Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2015 11:12:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with one (I'm not even sure that they're "out in the wild" yet).  Maybe RRA will get it right.  Polymer AR lowers generally haven't fared well when it comes to dimensions and durability (I haven't forgotten the Cavalry Arms lowers, but they aren't available anymore); even Colt dabbled with a polymer lower many moons ago before it was deemed not acceptable (it was never brought to market).  The stripped receiver price is nice for a rock River, but isn't that far off from the price for an aluminum one from one of several other sources.  If the quality is decent, the ultralight guys will be all over it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:37:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no experience with one (I'm not even sure that they're "out in the wild" yet).  Maybe RRA will get it right.  Polymer AR lowers generally haven't fared well when it comes to dimensions and durability (I haven't forgotten the Cavalry Arms lowers, but they aren't available anymore);
View Quote

GWACS Armory has been producing the CAV-15 MKII since 2012.  They acquired the molds and tooling when Cavalry Arms was broken up and sold.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  I have no experience with one (I'm not even sure that they're "out in the wild" yet).  Maybe RRA will get it right.  Polymer AR lowers generally haven't fared well when it comes to dimensions and durability (I haven't forgotten the Cavalry Arms lowers, but they aren't available anymore); even Colt dabbled with a polymer lower many moons ago before it was deemed not acceptable (it was never brought to market).  The stripped receiver price is nice for a rock River, but isn't that far off from the price for an aluminum one from one of several other sources.  If the quality is decent, the ultralight guys will be all over it.
View Quote

http://www.gwacsarmory.com/

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/603477_THE_IN_STOCK_LOWER_RECEIVER_THREAD_Part_2.html&page=371#i6573186

(Full disclosure - I built Trinity Ordnance's website.)

I've seen folks talking about picking up Anderson lowers for $38 - that's 7075 aluminum.  Plastic is good for lightweight, low cost (RR's are not), or ease in 80% milling.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/603477_THE_IN_STOCK_LOWER_RECEIVER_THREAD_Part_2.html&page=371#i6573186

I've seen folks talking about picking up Anderson lowers for $38 - that's 7075 aluminum.  Plastic is good for lightweight, low cost (RR's are not), or ease in 80% milling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I have no experience with one (I'm not even sure that they're "out in the wild" yet).  Maybe RRA will get it right.  Polymer AR lowers generally haven't fared well when it comes to dimensions and durability (I haven't forgotten the Cavalry Arms lowers, but they aren't available anymore); even Colt dabbled with a polymer lower many moons ago before it was deemed not acceptable (it was never brought to market).  The stripped receiver price is nice for a rock River, but isn't that far off from the price for an aluminum one from one of several other sources.  If the quality is decent, the ultralight guys will be all over it.

I am all for new materials and new ideas in the firearms but I really don't understand why anyone would want these. Like many have said, with metal lowers being so cheap...why bother with a plastic one?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I would avoid polymer lowers like the plague. When you can buy forged lowers for as little as $39.95, why waste your money on polymer? While some polymer lowers may be just fine, others have not fared so well. Buy forged and you will never regret it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am all for new materials and new ideas in the firearms but I really don't understand why anyone would want these. Like many have said, with metal lowers being so cheap...why bother with a plastic one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  http://www.gwacsarmory.com/

B/c the Cav Arms/Sabre Defense/GWACS lowers have the typical weak point of the receiver extension boss incorporated into the integral stock, and they're lighter than a typical aluminum/buffer tube/stock setup.  Pretty easy to go sub 6 w/ a GWACS receiver.  Also, the GWACS & prior makers are cut for M3 Grease Gun mags, which is handy for .45" ACP uppers.  And while you may be able to build a complete lower cheaper than a GWACS, check the In Stock thread I posted above.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

FYI:
http://www.slickguns.com/product/billet-lower-receiver-115
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  We've shipped several hundred in the past month.  haven't seen one break in testing or come back from a customer yet.
Steve/RRA
View Quote

Would a fall that breaks the receiver extension boss be unwarrantable under the careless handling exclusion in your limited lifetime warranty?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The issue here is weight, not price.
These are even lighter than Mag Tactical's lower.

Assuming the RRA lower is a well designed, quality product, it would be preferable to me.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  The issue here is weight, not price.

Assuming the RRA lower is a well designed, quality product, it would be preferable to me.
View Quote

Assembled w/ a stock & a receiver extension, can you get it under the weight of a GWACS?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We've shipped several hundred in the past month.  haven't seen one break in testing or come back from a customer yet.
Steve/RRA
View Quote

How much mileage do these customers put on these rifles.  For users who shoot on the weekend a box or two of ammo plastic may never be a problem.  For serious shooters people who probably shoot more than me and even comp\3gun shooters will these hold up?  What kind of testing was done?  I know my friend he Bushmaster carbon rifle the lower just broke a few weeks ago at the back where the receiver extension meets the lower and the upper meets the lower aft the take down pin.  Now he has a Bushmaster rifle with a PSA blem upper and Anderson lower.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  How much mileage do these customers put on these rifles.  For users who shoot on the weekend a box or two of ammo plastic may never be a problem.  For serious shooters people who probably shoot more than me and even comp\3gun shooters will these hold up?  What kind of testing was done?  I know my friend he Bushmaster carbon rifle the lower just broke a few weeks ago at the back where the receiver extension meets the lower and the upper meets the lower aft the take down pin.  Now he has a Bushmaster rifle with a PSA blem upper and Anderson lower.
View Quote

Would love pics of the damage.  Did it drop, or just break while firing?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I would personally never consider a polymer lower unless it was a dedicated .22lr build.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a "New Frontier Armory" lower unit and could not be more happy with it. When I bought it it was cheap compared to the standard metal ones. The rifle is extremely light (Carbine configuration: A1 upper with thin 16 in barrel) and has never given me a problem. The trigger is excellent. I do have several other ARs so it is not my only one, but I have faith in it enough that I leave it out as a house gun. If someone breaks in and takes it I can live with it more so than if they took one of my Colts. But I have to agree, with today's prices for lowers I would not have bought it over a metal one.

(One nice thing, don't have to worry about scratching it up). May become a dedicated 22lr, but for now it handles .556 just fine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I also would NEVER use one.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Assembled w/ a stock & a receiver extension, can you get it under the weight of a GWACS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The issue here is weight, not price.

Let's see.....

From the GWAC's FAQ:

How much does the GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII lower receiver weigh? A stripped lower which comes with pivot and takedown pins is 1 lb 5 oz. A fully populated CAV-15 with the trigger group, carbine buffer and buffer spring installed weighs in at only 1lb 12 oz.

So the stripped lower is 21oz, including takedown pins.
Compare that with:

ACE ARUL-E stock - 5oz   (I believe that includes the buffer tube)
RRA lower - 4 oz
Takedown pins - 1oz ?
--------------------------------
Total - 10oz.

So it sounds like I should be able to save 11oz.  That's pretty significant.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Let's see.....

From the GWAC's FAQ:

How much does the GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII lower receiver weigh? A stripped lower which comes with pivot and takedown pins is 1 lb 5 oz. A fully populated CAV-15 with the trigger group, carbine buffer and buffer spring installed weighs in at only 1lb 12 oz.

Compare that with:

RRA lower - 4 oz
Takedown pins - 1oz ?
Total - 10oz.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Assembled w/ a stock & a receiver extension, can you get it under the weight of a GWACS?

Let's see.....

From the GWAC's FAQ:

Compare that with:

RRA lower - 4 oz
Takedown pins - 1oz ?
Total - 10oz.

http://riflestocks.com/store/page18.html

Does not include Buffer Tube, Buffer, or Spring.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, so subtract about 3oz for the buffer tube?  That's still about an 8oz advantage over the GWAC.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  OK, so subtract about 3oz for the buffer tube?  That's still about an 8oz advantage over the GWAC.
View Quote

Dude, I just gave you a link to their page that has weights on it.  4.5 oz for an entry length tube.  ETA:  And each of those stocks alone costs more each than a stripped Sabre Defense lower.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dude, I just gave you a link to their page that has weights on it.  4.5 oz for an entry length tube.  ETA:  And each of those stocks alone costs more each than a stripped Sabre Defense lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  OK, so subtract about 3oz for the buffer tube?  That's still about an 8oz advantage over the GWAC.

Where do you see the buffer tube listed?  
They do list the ARUL and ARUL-E,  but neither includes the buffer tube (as you corrected me on before)  and both weight 5oz.
The ARUL-E  saying  9.5oz is a typo I believe.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They do list the ARUL and ARUL-E,  but neither includes the buffer tube (as you corrected me on before)  and both weight 5oz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(AR-UL-E) ACE AR Ultra Lite Stock Entry Length

Lightest AR-15 Stock ever devised. Weighs 9.5 oz without Buffer and Spring.

Subtract the weight of the ARUL from the ARUL-E, you get 4.5 oz - weight of the entry length tube.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#24]
OK thanks.  I figured it out now.  The bold red text for the ARUL-E that says "Does not include buffer tube" is a typo.  The 9.5oz is correct.  The ARUL doesn't include the tube, hence it's listed as 5oz.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  OK thanks.  I figured it out now.  The bold red text for the ARUL-E that says "Does not include buffer tube" is a typo.  The 9.5oz is correct.  The ARUL doesn't include the tube, hence it's listed as 5oz.
View Quote

You'll come in lighter than the GWACS, I'll grant.  Going to run a magnesium or Carbon-15 upper?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You'll come in lighter than the GWACS, I'll grant.  Going to run a magnesium or Carbon-15 upper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  OK thanks.  I figured it out now.  The bold red text for the ARUL-E that says "Does not include buffer tube" is a typo.  The 9.5oz is correct.  The ARUL doesn't include the tube, hence it's listed as 5oz.

I've considered the Mag upper, but even if I wanted one they've been out of stock on their web site for months now.
The issue of the finish chipping bothers me though.  Not so much cosmetically, but because the outer finish keeps the magnesium from corroding. So chips are not just cosmetic.

I'm now at about 6 lb  2oz  including  optic, hand grip, and light.   I'd like to shave off another 7-8 ounces.
A low weight BCG would help, but I don't want to give up the FA, and don't want to spend the $$$ for titanium
So this RRA polymer lower looks interesting.

ETA:  I would NOT consider a polymer upper. No kabooms thank you.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Dupe...  delete please.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  I've considered the Mag upper, but even if I wanted one they've been out of stock on their web site for months now.
The issue of the finish chipping bothers me though.  Not so much cosmetically, but because the outer finish keeps the magnesium from corroding. So chips are not just cosmetic.

I'm now at about 6 lb  2oz  including  optic, hand grip, and light.   I'd like to shave off another 7-8 ounces.
A low weight BCG would help, but I don't want to give up the FA, and don't want to spend the $$$ for titanium

View Quote

You're still over 6 lbs w/ a pencil bbl?  Colt's A1 carbine was 5.8 lbs, if I remember correctly.  Unlikely to get a kaboom from a polymer upper.  More likely it would fail by dropping or bayonet practice.

I guess I'm curious what interests you about the RR lower over any other non-GWACS polymer lower.  Limited lifetime warranty from a reputable manufacturer?  Bushmaster and Windham both make guaranteed rifles on plastic lowers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You're still over 6 lbs w/ a pencil bbl?  Colt's A1 carbine was 5.8 lbs, if I remember correctly.  Unlikely to get a kaboom from a polymer upper.  More likely it would fail by dropping or bayonet practice.

I guess I'm curious what interests you about the RR lower over any other non-GWACS polymer lower.  Limited lifetime warranty from a reputable manufacturer?  Bushmaster and Windham both make guaranteed rifles on plastic lowers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I've considered the Mag upper, but even if I wanted one they've been out of stock on their web site for months now.

- Bushmaster upper
- Bushmaster 16" target crown pencil barrel (which I don't think they offer anymore)
- RRA standard aluminum lower
- Aimpoint H-1
- Ace ARUL-E stock
- Lanco Tactical grip stop
- MI 12" SSK rail
- Inforce WML light
- No BUIS.  

It's 6 lb 2oz with batteries, including the weight of the sling mount (but not the sling itself).

What other polymer lowers are there?  I don't want to have to buy a whole rifle or even a lower-stock combo like the GWACS.
I just want a stripped lower.  I want to be able to mix and match whatever parts I like. For that reason I don't want a lower that won't accept standard parts.  Things like the Bushmaster carbon rifles fall into that category I believe.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#30]
https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/lw-15-complete-polymer-lower-receiver/

This is the most popular polymer @ the moment - primarily for the price.  I see @ the gun shows for $109.  Another new one has brass rings & metal reinforcing critical joints, such as the receiver extension threads.  But the magnesium lowers don't seem all that expensive, albeit they're not as strong as a forged 7075 lower.

As for the perils of polymer lowers that are not integrated w/ the stock:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/misc/faq.html

ETA:  What you've got there is a pretty decent HD gun.  If that's what you're using it for, the only plastic lower I would put on it would be a GWACS/CavArms/Sabre Defense - or a Lego one.    If you're spotlighting hogs w/ it, then the Rock River or the NFA would make it lighter to carry around.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/lw-15-complete-polymer-lower-receiver/

This is the most popular polymer @ the moment - primarily for the price.  I see @ the gun shows for $109.  Another new one has brass rings & metal reinforcing critical joints, such as the receiver extension threads.  But the magnesium lowers don't seem all that expensive, albeit they're not as strong as a forged 7075 lower.

As for the perils of polymer lowers that are not integrated w/ the stock:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/misc/faq.html

ETA:  What you've got there is a pretty decent HD gun.  If that's what you're using it for, the only plastic lower I would put on it would be a GWACS/CavArms/Sabre Defense - or a Lego one.    If you're spotlighting hogs w/ it, then the Rock River or the NFA would make it lighter to carry around.
View Quote

Thanks for all the pointers here

That New Frontier lower, it's not clear whether the stock, grip, etc. are all one piece, or can I change them?
Also, if that stock is adjustable it's a no-go in Massachusetts. I'd have to blind pin it, which I can do, but it's a waste.

Yes I've seen breakages reported like the one in your link.  That in part is why I started this thread, to see if anyone's had bad experience with the RRA lower.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  Thanks for all the pointers here

That New Frontier lower, it's not clear whether the stock, grip, etc. are all one piece, or can I change them?
Also, if that stock is adjustable it's a no-go in Massachusetts. I'd have to blind pin it, which I can do, but it's a waste.

Yes I've seen breakages reported like the one in your link.  That in part is why I started this thread, to see if anyone's had bad experience with the RRA lower.
View Quote

The NFA lower comes w/ a commercial tube you can swap out, but they sell them pre-assembled w/ a poly LPK, and they sell like hotcakes as it's the 2nd cheapest way I know of to build an AR.  The RRA may perhaps be a little stronger, but I doubt stronger than the magnesium ones.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Where can you currently purchase new Saber Defense marked lowers?

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  Where can you currently purchase new Saber Defense marked lowers?

Thanks
Wes
View Quote

Wes - here's your full disclosure.  When I made this post:

I had just bought a Sabre Defense lower from them for $65.  One of the owners had bought one of my stock kits @ the dealer price of $35.  After I made that post, I agreed to set up their website, which I did.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a Bushmaster carbon 15. 20 rounds down the tube and the grip bolt threads stripped out. Now I have to re-tap and put in an insert.
this is my last poly unit, no more.

K034
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#36]
My understanding was that Saber Defense was based in the UK, started importing/exporting various parts and components for use in rifles and then ended up in a bit of a bind with .gov because they were importing/exporting without the proper license despite having an FFL to build under here in the US.  A year or so later, Saber Defense withdrew from the US market.  As a result, there's only a very limited number of Saber Defense products on the US civilian market and they haven't been available for purchase for years now unless you come across a horde of New Old Stock.
Link to a bit more info on the legal case for Saber Defense

Needless to say, the new owner of CavArms, GWACS Armory, would be the brand I would buy if you are in the market for such a lower as it's the most likely brand to keep it's warranty support 10 years from now:

Saber Defense's Logo was pretty damn cool though, glad to see Trinity might be a source for their branded lowers in the future if I need one.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Take a look at the TN Arms lowers.  They seem to have addressed the RE weakness problem by making it a high shelf and reinforcing the area.  There is a video of the owner bashing the crap out of one on concrete with extended stock at an angle "mortaring" it to try to see if it cracks (it doesn't).  Also it is a hybrid with brass threads.  If I didn't just buy a handful of Andersons for $39.95, I'd have tried these out.  They look way better than any other conventional type polymer lower.

http://www.tnarmsco.com/
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#38]
FYI, Trinity Ordnance now is asking $129 for the stripped Sabre Defense polymer lower and $199 for the complete one - not a bargain. The RRA lower looks interesting but I've also felt they don't give enough info on their products on their website - same with this product
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  FYI, Trinity Ordnance now is asking $129 for the stripped Sabre Defense polymer lower and $199 for the complete one - not a bargain. The RRA lower looks interesting but I've also felt they don't give enough info on their products on their website - same with this product
View Quote

Try calling.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top