Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2015 3:17:10 PM EDT
I'm having trouble deciding on a barrel for my build. I have found some good choices already that are mostly out of stock (I've joined several waiting lists). I'd like to know what you think about the ones I've found and maybe some alternatives that meet the following criteria:

- 16 or 18 inch length
- stainless steel
- melonite/ QPQ treated
- chambered in 223 wylde

1 in 8 twist is preferable but not required. These are the barrels I have already found:

http://www.customar15.net/shop/barrels-ar-15-upper-receivers/lothar-walther-16in-223-wylde-match-grade-barrel-stainless-melonite/
http://www.customar15.net/shop/barrels-ar-15-upper-receivers/18-416r-stainless-melonite-twist-flute-socom-barrel-wylde-chamber-18-twist-2235-56/?woocommerce_waitlist=3922&woocommerce_waitlist_nonce=4727116860
http://www.customar15.net/shop/barrels-ar-15-upper-receivers/18-stainless-melonite-socom-barrel-wylde-chamber-18-twist-5-56-223/?woocommerce_waitlist=3919&woocommerce_waitlist_nonce=4727116860

Thanks in advance for your help!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm having trouble deciding on a barrel for my build. I have found some good choices already that are mostly out of stock (I've joined several waiting lists). I'd like to know what you think about the ones I've found and maybe some alternatives that meet the following criteria:

- 16 or 18 inch length
- stainless steel
- melonite/ QPQ treated
- chambered in 223 wylde

1 in 8 twist is preferable but not required. These are the barrels I have already found:

http://www.customar15.net/shop/barrels-ar-15-upper-receivers/lothar-walther-16in-223-wylde-match-grade-barrel-stainless-melonite/

http://www.customar15.net/shop/barrels-ar-15-upper-receivers/18-416r-stainless-melonite-twist-flute-socom-barrel-wylde-chamber-18-twist-2235-56/?woocommerce_waitlist=3922&woocommerce_waitlist_nonce=4727116860

http://www.customar15.net/shop/barrels-ar-15-upper-receivers/18-stainless-melonite-socom-barrel-wylde-chamber-18-twist-5-56-223/?woocommerce_waitlist=3919&woocommerce_waitlist_nonce=4727116860

View Quote

I thought it wasn't a good idea to Melonite stainless steel?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

- 16 or 18 inch length

- stainless steel

- melonite/ QPQ treated

- chambered in 223 wylde

My understanding is the heat treating is much more sensitive to temperature variations and it's harder to get right.  If done right it shouldn't be a problem.

I would not look exclusively for a melonited stainless steel barrel.  What are the primary goals you hope to achieve with your new barrel?  Is the focus on accuracy, cost or longevity of the barrel?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the quick response!

I've heard the same about if it's done right then melonited stainless is a good material.

I have already decided on my criteria for various reasons, so that part wasn't what I was hoping to discuss.

I was looking more for critiques on the specific brands I was looking at and more options that meet those criteria.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Their are very few companies meloniting stainless, that's why I said I wouldn't make it my primary criteria.  The only one I know of is customar15.net, and they have been routinely backordered for several months.  While their prices are good I haven't had any experience with their barrels to verify how good they are.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, I've been having trouble finding anyone else who does it. I may just have to wait for them to stock more. Hopefully someone has had experience with them and will chime in.

On a side note, what is your personal favorite barrel that you have shot/ owned?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My Rainier Arms Match .223 16" middy has never let me down
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
BCM SS410 is a solid barrel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm super interested in a similar customar15 barrel but have been holding off due to lack of reviews. I have seen a thread reply or two that were positive regarding accuracy though. If anyone has any info your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I recommend the ARP 18" SPR fluted barrel, milspec CMV but would likely outlast most stainless barrels, and it is accurate...love mine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I recommend the ARP 18" SPR fluted barrel, milspec CMV but would likely outlast most stainless barrels, and it is accurate...love mine.
View Quote

I looked at that barrel before I came across the stainless melonited barrels. That is probably my first choice if I get tired of waiting for them to restock the others. I'm not sure if it would outlast a stainless barrel with the melonite treatment. As I understand it the process doesn't coat the metal but changes it on a molecular level. But that would be nice to know for sure - does a melonite treated cmv barrel outlast a melonite treated stainless barrel? (assuming that both treatments were done correctly)
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Aero Precision or AR15 Performance.

Both Melonite/QPQ 4150 11595-e milspec CMV alloy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:54:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Faxon or ARP
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Aero Precision or AR15 Performance.

Both Melonite/QPQ 4150 11595-e milspec CMV alloy.
View Quote

I do like the Aero Precision stuff, I got my upper and lower from them. Do you have one of their barrels? I read somewhere who actually manufactures them but can't remember off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I looked at that barrel before I came across the stainless melonited barrels. That is probably my first choice if I get tired of waiting for them to restock the others. I'm not sure if it would outlast a stainless barrel with the melonite treatment. As I understand it the process doesn't coat the metal but changes it on a molecular level. But that would be nice to know for sure - does a melonite treated cmv barrel outlast a melonite treated stainless barrel? (assuming that both treatments were done correctly)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Life expectancy of a barrel is very dependent upon the firing schedule the barrel is put through.  Given a very heavy firing schedule I would expect a melonited 4150CMV barrel to outlast a melonited SS416 barrel.  Given a slow rate of fire they would probably be much close in life expectancy.  If you watch IraqVeteran8888's recent video he blows a stainless steel barrel before the gas tube fails, it would have probably blown the gas tube first with 4150 CMV.

In the long run, if you shoot much, the cost of ammunition quickly outweighs the cost of new barrels.

If you are worried about accuracy on a budget, I have had good luck with DPMS's stainless steel Mark 12 barrel:

http://www.jsesurplus.com/DPMS18Mark12Barrel1x8StainlessSteelTeflonFinish.aspx

Last week I shot this group with one of those barrels.

ARP has a good reputation and I run their 6.8 barrels.  

If I was willing to spend a bit more and wanted excellent accuracy I would get a Rainier Ultramatch barrel.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I have 2, 16" 1:8 223 Wylde Lothar Walther barrels in a light-medium (Govt type profile) brand new, haven't even cleaned them yet, would possibly be willing to sell one. Message me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Faxon or ARP
View Quote

Let us know if you have any questions we can help with!

Our guarantee is simple: If there's an issue, we fix it or make it right.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Many barrel makers and complete rifle manufacturers are now doing QPQ SN (melonite) of stainless match barrels.  They show up not only on bolt gun championship benchrest rifles, but now on ARs as well.  It is no more difficult to treat stainless than 4140 or 4150.  The issue is that while the hardening makes stainless much more resistant to wear than untreated, the barrel life is still not as long as treating 4040 or 4150 steel.   It remains a great way, however, to accomplish two things (1) the match grade stainless barrel will retain its match accuracy and have extended life; and (2) the process darkens the stainless so that the rifle does not "stand out" if you are hunting or need less visibility or simply like the satin deep black of QPQ SN

Nitride treatment, whether on stainless or 4140 or 4150, does require separate treatment of the barrel and barrel extension before assembly, or use of particular processes on barrels with extension already affixed..
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the guys over at integrity arms.  I ordered a pistol barrel from them and it showed up 2 days later.  It looked great and shot well.

I also like the faxon barrel i have.  18 inch rifle gas is a smooth shooter.

You won't go wrong with either option but Nathan and his non stick warranty is a nice selling point.  

If you ever plan to shoot steel cased imports i'd choose the 556 over the wylde chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top