Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 12:07:52 AM EDT
I have a 16" pencil barrel with a carbine gas port.  I'd prefer a mid-gas port, and I see that Adco will relocate the gas port for $35.

I realize the contour of barrel in the new port location has to be compatible with the gas block, i.e. 0.625" diameter.  But other than that it sounds like a reasonable concept.

Anyone ever done this?  Any down side?  Certainly a lot cheaper than a new barrel.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Certainly a lot cheaper than a new barrel.
View Quote

Not if you sell the one you have. That's the route I would take.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you feel the need to change the gas system length?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure, why not ? Adco will do a good job. As long as the barrel doesn't have to be contoured 35 bucks is more than reasonable and actually an excellent price.

Add the cost of contouring and it may not be as much of a price savings to make it worth your while.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a 16" pencil barrel with a carbine gas port.  I'd prefer a mid-gas port, and I see that Adco will relocate the gas port for $35.

I realize the contour of barrel in the new port location has to be compatible with the gas block, i.e. 0.625" diameter.  But other than that it sounds like a reasonable concept.

Anyone ever done this?  Any down side?  Certainly a lot cheaper than a new barrel.
View Quote

It might be cheaper, but when you start having problems with it, which I bet you will, you'll have a modded barrel that sucks and doesn't work that you spent money on trying to save money, and then you'll have to buy a new barrel, so there are those added costs as well.

Or you could sell your barrel, buy a new barrel, and KNOW FOR CERTAIN that the barrel you have will work.

You can do whatever you like, it's your rifle, but your plans aren't exactly the best plans.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It might be cheaper, but when you start having problems with it, which I bet you will, you'll have a modded barrel that sucks and doesn't work that you spent money on trying to save money, and then you'll have to buy a new barrel, so there are those added costs as well.

Or you could sell your barrel, buy a new barrel, and KNOW FOR CERTAIN that the barrel you have will work.

You can do whatever you like, it's your rifle, but your plans aren't exactly the best plans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What problems are you referring to ? Gas Port location or a shoddy modification?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#6]
It's going to cost more than $35.  They'll have to make a sleeve for the new gas port location since its under .625.  If it was 5 years ago, if say go for it.  Today, pencil barrels are a dime a dozen.  Sell your barrel and pick up a faxxon.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
just buy an adjustable gas block.

This is assuming the reason you want to make the change is because of over gassing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is assuming the reason you want to make the change is because of over gassing.
View Quote

The goal is to make it softer shooting.  So yes, I agree adjusting the gas is a good idea.  But there's a better way than an adjustable gas block.....  coming soon!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_493/259011_Lightweight_Patent_Pending_gas_adjustable_carrier.html

"Lightweight carrier, stripped with key, weight is 6.15oz Fully gas adjustable through the port door! No need for an adjustable gas block, or taking the gun apart to make an adjustment. "

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I would much rather sell the old barrel and buy exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would much rather sell the old barrel and buy exactly what you want.
View Quote

Well, it's not that easy because I'm in a restricted state.  What I have is a non-threaded pencil barrel.  I haven't seen anyone making them anymore.  Yes, I can buy anything I want in a threaded barrel, but then I'm required to pin and weld a muzzle device on it (even if the barrel itself is 16" or longer).  Not looking forward to being locked down to one rail system by that.  

There's also the issue of what muzzle device is legal here. Only brakes are allowed, flash hiders are illegal.  But there's really no such thing as a brake that doesn't also function as flash hider to some degree.  So you can never be 100% sure whether your setup is considered legal.  It's just a huge pain to get into threaded barrels in this state.  The only alternative to a muzzle device would be a thread protector pinned and welded. It's just so stupid.

Hence my desire to find a way to improve things using my existing barrel.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's going to cost more than $35.  They'll have to make a sleeve for the new gas port location since its under .625.  If it was 5 years ago, if say go for it.  Today, pencil barrels are a dime a dozen.  Sell your barrel and pick up a faxxon.
View Quote

Don't forget to add in the cost of shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The goal is to make it softer shooting.  So yes, I agree adjusting the gas is a good idea.  But there's a better way than an adjustable gas block.....  coming soon!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_493/259011_Lightweight_Patent_Pending_gas_adjustable_carrier.html

"Lightweight carrier, stripped with key, weight is 6.15oz Fully gas adjustable through the port door! No need for an adjustable gas block, or taking the gun apart to make an adjustment. "

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that is a great idea, gas regulation is a key component, and you can do it at the port or at the carrier, they both have merits(pros/cons, advantages/disadvantages), I wouldn't call one better(overall) than the other. but obviously there is no need for them both to be used on the same gun, or is there?

I'm a big fan of the LMT E carrier which vents more gas, your product seems to further expand on that by making it adjustable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]
18" midlength cut and crowned at 16" would be the best way to get what you want, likely not the cheapest though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top