Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 11:13:32 PM EDT
I keep going back-and-forth on what handguard to use on my current build, but one thing that is of particular importance is the rigidity of both the mount (rail to barrel nut to receiver) and the rail itself.  If you had to absolutely trust that it would stay true around the barrel, even when abused, what would use?  My gut says Geissele would be up there, but my gut doesn't have much first-hand experience.

Note: for a couple of reasons, I'm not looking for a quad rail, but something like a Troy SDMR or Geissele Mk4 with the quad at the very end would work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you got it right with geissele.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Noveske NSR

BCM KMR
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
YHM.
Laugh if you want, but there's nothing I've used or played with that is as solid as the YHM mounts as long as you properly torque the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
check out the EMR as well really long barrell nut, the V3 will have a continuous rail as well
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Geissele. The barrel nut and rail system is solid and a breeze to install.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
URX 4. The rail is the barrel nut. I haven't installed one but it seems more difficult to install than most.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Geissele
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Geissele

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Geissele

not just any geissele either, their older rails came with steel barrel nuts and thicker areas around the two screws. each revision seems to have weight savings in mind, which isnt to say the new ones are fragile but the old ones were tanks

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
YHM.
Laugh if you want, but there's nothing I've used or played with that is as solid as the YHM mounts as long as you properly torque the barrel nut.
View Quote

Haha ,lol ... wait, you're right. I have one. Solid as a tank.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Noveske NSR

BCM KMR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Noveske NSR

BCM KMR

Looked at both.  Noveske was eliminated for completed unrelated reasons.  The KMR seems to be way up there on strength-to-weight and the design of their mount makes sense.  My concern was whether they went for ultra-light, using the magnesium content to make it reasonably strong, but not necessarily top-level strong.  In other words, I have no doubt that it is stronger than a similar aluminum-only design; I just wonder if it is as strong as some of the heavier aluminum designs (e.g., Geissele.)

Quoted:
YHM.

Have to admit, I wasn't expecting YHM.  The 12.5" Slant SLR is interesting for my particular build, but I just can't decide if I'd be OK with (or even like) the slant nose or if it will bug me (same with the Rainier Force Mk2.)

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geissele
not just any geissele either, their older rails came with steel barrel nuts and thicker areas around the two screws. each revision seems to have weight savings in mind, which isnt to say the new ones are fragile but the old ones were tanks

Interesting.  I was looking at either the Mk4 Keymod (still for sale at Valhalla Tactical) or the new Mk8 with M-LOK, but the bomb-proof-i-ness of the older models (Mk1 and Mk2, I assume) is worth looking at.  That definitely comes with a different category of weight, though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#11]
(double tap)
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Noveske NSR

BCM KMR

These!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Look for a rail with a long, fat proprietary barrel nut.  Those typically also have larger and multiple means to fasten the tube securely.  Also look for thicker metal on the tube and fewer, rather than more "Swiss cheese" holes.  These rails may be a couple ounces heavier, perhaps total weight, including nut, working out to about one ounce per inch of length.

Geissele and Daniel Defense come to mind.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Noveske NSR

BCM KMR
View Quote

The NSR (mine is still in box and not installed) I believe has an anti rotation pin which is great for a 'bomb-proof'.  For regular use I don't think its needed.  There are a ton of screws on that thing.  If you don't want to drill your upper for the pin you can send it off to ADCO to do it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#15]
how about a cop or m4e1 from aero
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, likely the most rigid you'll find.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's cheating
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#18]
BCM KMR

They spent a lot of time working on that and wouldn't release something sub-par.

And the cross bolt lockup system is as strong as they come

/thread
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Look for a rail with a long, fat proprietary barrel nut.  Those typically also have larger and multiple means to fasten the tube securely.  Also look for thicker metal on the tube and fewer, rather than more "Swiss cheese" holes.  These rails may be a couple ounces heavier, perhaps total weight, including nut, working out to about one ounce per inch of length.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The extensions at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock (as well as the usual gas tube one at 12) on the Geissele should also provide rigidity against deflection (like having two mini I-beams at each one.

Quoted:

Unfortunately, that idea came to me after I had decided on and purchased an ASA side-charging upper.

Quoted:
BCM KMR

They spent a lot of time working on that and wouldn't release something sub-par.

And the cross bolt lockup system is as strong as they come

/thread

I don't doubt the connection at all and their material choice certainly helps.  But, again, I am concerned with the cross-sectional design being about weight-savings, relying on the material difference to make it stronger than a comparable aluminum design.  Maybe I'm wrong, but if you grabbed two rifles, one with a KMR and the other with a Geissele, while the former would no doubt be significantly lighter, my gut says that the latter would be harder to make deflect off center.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Mega's MKM set up is pretty "bomb proof" but you pay a little more in weight

The best "value" in engineering + low wt. is BCM KMR  -imo

And if you buy it from V7 Weapons you can get it with their Ti barrel nut....Joel has stated that Ti hardware is in the works.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Im all about the BCM KMR but as far as bombproof goes, I think that it should be closer to the bottom of the list due to its fragile finish. Not to say that any other rail wont scratch, but if you plan on keeping you BCM looking like it did when you took it out of the box you can forget about it...

My vote goes to any Geissele rail...
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Geissele is what you want since it has the quad pic rails at the end.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Same problem as the AP M4E1; attachment is integrated into the upper.

Quoted:
Im all about the BCM KMR but as far as bombproof goes, I think that it should be closer to the bottom of the list due to its fragile finish. Not to say that any other rail wont scratch, but if you plan on keeping you BCM looking like it did when you took it out of the box you can forget about it...

Actually, when it comes to "bomb proof", finish wouldn't be what I would include (unless losing it allows the material below to degrade, which I don't believe is the case with the KMR.)  Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a durable finish, too, but it's just not what I'm most concerned about in this case.

Quoted:
Geissele is what you want since it has the quad pic rails at the end.

The Mk4 Keymod does, but the Mk8 (M-Lok) does not.  However, its cross-section does have bump-outs to the Keymod/M-Lok that should provide rigidity.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Geissele mk1 would probably be up there. It's a monster.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Geissele mk1 would probably be up there. It's a monster.
View Quote

Hard to find the Mk1.  I have seen the Mk2, which is pretty close.  I was thinking that the Mk4/Mk8 would be a slight compromise between strength and weight.  Maybe I can find a steel barrel nut (they sell the aluminum one, so perhaps a Mk1/Mk2 owner who has purchased one would want to sell the steel one.)  I wouldn't mind the added weight so close to the center of balance (gravity).

I hate to even mention them due to the inevitable "f**k Troy" comments, but how would Troy's products rate?  Specifically, I was looking at the SDMR.  It would be a reluctant choice, but the 13" is available for around $205 and there are some other characteristics of it that would work well in my case.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Vltor casv setup would fit the bill
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
URX 4. The rail is the barrel nut. I haven't installed one but it seems more difficult to install than most.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I skipped this earlier because I had ruled out older URX models.  Now that I have seen the 4, I may have to reconsider.

Quoted:
Vltor casv setup would fit the bill

Actually, this my very first idea.  I agree that it is a very solid design.  Unfortunately, it was ruled out for non-bomp-proof-related reasons.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, it may not be as bombproof as the Mk1, but a surprising stock of the new Mk4 w/ M-Lok was too hard to pass on.  

Loved the MK4, but wanted M-Lok.  Geissele service told me last week that the Mk4 M-Lok would be coming in the spring.  Googled it today and viola!

Mmmmmm....

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, it may not be as bombproof as the Mk1, but a surprising stock of the new Mk4 w/ M-Lok was too hard to pass on.  

Loved the MK4, but wanted M-Lok.  Geissele service told me last week that the Mk4 M-Lok would be coming in the spring.  Googled it today and viola!

Mmmmmm....

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Geissele-SMR-MK4-MLOK-Rail-2.jpg

View Quote

I like it what's the wt on the 13.0 including barrel nut and attaching hardware (not including accessory rails)
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like it what's the wt on the 13.0 including barrel nut and attaching hardware (not including accessory rails)
View Quote

They don't have the weight yet for the Mk4 M-Lok on their website, but the Mk4 Keymod is 13.44 oz w/ barrel nut (11.52 without) and the Mk8 (M-Lok, no small rails) is roughly 0.5 oz heavier than the Mk5 (Keymod, no small rails.)  So, I'd guess that it will be around 13.8 oz with barrel nut.

Make you wonder how they kept the original Mk4 down to 12.8 oz.  I guess because the sides didn't have to stand up to having things mounted to them (short rails excluded.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I skipped this earlier because I had ruled out older URX models.  Now that I have seen the 4, I may have to reconsider.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't own one, but it seems very solid due to lack of barrel nut/rail interface. However it looks to be a PITA to install.

Some people are confirming some of your fears about the KMR:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/668089_I_m_at_a_loss_for_words______I_think_my_new_BCM_KMR_is_a_lemon__PIC_.html

Shame, I just ordered one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top