Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2015 6:59:11 PM EDT
Hey, New to the forum looking for a little help. I just purchased what I thought was a noveske n4. However I was unfamiliar with noveske's and didn't realize what I actually bought was someone's built rifle. So I've broken the gun down all the way to try and figure out what parts were used. And my primary issue is of course the barrel. I've spent the last 5 hours looking at all different kinds of stamps and have yet to find it. The stamp on the rifle is "1x7 5.56 NATO" in that order. I can post pictures as soon as I find out how to. Does anyone have knowledge on who in the world makes this barrel? Any and all help is highly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Pictures needed. Also, what is the barrel profile?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a 16inch carbine length gas system
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey, New to the forum looking for a little help. I just purchased what I thought was a noveske n4. However I was unfamiliar with noveske's and didn't realize what I actually bought was someone's built rifle. So I've broken the gun down all the way to try and figure out what parts were used. And my primary issue is of course the barrel. I've spent the last 5 hours looking at all different kinds of stamps and have yet to find it. The stamp on the rifle is "1x7 5.56 NATO" in that order. I can post pictures as soon as I find out how to. Does anyone have knowledge on who in the world makes this barrel? Any and all help is highly appreciated, thanks in advance.
View Quote

Need to check out the barrel proof marks and the BCG (bolt carrier group) to get an idea of what you are working with.

Barrel profile would be the shape of the barrel like a gov't or lightweight, etc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry still trying to figure out the whole picture thing, but I believe it's the light weight barrel, or as far as looks it has the same shape as a colt le6920 figure that's a pretty common rifle you guys would know until I can get these pictures up here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
you'll need an offiste picture hosting site like photobucket etc., put your photos up there and link them here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok hope this works, let me know if it doesn't, there should be three pictures. If you want me to strip it down back to just the barrel I can. Should also be a pic of the stamp as well.

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/zwmcadams/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0313_zpsd2fjclz9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't seem to get the image to come up on its own, I guess the link is the best I can do for now. Also can't find any markings on the bcg, when I bought it it had the noveske markings on the upper and lower receiver which I just assumed it was a noveske bc he said it was the guy said it was the entry level one and he had changed the handgaurd and a2 out for the vltor setup. But I guess you can say lesson learned should always be more thorough when buying off armslist.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
you either use the image symbol on this site
in the little area you type

or photobucket has a IMG code you copy and paste directly here

And I didnt check your post count but if its low all images you post has to be approved first

anyways I looked at your 3 pics you have
looks like m4 barrel profile

thats all I know
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you pull the handguard off and see if theres any markings under it? I do believe all Noveske barrels will have their iron cross and a serial number on the muzzle side of the barrel, so I would venture to say its not a Noveske barrel. But I dont know how they did their older barrels, pull the handguards off and take more pictures of any markings.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
when you say you bought someones built rifle
what does that mean?

a used rifle? like receiver and all that

or used upper

here is an image you posted

maybe you have to take off the handguards to see any markings?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
No Noveske markings on the lower,the upper,the handguard, or the barrel?

I think I would box the whole thing up and send it to Noveske asking them to verify which parts they actually sold back in the day
ask for a list against the parts you sent them....

You are gonna have to pay the freight but it might be worth it

If you got screwed you'd have that against the seller at least
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
There's noveske markings in the upper and lower receiver, he told me that the rifle was the entry level noveske with the a2 front sight and circular hand guard, so I didn't give it much thought being that the markings were on the receivers, I emailed noveske and they told me it wasn't sold as a complete rifle so that's when I started breaking it down. Also I took the hand guards off and there is not any markings anywhere else on the barrel other then the 1x7 5.56 Nato. That's all that's stamp on the rifle. And I'll use the image icon again when I tried using it previously all that would post was "http:" but I'll leave it incase it has to be approved before it shows.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
" />
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Also thanks for the help so far guys, I do appreciate it really. And also when I said a built rifle I mean it was pieced together, everything was bought separately from God knows where. The only thing that's noveske is the upper and lower receiver part of the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't recall Noveske ever using that barrel profile. Unless they did years ago when they were starting up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#18]
my guess you saw Noveske and thought the whole rifle was one of their builds where as the seller probably meant that the upper and lower receivers are Noveske as you can buy them by there self.

wheres the add that you bought it from?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh no I talked to the previous owner and he was under the impression it was a whole noveske as well. He had no idea that it wasn't well that's what he told me at least, and he seemed like a nice guy so I kinda believe him. He didn't seem like he knew a lot about rifles to begin with so I doubt he took the time to build it. With that being said I purchased it off armslist from a private seller. I'm not to upset about it after looking into everything there's still probably somewhere around 1600-1700 in the build. I just really want to know what barrel is on it really. I've shot it and it's very accurate overall. It'll shoot around an inch at 100 yards. I'm just upset the barrel isn't a noveske. And I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out which barrel it is. I can take the hand guard off and take pics(even tho I cant post them on here I can put them on photobucket) if needed but there's not any markings any where else on it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=597588

I believe I found it. It's the only thing that matches. What are your guys thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag77/zwmcadams/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0314_1_zps7pzxudia.jpg</a>" />

Still trying this image thing, can't seem to get it to work, I click on the image icon on here, paste the url that photo bucket gives me and it still comes up as a link, sorry I'm not to good at this whole posting pictures. Hopefully I'll figure it out at some point.
View Quote

You have it right this time, but as a newer user, your image will only appear to team members of the site until several of them approve them.  This was implemented to prevent spam.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Ah ok thanks for the clarification, I was trying to figure out what it was I was doing wrong. Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

after looking into everything there's still probably somewhere around 1600-1700 in the build.
View Quote
sorry, unless theres stuff i'm not seeing, i dont think this is the case (brand new retail maybe). are there any markings on the BCG?

and welcome to the site

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#24]
chrome bore?

how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#26]
This is what I've found so far
Vltor casv-el 240$
Vltor gas block with tower sight 215$
Vltor flash hider 60$
Ergo grip 50$
Magpul ctr stock 75$
Yhm QDS rear sight 108$
Fab defense angled grip 50$
Fab defense mag well grip 50$
I feel pretty sure it's a Daniel defense barrel now, so 289$
The noveske lower and upper receiver ranges from 300-350$
Black nitride bcg (no markings what so ever) but from what I've searched online I found one at 115$ that looked closet to it
Trigger group is nice, clean, crisp, no idea who makes it but it's a nice trigger so I'd say 60$ from what I've seen
Charging handle is nothing special but I'd call it 30$ from what I've found.

Now all that without tax included comes out to be 1649$ with tax 1763$ I'm not saying I'd ever get that out of it but it helps to know this thing isn't full of psa parts with a noveske stamp
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#27]
this is what a noveske barrel marking looks like

and

and opposite that will be a roll marked serial number and iron cross
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:14:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Have you checked the Serial Number with Noveske? They should be able to tell you if they were pieced together or not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah noveske told me it was sold as just a lower and not a complete rifle, which is what started me on this. But I believe it's a Daniel defense barrel. After hours of searching I found a couple threads on here with barrels that look like mine with the same stamp and apparently they are Daniel defense.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Not a dd barrel either, they are marked under the handguards... The font on your barrel looks similar to double star/JT.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Looked the same as the pic in this thread, and there's a couple other threads like it that I found with the same markings. I read also to put oil on the barrel between the chamber and front sight and I might be able to find some more markings so I plan to do that after work today just to see if I find anything else.

But after looking at the double stars they don't look cut the way mine is, and looks like they mainly come in 1/9 twist I didn't see any 1/7's.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Looked the same as the pic in this thread, and there's a couple other threads like it that I found with the same markings. I read also to put oil on the barrel between the chamber and front sight and I might be able to find some more markings so I plan to do that after work today just to see if I find anything else.

But after looking at the double stars they don't look cut the way mine is, and looks like they mainly come in 1/9 twist I didn't see any 1/7's.
View Quote

You might be right. According to dd's website they did mark barrels like that at one time. I only thought double star because I bought a stripped barrel from brownells about 8 years ago and it looked just like your photos.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#33]

I have two Daniel Defense barrels and their marked with a DD back by the barrel nut on the left side around the 2 Oclock position and its very light markings.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#34]
One big clue is NATO is stamped Nato.  I don't think DD, or most of the other manufacturer's, would intentionally spell NATO like that.  The only brand I have seen with "ato" in lower case  Is DEL-TON.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
One big clue is NATO is stamped Nato.  I don't think DD, or most of the other manufacturer's, would intentionally spell NATO like that.  The only brand I have seen with "ato" in lower case  Is DEL-TON.
View Quote

If it is DD, it would be an older button swaged barrel. DD BARREL ID

And for some reason I remember my only double star (non chrome) being marked like that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I stand corrected.  Thanks, Crash.  It's good to see the history of the rollmarks on DD's site.
Quoted:

And for some reason I remember my only double star (non chrome) being marked like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have two Daniel Defense barrels and their marked with a DD back by the barrel nut on the left side around the 2 Oclock position and its very light markings.
View Quote

Did have the stamp like mine as well? And I'll check when I get back from the range today, and break it back down for the umphteen time now. Lol
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is what I've found so far
Vltor casv-el 240$
Vltor gas block with tower sight 215$
Vltor flash hider 60$
Ergo grip 50$
Magpul ctr stock 75$
Yhm QDS rear sight 108$
Fab defense angled grip 50$
Fab defense mag well grip 50$
I feel pretty sure it's a Daniel defense barrel now, so 289$
The noveske lower and upper receiver ranges from 300-350$
Black nitride bcg (no markings what so ever) but from what I've searched online I found one at 115$ that looked closet to it
Trigger group is nice, clean, crisp, no idea who makes it but it's a nice trigger so I'd say 60$ from what I've seen
Charging handle is nothing special but I'd call it 30$ from what I've found.

Now all that without tax included comes out to be 1649$ with tax 1763$ I'm not saying I'd ever get that out of it but it helps to know this thing isn't full of psa parts with a noveske stamp
View Quote

PSA parts are actually quite good if you can stand the wait time for shipping. Barrels are especially good (premium and CHF barrels anyway)
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#39]
so how bad were you soaked for this frankenbuild?

does it run?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any chance you can post a picture of the two 'o clock markings I'm looking at mine now and I see what might be *DD  But it's so faint I can't get it to show in a picture, hell it could be a couple scuffs on the barrel Idk
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
so how bad were you soaked for this frankenbuild?

does it run?
View Quote

It shoots great, consistent tight groups. So I'm not really complaining about the rifle more so just being mislead and not getting what I thought I was buying. I could get my money back out of it I think or close to it at least.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Any chance you can post a picture of the two 'o clock markings I'm looking at mine now and I see what might be *DD  But it's so faint I can't get it to show in a picture, hell it could be a couple scuffs on the barrel Idk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill try to get a pic and i meant to say right side of barrel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:31:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case it may not be it, but when you say right side is that with the barrel facing away from you like you would aiming, or with the muzzle towards you
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#44]

This is the best i can do with my sucky camera.

This barrel is a 16'' LW government profile middy.

Theirs what looks like a serial number under the gas tube and just under that DD F MP 5.56 NATO 1/7

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In that case it may not be it, but when you say right side is that with the barrel facing away from you like you would aiming, or with the muzzle towards you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right side as if your aiming.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:10:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Noveske has never sold a carbine gas 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah mine doesn't look like that stamp at all, other then that front stamp there is nothing on it, I thought I was seeing a DD by the barrel nut but after getting in some better light it wasn't.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Awesome looking rifle and seems to be built well with quality parts.  I doubt they skimped on the barrel when they went quality on everything else.  One thing I've learned is never get rid of a reliable gun...I wouldn't get rid of it even if all components weren't properly disclosed at the time of sale.  Maybe the seller will offer a small refund to address the issue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Sounds like the previous owner, not into guns, was understandably confused about it being a Noveske.  So long as you paid a fair price for what it is, no foul, since you've confirmed it is accurate, reliable and built with solid parts.  Shoot the snot out of it until the mystery barrel is worn out, the replace it with whatever you like.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sounds like the previous owner, not into guns, was understandably confused about it being a Noveske.  So long as you paid a fair price for what it is, no foul, since you've confirmed it is accurate, reliable and built with solid parts.  Shoot the snot out of it until the mystery barrel is worn out, the replace it with whatever you like.
View Quote

Yeah that's what I was thinking, the rifle feels/shoots great I was hitting clays at 135 yards with irons which to me is awesome. So I feel like I can't really complain about the rifle because it does what I want without a problem. So all in all I'm happy with the gun. Maybe I'll buy a real noveske a little later down the road.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top