spikes Tactical Buffer Tube Kit with T2 Buffer
Raptor Ambi Charging Handle
B5 Sopmod Stock
FailZero NiB BCG
Midwest Industries Gen2 SS 15" hand-guard

Haven't decided on barrel obviously so I haven't made gas block or tube purchases. Looking into which optics to buy as well.
View Quote

Alot of erosion complaints with aluminum gas blocks. So stray from those. Most free-floated handguards should clear most low-profile gas blocks.

Very nice selection of lower parts. I went with some of the same choices.

I went the 16" mid-length gas route with a focus on short to mid range, so i chose an Aimpoint micro H1 red dot site mounted on a Fortis F1. Together they weigh about 4.1 oz and take up minimal rail space. Exactly how far you want to reach will help narrow your optic choices to magnified or not. Good luck and most of us don't mind topless pics...... of the rifle. Haha
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet, thanks for all the input. I'll check out all the barrels suggested.

It really has been fun doing this even though it's been a long process. When I'm done I'm going to start a .308 build.

Is there a way to post the pics from my cell phone? I rarely check this on the computer!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Hopefully those worked??
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
" />
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out these guys for a good 18" barrel... http://www.ar15performance.com/home
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:40:56 AM EDT
[#12]
16 is a good do all length with ball ammo, but if your using good ammo it won't matter between the two imo.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 16, 18 &20's. I shoot the 16" way more than the others.

I say 16" first then branch out from there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:03:49 AM EDT
[#14]
This
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Recce-SS410-Barrel-with-Mid-Length-Gas-p/bcm-brl-ss410-16-8.htm

Or better yet, this
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Recce-SS410-Barrel-Mid-Length-Gas-IONBOND-p/bcm-brl-ss410-16-8-ib-bk.htm

The 1 in 8 twist is great for the range and for hunting with heavier bullets or lighter varmint rounds
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Just an update.... I ended up going with an 18" fluted stainless barrel from faxon firearms. 1-8 twist/5.56. This one didn't really break the bank at all and even though I wanted to spend a little more on a barrel, my buddy who owns his own shop around here puts them in all of his personal builds so I guess time will tell!

If anyone is curious here is the link!

http://www.faxonfirearms.com/p/106/18-556-ar-15-416-r-stainless-matte-heavy-fluted-mid-gas
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just an update.... I ended up going with an 18" fluted stainless barrel from faxon firearms. 1-8 twist/5.56. This one didn't really break the bank at all and even though I wanted to spend a little more on a barrel, my buddy who owns his own shop around here puts them in all of his personal builds so I guess time will tell!

If anyone is curious here is the link!

http://www.faxonfirearms.com/p/106/18-556-ar-15-416-r-stainless-matte-heavy-fluted-mid-gas
View Quote

Woohoo!

You got one of the last ones of the batch. LIkely sold out by this weekend.

Thanks for trusting us and know we will be here, anytime, for any issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top