Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 5:38:04 AM EDT
What are advantages of higher quality/higher priced BCG and CH?  Are they worth the money? What are some of the better brands for both?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#1]
When I do a build, I build it like I might have to bet my life on it someday. Cheap parts usually go south in short order. Maybe when you need it.
My personal choice for a BCG or a Charging handle is Bravo Company. Their Gunfighter charging handle is one of the best up grades you can make to a AR. I personally prefer the Medium one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The BCG is not something you want to skimp on. I personally use Spikes Tactical BCG's, but there are a lot of good ones out there. BCM, Spikes, LMT, Daniel Defense and many others.

The charging handle is more a matter of preference. A standard USGI charging handle will do you fine. If you want or need something something oversized or ambidextrous, the AXTS Raptor or BCM Gunfighter series are 2 of the more popular choices.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Except for loose gas keys problems with carriers seem rare.
It is my perception that the bolts from BCM, Spikes, and similar quality vendors last longer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Disagree about the more inexpensive BCGs are somehow less reliable.  The market and arfcom weeds out the vendors that make garbage.  Do a search for Ice Arms and you will see what I am talking about.

AimSurplus and PSA (not PTAC) are inexpensive and reliable options.  You don't NEED a NiB carrier and Sharp Reliabolt and actually if you do your research these products that are marketed to increase reliability have their problems as well.  If you buy from a good vendor you are going to be happy.  

With something like Spikes or BCM you really have bullet proof quality for a slight premium and there is obviously still value there.  With AimSurplus and PSA you have great quality and great customer service with the best prices.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]
These days, I normally just grab one of AIM's.  I've got BCG's from quite a few companies and they have all worked fine so far.

BCM makes a great product, but it's just a mil-spec BCG.  If I'm going to spend how much they want I'll get an ARP Superbolt (which is my go to for all my 6.8 guns).

Currently I've got bolts/BCG's from AIM, PSA, PTAC, Daniel Defense, Colt, FN, MGI, Larue, Rguns, ARP, Spikes and maybe a few others I've forgotten.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought my first "upgraded" BCG and charging handle.  Went with the AIM NiBo for $109...worth EVERY penny.  Hopefully it lasts and performs as long and well as I've read it should. And it looks cool, feels solid.  Went with the BCM Gunfighter and that even makes a world of difference when charging the rifle.  I have buddies that swear by their raptors as well, but I was in the same boat as you wondering if it were worth the extra coin...and I can tell you it is.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is what sub standard “right material” BC looked like after 2500 rounds…..

You can get the right material from anyone, the processes on how that material is machined and finished (hardening etc.) are what make the difference.

Here is what the bolt looked like after 200 rounds…..description said “Milspec”. It might be 158 but it wasn’t hardened right and possibly out of spec ……it functioned fine but it was a matter of time before it blew
MPI stamp and all

Do your homework, don’t break the bank just find who makes them right at a right price there are lots
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
An overlooked quality supplier of BCG's is Toolcraft.  They have .mil contracts for replacement parts and are available at decent prices.  I would not pay extra for a BCM over a Toolcraft.        

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An overlooked quality supplier of BCG's is Toolcraft.  They have .mil contracts for replacement parts and are available at decent prices.  I would have not pay extra for a BCM over a Toolcraft.          
View Quote

+1 on Toolcraft! Just grabbed one a week or so ago for $113 shipped! Lifetime warranty too!

</a>" />

edited to note price was not $113 shipped, price was $113 and I believe shipping was $5 or $7 from WCMARMORY.COM, my bad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1 on Toolcraft! Just grabbed one a week or so ago for $113 shipped! Lifetime warranty too!

http://<a href=http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r681/johnb1349/WP_20150120_0021024x768_zps68d22a38.jpg</a>" />
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An overlooked quality supplier of BCG's is Toolcraft.  They have .mil contracts for replacement parts and are available at decent prices.  I would have not pay extra for a BCM over a Toolcraft.          

http://<a href=http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r681/johnb1349/WP_20150120_0021024x768_zps68d22a38.jpg</a>" />

Thanks ordered a BCG for my 5.56, been looking for a good deal like this. Hopefully they are as well made as their pics make them look and I can order a coated carrier for my 6.8.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

edited to note price was not $113 shipped, price was $113 and I believe shipping was $5 or $7 from WCMARMORY.COM, my bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you get this bolt for $113?  the website wcmarmory.com doesn't seem to be active.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where did you get this bolt for $113?  the website wcmarmory.com doesn't seem to be active.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linky:

http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-ni-bo-t-c-engraved.htm

ugh! I just re-read my post, it's WCARMORY. Sorry.
In stock as of this post.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I went Colt on the BCG and Rainier for the CH.

It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I recently bought a few colt bcg. Previously I had psa, dd, rca, and a few others. The colt is a cut above.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I recently bought a few colt bcg. Previously I had psa, dd, rca, and a few others. The colt is a cut above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep telling yourself that. There are some BCG's that could be considered a cut above DD but Colt isn't one of them.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
An overlooked quality supplier of BCG's is Toolcraft.  They have .mil contracts for replacement parts and are available at decent prices.  I would not pay extra for a BCM over a Toolcraft.          

View Quote

Their sister company sells the Toolcraft carriers and bolts under the Cryptic Coatings branding.  I am running one and really like it:

http://www.crypticcoatings.com/coated-bolt-carrier-group/

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:08:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Keep telling yourself that. There are some BCG's that could be considered a cut above DD but Colt isn't one of them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll beg to differ having owned multiple examples of both.

I must presume that material is as specified from either.
Colt bolts aren't pitted and rough. The carriers are much smoother inside and out. Proper extractor springs are used. Staking is adequate on both with colt being more aggressive. Machine marks on the surface wear points of the colt are non existing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#18]
My JP LOMAS bolt carrier is polished black with no machine marks anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#19]
What is your opinion on the Spikes NiB BCG vs. Spikes Lightweight NiB BCG???
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What is your opinion on the Spikes NiB BCG vs. Spikes Lightweight NiB BCG???
View Quote
I view Lightweight carriers as primarily a niche market that should normally be used with an adjustable or tuned gas system.  For the majority of applications I think the lightweight isn't worth the extra money.

If your doing a 3 gun rifle with an adjustable gas system then it makes more sense, but then I would step up to something with better weight reduction like the Boomfab Titanium.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

I currently own these BCGs:
a) 2x LMT - circa mid-2000's vintage.
b) BCM - purchased when they cost less than the current $169.
c) Toolcraft 1B1B6 C158 - I recently picked up one of these as a spare and am impressed, especially considering the price point.  I noticed they are now out of stock.
d) Bushmaster - SA carrier purchased at discount prices.

I also have several FN, CMT and PSA bolts and carriers, and used to own Colt and DPMS BCG's.

In the current market, $80-100 is the sweet spot for a quality BCG.  Anything more than that you are paying for brand snobbery, and I don't mean that in a bad way.  My suspicion is that there are only a very small number of OEM manufacturers cranking out bolts and carriers, so all these branded products out there have to justify their premium, typically based on some kind of next-level QC.  Whether that is worth it or not can only be answered by the guy shelling out his hard-earned pennies for one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top