Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2015 5:01:18 PM EDT
The weight is pretty close, the only down side to the ssk is no 45 degree keymod slots. Curious how it holds up as far as scratching and being soft compared to the kmr.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the SSK.

Never had an issue with scratches or "being soft" on any of my Midwest Industries handguards. Had probably 8 of them now. Multiple SS G2s, and an SSK
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone who prefers the SSK after actually using a KMR is...pretty special.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a pretty strong opinion. What makes the kmr so much better in your opinion?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the KMR also. I think it feels a little better and I like the mounting system a lot better (can't stand the SS series barrel nut). If the money is a factor look at SLR Rifleworks also. It is lightweight, mounts solid, and comes in different configurations.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have both. Prefer SSK.  KMR is nothing extraordinary unless the name is a panty dropper for you...  

Currently with the build I am working on I'm trying to decide between the slr solo or noveske nsr to try something different
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
KMR 100%, this is not even a competition. This is like asking if you should get a Beretta M92 or a Hi-point 9MM (the KMR is the Beretta)

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
KMR 100%, this is not even a competition. This is like asking if you should get a Beretta M92 or a Hi-point 9MM (the KMR is the Beretta)

View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#8]
KMR has a way better barrel nut and is lighter but your saving $ on the MI rail.  If money and finish isn't a problem I would get the KMR.  For me I like saving money. I think rails over $200 is ridiculous and have only bought one rail over $200 (Centurion Arms 14" CMR).
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the KMR currently, wishing I would have held out for the SSK but this popped up locally. The KMR is fine, but the mounting system does interfere with certain mounts if they bridge the receiver/rail gap since they have a little tab there. I'm going SSK on the next build, mostly think it looks better and I like the QD sockets over buying another part for the KMR and then being stuck with where it is or get the tools out. It also seems to flex more than I thought it would if you push on it, but it's my first FF handguard so maybe thats just part of the deal with such light weight.

ETA keep in mind the top 45° slots on the KMR aren't really usable, almost nothing fits with the picatinny rail hanging over the top. Really I'd say just pick one I don't think you can wrong with either.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've got the KMR currently, wishing I would have held out for the SSK but this popped up locally. The KMR is fine, but the mounting system does interfere with certain mounts if they bridge the receiver/rail gap since they have a little tab there. I'm going SSK on the next build, mostly think it looks better and I like the QD sockets over buying another part for the KMR and then being stuck with where it is or get the tools out. It also seems to flex more than I thought it would if you push on it, but it's my first FF handguard so maybe thats just part of the deal with such light weight.  

View Quote

ETA keep in mind the top 45° slots on the KMR aren't really usable, almost nothing fits with the picatinny rail hanging over the top. Really I'd say just pick one I don't think you can wrong with either.

All free float handguards I have used have flexed which are LaRue, DD, and BCM.

I dont have issues with the tab with my Larue Aimpoint Micro mount that was mounted directly on top of the tab when I checked a sec ago as well.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?
Better lockup which mitigates movement under heat(rapid fire/shooting for long periods)

Lighter weight even if only by an ounce(dont matter if you win the race by a mile or a foot its a win)

More mounting options

Stronger material, Aluminium-magnesium(dont know what MI uses)

And of course the name which does play a big role imho

MI is not a bad rail but you asked why.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Both are good products. I would choice SSK, the reason:

1. SSK feels more solid in the hand

2. SSK is hard coat anodized, does not have "finish coming off easily" issue that KMR has.

3. SSK is less expensive than KMR. Use the left over towards a quality trigger.

4. Customer Service/Support is far superior with MI, they always have staff to pickup the call with professionalism. Trying to call BCM, you will get to an answering machine telling you only to email them, and you can not even leave a voice message... just lame.

my 2c.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Better lockup which mitigates movement under heat(rapid fire/shooting for long periods)Lighter weight even if only by an ounce(dont matter if you win the race by a mile or a foot its a win)
More mounting options

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?
Better lockup which mitigates movement under heat(rapid fire/shooting for long periods)Lighter weight even if only by an ounce(dont matter if you win the race by a mile or a foot its a win)
More mounting options

You said stronger material?  Really?  You act as if the MI is made from wood or something.  The Magnesium blended alloy may be lighter.  That's all in my opinion.  Also in my opinion magnesium is a shitty material choice.  Magnesium is brittle and less strong than aluminum.  I am assuming this is why they chose to make these rails from a "blend".

All or mostly all of the above is my opinions only.  
Both rails are probably more than adequate for the tasks at hand.  Carry on.....

Edited to add:  I have an MI G2 and it hasn't been anything but good.  That said I do prefer the KMR barrel nut/attachment method.  Looks stronger to me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll take the MI rail any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I am not interested in snob appeal, stupid stickers placed all over my rifle (what is the deal with some of these people, are they 12 year old girls, putting stickers all over their rifles?) or trying to build a rifle that has the highest price tag or the most flavor of the month parts.  I want parts that work and at a reasonable price, and that is MI all over.  And as mentioned, MI CS is second to none.  You got a problem with anything MI and a call or email to Andy or Troy gets answered today, often in a couple of hours, and the problem will be resolved without a bunch of BS.  I even had Andy respond to an email I sent him about some trivial BS and he was away on vacation up in Montana.  You honestly think anyone from BCM checks or would even consider responding to a customer email when they are away on vacation?  Really?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:37:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I wound up with the ssk. The built in qd sockets was the biggest advantage, that and bcm had the upper I wanted in stock with an ssk, but not a kmr. The weight difference is negligible to me, so saying the kmr is lighter means nothing in this case.

Magnesium is a soft lightweight metal, so claiming it's stronger is wrong, but that's how the kmr shaves weight.  It's also as someone pointed out why they used a blend.

The finish issue on the kmr is a toss up.  If you're  going to cerakote it then who cares. If not, I could see  why it would be an issue.

Price was cool too though. The money saved over a kmr paid for my charging handle.

I certainly wouldn't have minded having a bcm rail on my bcm upper though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You said stronger material?  Really?  You act as if the MI is made from wood or something.  The Magnesium blended alloy may be lighter.  That's all in my opinion.  Also in my opinion magnesium is a shitty material choice.  Magnesium is brittle and less strong than aluminum.  I am assuming this is why they chose to make these rails from a "blend".

Both rails are probably more than adequate for the tasks at hand.  Carry on.....

Edited to add:  I have an MI G2 and it hasn't been anything but good.  That said I do prefer the KMR barrel nut/attachment method.  Looks stronger to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

More mounting options

Like I said I dont know what MI uses, and how they got their SSK that light.

The KMR being blened is very light yet as strong as an aluminum rail that has not been blended or so BCM has said.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wound up with the ssk. The built in qd sockets was the biggest advantage, that and bcm had the upper I wanted in stock with an ssk, but not a kmr. The weight difference is negligible to me, so saying the kmr is lighter means nothing in this case.

Magnesium is a soft lightweight metal, so claiming it's stronger is wrong, but that's how the kmr shaves weight.  It's also as someone pointed out why they used a blend.

The finish issue on the kmr is a toss up.  If you're  going to cerakote it then who cares. If not, I could see  why it would be an issue.

Price was cool too though. The money saved over a kmr paid for my charging handle.

View Quote
I wonder how the SSK saves weight since its not blended with magnesium?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All free float handguards I have used have flexed which are LaRue, DD, and BCM.

I dont have issues with the tab with my Larue Aimpoint Micro mount that was mounted directly on top of the tab when I checked a sec ago as well.

Well that's good to know on the flex. As far as the tab goes I had a MI one piece mount (that clamps the rail along its entire length) that came with a Vortex Viper 1-4x I bought used. Could not mount it where it needed to go with the tab there, but it wasn't the "extended" mount just one with rings straight up from the base. (If that all made sense). Had to buy a different mount just to test the scope

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i doubt it's a blend like the kmr, they'd use it as an advertising gimmick i think if it were.  my guess is that's honestly where that extra ounce comes from. the slotting at 45 degrees is pretty aggressive, and milling out the spot for QD sockets probably all helped to put the SSK within an ounce of the KMR.  possibly the barrel nut design too.

that's my guess anyways.

it's advertised as rugged construction from 6061 aluminum and hardcoat andonized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top