Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2015 3:58:46 AM EDT
Let me start off by saying I am a BCM fan and spend a lot of money with them for a good reason.
I don't own the BCM KMR rail yet but I have been doing research on it because I want one.

I am surprised that I don't hear more people complaining about how easy it is to scratch. It seems that the popular attitude is: “The rail scratches VERY easily but I don't care”

I personally like nice things. Whether its a car, new tool, electronic, or a rifle; I keep it clean and enjoy how my items look as well as their function.

If I were to use an example of a car in place of the rail to demonstrate the popular opinion it would sound like this:  
“I don't care how my car looks as long as it performs well, its bound to get scratches anyway.”
I happen to disagree with this opinion. I want my car to look as good as it performs.

What do you guys think?
Is their anyone else that is hesitant to buy because they share a similar opinion?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Let me start off by saying I am a BCM fan and spend a lot of money with them for a good reason.
I don't own the BCM KMR rail yet but I have been doing research on it because I want one.

I am surprised that I don't hear more people complaining about how easy it is to scratch. It seems that the popular attitude is: “The rail scratches VERY easily but I don't care”

I personally like nice things. Whether its a car, new tool, electronic, or a rifle; I keep it clean and enjoy how my items look as well as their function.

If I were to use an example of a car in place of the rail to demonstrate the popular opinion it would sound like this:  
“I don't care how my car looks as long as it performs well, its bound to get scratches anyway.”
I happen to disagree with this opinion. I want my car to look as good as it performs.

What do you guys think?
Is their anyone else that is hesitant to buy because they share a similar opinion?
View Quote

No. I literally just purchase a 14.5" ELWF 13 KMR upper 5 min ago.

Are you really complaining about something that you do not even own?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The only reason I haven't bought one is because Key Mod.  As soon as they do an M-lok version, I'm in.  I've got a can of Krylon to handle scratches.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What do you guys think?
View Quote

Me, too...except when it comes to firearms.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Both of mine got duracoat, but even if they didn't I don't care if they get scratched adds character.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Cerakote is your friend. I've dropped my rifle and it hit stone ground hard enough to dent a windage cap on my scope and that rail took the brunt of it, can't tell it was ever done by looking at the rail. It really is to good a part not to look past it, especially when it's so easy to prevent. Of course, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#6]
It seems you're trying to compare two totally opposite things (or at least they're usually opposite for most people).

To me, a rifle is a tool, somewhat like a hammer.  A car, while a tool in some ways, can also be looked at as a status symbol and basis for pride.  Everybody loves a brand new shiny car.

On the other hand, when you purchase a hammer, do you mind if the contact surface gets scratches after you hit the first nail?  I mean, it's bound to get scratches just by the nature of using it.  

Same with a rifle for me.  I use them, carry them, train with them, etc.  They are bound to get scratched just by the nature of what they are and how I (as well as most) use them.  I usually rattle can my rifles anyway, so I'm really not worried about scratched anodizing at all.  

Now, if a rifle is a "status symbol" to you or a basis for pride, then I guess it may be different.  In that case, by all means get something different.  

Being completely honest, if you're that worried about scratches on a rifle, I've got a feeling you've got more safe queens than "tools."  In that case, you probably won't scratch a KMR all that easily.  Going from the safe, into a nice case, to the range where it'll sit on a bench and fire a few rounds, then back into a case, meticulously cleaned at home, and then back into the safe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Meh, I like to keep my guns as nice as I can but a scratched rail doesn't bother me. I got a KMR because I wanted to keep my rifle as light as possible.

So far mine hasn't really scratched except for places were I had a keymod accessory.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]
People tend to get rather up in arms it seems when individuals on this forum bring up the issue of scratching their weapons. To be clear, I am of the same school of thought already asserted in this thread: my rifles are tools and I could care less if I scratch them or ding them so long as it doesn't affect function. I don't go out of my way to do so, but if it happens, oh well. Adds character. I've used horribly scratched and weathered M-4s and M-16s during my time in the military that I tend to think that my ARs look extremely clean, even with the little bit of wear on them. I guess it's all just about perspective.

However, I also believe that a dude's AR is a dude's AR. It isn't your AR. So, if he wants to baby it and keep it "nice" looking, then that's that. ARs can be investments up to several thousands of dollars. I can understand why someone would want to keep them nice and unscathed. Not everyone is taking their ARs on patrol or running them aggressively in carbine courses.

However, I feel like a lot of companies, especially ones like BCM, view their products as tools, meant to take a beating. They design products to take their lickins and keep on tickin. So, is being scratch-resistant a priority? Probably not. It doesn't mean it's a bad product, it just wasn't manufactured with that particular quality in mind, necessarily.

OP, I for one have zero issues with the fact that you don't want to buy something that scratches easily. It's your money, your experience, and your gun, man. I would just try to temper your expectations with the aforementioned in mind.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#9]
The KMR will scratch rather easily and will leave marks from adding/removing accessories. With that said if it's that big of a deal just have is duracoated or ceracoted and enjoy the rail for what it is, lightweight. I love the feel of mine and highly recommend you get one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What do you guys think?
View Quote

Why do you care if it gets scratches? It's a tool. It's meant to be used and shot. Think about it--every time you pull the trigger, an explosion happens inside the thing. No matter what brand or finish your gun is, if you shoot it, it will show signs of use. That's just part of the game.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate scratches but the KMR is so wildly light one must make exceptions.  And there's always BBQ paint.  It really is crazy light, like plastic light.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I sprayed mine with krylon when I first got it.  I didn't do it because I was worried about scratches, I just did it to match the rest of the rifle.

The paint has worn off in places, the rail is scratched.. life is much more enjoyable when you give 0 fucks.

If you want something lightweight, use it, shoot it, enjoy it.  

If you're worried about keeping 'nice things nice' then put your rifle on a stand in your living room and dust it frequently.

It's a tool/utility item.  Dress watches are supposed to look good, rifles are supposed to be shot.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only reason I haven't bought one is because Key Mod.  As soon as they do an M-lok version, I'm in.  I've got a can of Krylon to handle scratches.
View Quote

They won't have an M-LOK version. The guy that made the KMR, just so happens to be the same guy that implemented keymod to the ar-15 scene.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What do you guys think?
View Quote

If you train with your rifle, everything will get scratched sooner or later.

If you want to have a tea party with your stuffed animals toting AR-15s with pristine looking, heavy ass handguards, then get another rail.

If you want the lightest rail on the market, get the KMR.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm dying for an 18" upper with the kmr15 from them. I don't actually want to kmr, but it is the best of the choices they offer. But no, it being scratch prone wouldn't bother me.

Only reason I don't own one yet is because they don't have one to sell me and I'm not interested in the kmr13
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 2 BCM KMR complete uppers and a third on the way.  Once you get one in your hands it's hard to go back to anything else.  Mine have only seen some light range use, but they seem to be holding up fine.  Depending on how you use it I think the finish will last quite a while.  I've mounted sights, sling mounts, light mounts, and rail covers on mine and none of the finish was damaged in the process.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought it because I felt it would accomplish what I want better than its competition and was well aware that the finish will come off. Don't care in the slightest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What do you guys think?
View Quote

I see your point with cars...but guns aren't cars. You can drive a car and (if you're very, very careful) you can keep from scratching it. Guns are like 4WD Rubicon rigs. If you use it the way it's supposed to be used, it's going to show wear. I have a 1911 that quite literally lost ALL of its bluing, just from constant use. Didn't bother me a bit. In fact I thought it gave it character. What bothers me is letting myself get talked into re-bluing it.

A well-worn gun is like a well-worn Bible. It just looks better that way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I was worried about it, because I try to keep my stuff nice. It has been good.  I thought it would be super easy to make it ugly. I haven't seen that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#21]
It's a soft light duty handguard for light duty 3-gun type stuff and general fucking off.

Perfectly adequate for a hobby grade gun and pleasingly light.  Not military toughness, but it's much more enjoyable than any military junk.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What do you guys think?
View Quote

I try to keep all of my stuff mint as well. I have some guns I won't shoot, yes ARs, because I don't want to worry about messing them up.

With that being said. The KMR, to me, seems to be more of a working class type of rifle rail. The type of firearm that gets used and abused. They type of product that people don't care about finish just as long as it says in one piece. Just my $ .2
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I try to keep all of my stuff mint as well. I have some guns I won't shoot, yes ARs, because I don't want to worry about messing them up.

With that being said. The KMR, to me, seems to be more of a working class type of rifle rail. The type of firearm that gets used and abused. They type of product that people don't care about finish just as long as it says in one piece. Just my $ .2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you guys think?

I know we're sort of getting beyond tech at this point, but what in the hell is the point of that (the part highlighted in red)?    We're not talking about an all original 1930's Colt 1911 here.  Isn't the entire point of owning a firearm (outside of some rare historical pieces) to shoot it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#24]
It scratches easy as shit. Mine was flaking out of the box, as many of my friends' were as well. I had plans of cerakoting it from day one though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I see your point with cars...but guns aren't cars. You can drive a car and (if you're very, very careful) you can keep from scratching it. Guns are like 4WD Rubicon rigs. If you use it the way it's supposed to be used, it's going to show wear. I have a 1911 that quite literally lost ALL of its bluing, just from constant use. Didn't bother me a bit. In fact I thought it gave it character. What bothers me is letting myself get talked into re-bluing it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you guys think?

Right.. But there are cheap paint jobs that would scratch and fade easier then others.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:16:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's a soft light duty handguard for light duty 3-gun type stuff and general fucking off.

Perfectly adequate for a hobby grade gun and pleasingly light.  Not military toughness, but it's much more enjoyable than any military junk.
View Quote

Care to back any of that up with data or is it just your non professional opinion?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd bet money it would handle anything the Military could throw at it.

Nuff said.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:49:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd bet money it would handle anything the Military could throw at it.

Nuff said.
http://i.imgur.com/CUBo7mp.jpg

View Quote

lol I just sold the upper off my DD MK18 and replaced it with the 11.5 ELW-FLUTED KMR.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've noticed that you've been posting a lot lately. You should really get checked for a tumor or something because most of what you've been typing out is epically retarded.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't really see any scratches on my KMR, and I litterally run them through the mud, I still have dried up mud all over this thing, but don't really see any scratches, so I don't understand what you mean at all, I like the KMR, it's strong and light, I will continue to use them on all my builds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Right.. But there are cheap paint jobs that would scratch and fade easier then others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am surprised that I don't hear more people complaining about how easy it is to scratch. It seems that the popular attitude is: "The rail scratches VERY easily but I don't care”

"I don't care how my car looks as long as it performs well, its bound to get scratches anyway.”

What do you guys think?

If you're worried about scratches, then get your rifle cerakoted in a color that you can touch up with spray paint.

AR's are fighting rifles, but are turning into Barbie for men with all these whizbang accessories and furniture options. I have nice rifles that I don't intentionally mis-use because I want to keep them as robust as possible. My current usage is almost exclusively static range plinking. However, once I can shoe horn a carbine class into my schedule, it's go time and the rifle will get dirty/scratches etc. I've bought quality parts to ensure they will survive strenuous use.

I've never seen BCM put out anything that is not top-quality sandbox ready equipment. I've never been deployed, but I have friends that have and friends that run high-risk LE raids, and BCM is the gold standard save-your-bacon brand.

Worn rifles look better than NIB ones anyway; it gives some credibility that the damn thing functions properly.

If you want a AR to oohh and ahhh your friends, get a Larue or BRO w/ the skulls and chrome barrel.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#32]
I own KMR handguards and I think they have a lot going for them.  The big advantage is obviously weight, and I also think the mounting system is the best out of all the slim/tubular handguards out there.   That said, my opinion is that the KMR handguard isn't going to stand up to what certain others will.  Key word there is 'opinion'...I have nothing to back it up.  And I'm not bashing the KMR, I think it's a great design.   I still favor designs that *I* consider to be more robust (actually my preference is a true monolithic upper such as LMT's MRP) because I still put absolute durability above weight for my own uses.  Someone else may feel the KMR is just as strong or stronger than any other design, or may value lighter weight (or keymod vs picatinny, etc) above some perceived gain in durability, and that's ok.  This is one of the reasons I love the AR...so many options.  It's also why I spend so much money on AR's...so many things to try and form my own opinions on.

To each his own...
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Has anyone broken a KMR through regular use?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#35]
It seems that the popular attitude is: “The rail scratches VERY easily but I don't care”
View Quote

Lightest wt, strongest lock up, easy to install,the surface treatment is cosmetic the real treatment over the Magnesium metal alloy is light colored and shows through.
Unfortunately the outer surface layer is easy to erode exposing the real surface coating which makes people believe the surface is "scratched" when it really isn't.
That's probably why many folks will tell you they don't care about that as they know the metal is still protected even though it is exposed when the cosmetic surface treatment
is worn away in spots.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Supposed rumors of keymod attachments ripping off, but have not heard of broken barrel nuts and what not.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Pretty hard to beat the BCM KMR.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#38]
BCM KMR is awesome. No problems whatsoever, and install was a breeze. The rail is super comfy to hold, and light, but without feeling cheap or fragile. I think it could handle anything you throw at it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Supposed rumors of keymod attachments ripping off, but have not heard of broken barrel nuts and what not.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could see a VG possibly coming off.... If the VG breaks and the rail is still ok I don't really care. I want to pretend like I need "mil-spec" gear but I don't.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I could see a VG possibly coming off.... If the VG breaks and the rail is still ok I don't really care. I want to pretend like I need "mil-spec" gear but I don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand.  Are you saying it's a mil spec to mount a vertical grip?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I just want to know what makes it "soft and light duty" fit for only little girls playing in their backyard princess playhouse or range toys?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just want to know what makes it "soft and light duty" fit for only little girls playing in their backyard princess playhouse or range toys?
View Quote

Gunfighters...some companies have shooting teams
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...cringe...
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I am surprised that I don't hear more people complaining about how easy it is to scratch. It seems that the popular attitude is: "The rail scratches VERY easily but I don't care”

"I don't care how my car looks as long as it performs well, its bound to get scratches anyway.”

What do you guys think?

View Quote
I bought two.

I did scratch one of mine by accident, but I dont think they are overly suseptable to scratches. My build also is not a safe queen. I plan on taking care of it, but I built it  to shoot. If you are worried, send it out and cerakaote it priot to installation.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, I had a long reply to this all typed out expressing "that's what I mean. If they won't breaking it, you aren't going to" but just the link and what's at the other end say it all.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, I had a long reply to this all typed out expressing "that's what I mean. If they won't breaking it, you aren't going to" but just the link and what's at the other end say it all.

To clarify I posted the link to back up nateebobo's sarcasm to samuse's inane comment....

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#47]
just a headsup kinda fyi post. be sure not to over tighten the rail sections!!! this happened tightening one of the polymer sections to the rail. very lil resistence and i could hear the lil metal thing on back crushing through the kmr material. it turned to dust basically. (yes everything was on the right way, i have another 13" that this does not occur with) i beleive the rail section was out of whack or something tried the longer one and it tightened just fine.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
just a headsup kinda fyi post. be sure not to over tighten the rail sections!!! this happened tightening one of the polymer sections to the rail. very lil resistence and i could hear the lil metal thing on back crushing through the kmr material. it turned to dust basically. (yes everything was on the right way, i have another 13" that this does not occur with) i beleive the rail section was out of whack or something tried the longer one and it tightened just fine.

<a href="http://s344.photobucket.com/user/kinkbmx123456789/media/kmrdamage.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p334/kinkbmx123456789/kmrdamage.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s344.photobucket.com/user/kinkbmx123456789/media/bcmsale2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p334/kinkbmx123456789/bcmsale2.jpg</a>
View Quote

This may be a long shot, but if I were you I would email BCM with these pics. I crank down on my rail sections pretty well and I have not had this happen to me, or any of my buddies that have the KMR. They may send a replacement, or at least give you a gift card or something. That almost seems like a "defect".
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This may be a long shot, but if I were you I would email BCM with these pics. I crank down on my rail sections pretty well and I have not had this happen to me, or any of my buddies that have the KMR. They may send a replacement, or at least give you a gift card or something. That almost seems like a "defect".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s344.photobucket.com/user/kinkbmx123456789/media/kmrdamage.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p334/kinkbmx123456789/kmrdamage.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s344.photobucket.com/user/kinkbmx123456789/media/bcmsale2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p334/kinkbmx123456789/bcmsale2.jpg</a>

i emailed them along with pics, tried to explain what was happening they kept assuming it ripped out and told me that i didnt install right. after a few emails i just gave up trying to explain it didnt rip just happen when tightening. i didnt ask for a replacement or anything was just asking and thats what they said. ive since sold that upper for a lose. still got the 14.5 pinned with kmr so life is good
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I, personally, like it when my guns look fucked up.  In fact I will krylon stuff specifically because I know it'll wear off and look like its been through battle.  Of course it hasn't but I like the look
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top